Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   '14 - UConnect Access Trial Expiration and Renewal Cost (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/14-uconnect-access-trial-expiration-and-renewal-cost-71951.html)

JC_0105 02-20-2014 06:42 PM

'14 - UConnect Access Trial Expiration and Renewal Cost

2 Attachment(s)
Just received an e-mail about my UConnect Access trial subscription expiring on 4/17. The price for the service is stated at $19.99 per month!! :mad: This is an insane amount of money for what the service provides IMO. Does anyone know if the via mobile apps stops working if I don't renew? They seem to make it appear that way but on the renewal site they don't have an option to renew the via Mobile apps.

Does anyone know if this is the list price but if you call to cancel or ask for a better price you can get a much cheaper more reasonable price (like with SiriusXM)?

glock17 02-20-2014 07:26 PM

Re: '14 - UConnect Access Trial Expiration and Renewal Cost

Quote:

Originally Posted by JC_0105 (Post 979303)
Just received an e-mail about my UConnect Access trial subscription expiring on 4/17. The price for the service is stated at $19.99 per month!! :mad: This is an insane amount of money for what the service provides IMO. Does anyone know if the via mobile apps stops working if I don't renew? They seem to make it appear that way but on the renewal site they don't have an option to renew the via Mobile apps.

Does anyone know if this is the list price but if you call to cancel or ask for a better price you can get a much cheaper more reasonable price (like with SiriusXM)?

I just got the same email - it is a high price to pay versus that of what I paid for Onstar. The issues I've had are making me think not of renewal - Looks like I loose voice texting (doesn't and hasn't worked on the Iphone), 911 - can use cell phone, remote start (use fob), yelp (never used it). I do see that the mobile apps expire on 3-2018 not sure where that date comes from.

tony4311 02-20-2014 07:43 PM

I won't be paying $20 a month. Once it expires I'm done with it.

f1anatic 02-20-2014 07:56 PM

I got the same e-mail. Come think of it, I haven't used a single service. And the settings that I thought would be useful - like getting a text message when the car alarm went off, only worked in trials, not in practice. And without a shock sensor it is almost useless.

if the price of 20$/mo. Included Sirius XM, I would have done it. Separately, no way. Plus all those apps didn't work for half a year.

BobsWK2 02-20-2014 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f1anatic (Post 979357)
if the price of 20$/mo. Included Sirius XM, I would have done it. Separately, no way. Plus all those apps didn't work for half a year.

By right, any decent manufacturer would realize that the apps didn't work for most of the model year and they should extend the service at no charge. But with Chrysler, that's not going to happen. As Marlon said in another post, Chrysler is cheap.

dubwarren 02-20-2014 08:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Is this what you guys are talking about?

dubwarren 02-20-2014 08:28 PM

If so. Hahahaha. They are CRAZY if they think I'm paying for that.... Never happen.

padgett 02-20-2014 09:19 PM

I pay $35/mo for a 3GB/mo MiFi device I can use with anything and in any car & the RV. Provides a hotspot for up to five devices.

Have used at home for telecommuting when cable has gone out. Have had for several years so may be better deals out there but as a backup & for use when camping is all I've needed.

hobart 02-20-2014 09:46 PM

I haven't got the email yet but I was wondering what others would be doing. $20 a month for UConnect is a lot for what you get. SiriusXM is another thing. These are the yearly prices I've come up with.

SiriusXM Satellite Radio $199.00
SiriusXM Traffic 43.89
SiriusXM Travel Link 21.89
NavWeather 43.89
SiriusXM Traffic, Travel Link and NavWeather $98.89 a year

I'm leaning to just getting the satellite radio. I like other features but since I already get them from my Android, I'll skip them. It's a shame to have this nice radio system but then get nickle and dimed to use it.

Wow, the more I think about it I'm getting pissed. $240 a year for UConnect? Wow!

I love my Jeep

dubwarren 02-20-2014 09:54 PM

Paying 240 a year allows one to lock/unlock , start and enable the panic function from your cell phone, is that right?

hardy616 02-20-2014 11:19 PM

lol

SLLJG 02-20-2014 11:27 PM

I'll let my subscription lapse because UConnect Access for $250 a year is a very poor value. Yelp on the Jeep is a stripped version of the iPhone app. Messaging doesn't work with my iPhone 5 anyway. The key fob offers the same functions and utility of the smartphone app at no cost. The other features of UConnect Access are not worth Jeep's charge.

If Chrysler wants me to buy another Jeep, it ought to make UConnect Access freely available. By the way, my Jeep's UConnect still suffers from buggy, unreliable UConnect software and firmware. My iPhone's map apps are so much more trustworthy.