Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   Blown Turbo Hose (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/blown-turbo-hose-71890.html)

ENFORCER 02-19-2014 05:35 AM

Blown Turbo Hose

Had the car in for 50kkm (nee 33k km) service on Monday as SVM's new service center in Brookvale.

I had noticed over the past few weeks that I could hear the whistle of the turbo more than normal and that the car was down on power. During the service they noticed the the pipe from the intercooler to the turbo had split.
Unfortunately they did not have it in stock, but promised it would be here by Wednesday. True to their word, they called on Tuesday and told me it was in.

It is being fitted in the morning, but it just a heads up to any CRD owners that are down on power or can hear the turbo louder than normal, that it may be a hose.

It is all being covered under warranty. I must admit, it is nice to get service and I can recommend SVM Brookvale's service center (not sales office). The Service manager also drives a white '14 SRT, and seems to know how to treat customers.

John47 02-19-2014 03:58 PM

Re: Blown Turbo Hose

About three months ago as we were accelerating from 80kph to 100kph joining the M1 at Robina, there was a thud from the front as if we hit a bird.
immediately the MIL came on and the vehicle lost power, but not limp mode either. Wouldn't pull the skin off a rice custard.
Looked around the front and under the bonnet - no sign of any issues, it idled perfectly.
Drove it to Frizelles at Southport, got the workshop foreman - he looked immediately down the side of the intercooler on the drivers side, grabbed the rubber turbo hose and flapped it around.
It had blown off the connection.
Bugger of a spot to get to, and I think they have an apprentice with very small hands, but the problem was fixed and we were on our way in 30 minutes.
Pleasure to deal with.
As a side note I was a bit surprised at the amount of oil that was blown around the area apparently out of the hose and intercooler.
50k service today.

ENFORCER 02-19-2014 04:56 PM

Oil in the intercooler lines is not uncommon in a turbo car. This also can cause a hose to slip off. Fitting a catchcan can reduce the amount of oil in the pipework, but will not prevent it.

Mine has a split and still had about 70% of its power, but I had felt it was less than normal.

Roachy 03-23-2014 12:58 AM

Reminded me (or at least gave me some incentive) to fit my Provent to limit the oil in the intake. Boy is there a lot of oil that comes through the crankcase return line.

ENFORCER 03-23-2014 03:21 AM

Would be a good candidate for a catch can.

Roachy 03-23-2014 03:56 AM

I agree, hence the reason for putting on the Provent catch can. But I'm still surprised how much oil comes through the crankcase return line. Basically the oil was dripping out of both the engine and the intake when I removed the factory piping and I hadn't had the engine on for over 18hrs.

BobT 03-23-2014 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John47 (Post 978661)
As a side note I was a bit surprised at the amount of oil that was blown around the area apparently out of the hose and intercooler.

A bit of upper cylinder lubricant won't hurt and you'll never have to buy Redex again.:)

WarrenK 03-23-2014 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ENFORCER (Post 978455)
Had the car in for 50kkm (nee 33k km) service on Monday as SVM's new service center in Brookvale.

I had noticed over the past few weeks that I could hear the whistle of the turbo more than normal and that the car was down on power. During the service they noticed the the pipe from the intercooler to the turbo had split.
Unfortunately they did not have it in stock, but promised it would be here by Wednesday. True to their word, they called on Tuesday and told me it was in.

It is being fitted in the morning, but it just a heads up to any CRD owners that are down on power or can hear the turbo louder than normal, that it may be a hose.

It is all being covered under warranty. I must admit, it is nice to get service and I can recommend SVM Brookvale's service center (not sales office). The Service manager also drives a white '14 SRT, and seems to know how to treat customers.

A friend's son has a 2009 KK Jeep with 70,000 klms and it blew a turbo hose and went into limp mode. Out of warranty, hose cost $687+ gst. Today it was fixed, cost with labour for fitting and to reset limp mode, $857.

Warren

UncleMurphy 03-24-2014 01:08 AM

This is an issue that is widely known along the Chrysler Jeep Dodge community with the diesel V.M Motori engines blowing or splitting turbo hoses.

This occurs on Wranglers, Nitros and Cherokee KKs that were fitted with the 2.8L engine and seems to also occur with the GC 3.0L engine.

Aftermarket solutions have been made for the 2.8L engines in the form of metal turbo hoses, but I'm not quite sure if they have made any for the 3.0L engine.

whistling Noise => CRD Turbo Hoses - Leak, Crack - Dodge Nitro Forum