Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Observations of a new Owner (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/observations-of-a-new-owner-71965.html)

Unobtanium 02-21-2014 08:10 AM

Observations of a new Owner

I just purchased a 2010 Grand Jeep Cherokee Limited w/tow package/Quadra-Drive II with 69,XXX miles on it. Below are my observations so far, and I would love to know what others thing/any advise.

-Quality: For a 2010 Domestic, VERY HIGH. Mechanically it is amazing. Interior-wise, I give it an 8/10. Very impressed. The reason for the 2 points off is that the leather facing on the seats seems to have some microscopic breaks/cracks in its surface. Almost where I want to ask if this is 100% normal?

-Driveline: The 5.7 Hemi is superb. The fuel-saver feature is transparent to the passenger, and BARELY noted by the driver. Mainly at low-speed if you punch it. The transmission shifts with authority and composure. 4-Low is a monster. Fuel-mileage has been around 16.3 figured by hand 80% highway, figured by the computer 18-20 highway and 13 town. I put 87 in the tank and got no warnings or errors or rough running.

-NAV: This thing deserves special mention. It's very usable, but XM presets are impossible to program--I am going to have to actually fish out the manual to put in a dang preset. The screen/graphics are way behind the times. The guidance is excellent, though!

-Features: Insane! My 370Z was fully loaded, 2012. This Jeep has so much more USEFUL stuff. Like brights that automatically turn off when it senses other cars. Yes, I tried it, and it did VERY WELL! I was amazed. The parking sensor is nice. Seems more like for indoor garages or a trailer, though, as you have to be CLOSE. Back-up camera is expected and present.

-Suspension: My vehicle needs new tires and an alignment, so some of this may correct. It has some delay for input when on center. The steering is scary "light" for someone used to a sports car. Turning radius is VERY impressive. Cornering is remarkably flat. It handles bumps a bit "floaty", but there is no "bounce". It doesn't seem as though the suspension is worn, but rather, tuned for comfort vs. performance handling. Traction is absurd with the AWD.

All-in-all, I am very happy I traded my 370Z for this vehicle, and do not regret it in the least. Thanks to the board for all of the advise! I am sure I will require more, and hopefully can provide more, as I learn and experience more!

jeepgcoman 02-21-2014 08:49 PM

Re: Observations of a new Owner

Glad you're happy with your choice. I think you'll find that if you're proactive and prompt with your maintenance (scheduled and unscheduled) that you'll have a relatively trouble free ride. I've had my 06 GCO for a little over 4 years now (~48K when I bought it and almost 89K now) and, knock on wood, haven't had any problems worth talking about. As with any vehicle, once you "get to know it better" you'll be able to recognize when something isn't quite right.

dmsfun 02-22-2014 08:42 AM

Light steering is partly due to the worn tires. Sway bar links and bushings wear out in under 40k, so replace those and it will tighten things up. Put a Billet tech catch can on it before anything else, then clean the throttle body carefully (reset ECU afterwards by unhooking battery neg.), and give it the seafoam treatment in the oil and gas tank, and it will respond a WHOLE lot better. All Hemis will develop a tick after 23-30k, from sticking MDS lifters, which cause poor drivability and need to be freed up. Seafoam does a great job of this by adding in the oil about 100 miles before changing it out.
Mine is just under 100k and has zero ticks, also is much faster, quieter and smoother than new, with the upgrades.

kennzz05 02-22-2014 08:47 AM

^^^^^x100 on the catch can
https://www.google.com/search?q=bill...sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Unobtanium 02-23-2014 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmsfun (Post 980251)
Light steering is partly due to the worn tires. Sway bar links and bushings wear out in under 40k, so replace those and it will tighten things up. Put a Billet tech catch can on it before anything else, then clean the throttle body carefully (reset ECU afterwards by unhooking battery neg.), and give it the seafoam treatment in the oil and gas tank, and it will respond a WHOLE lot better. All Hemis will develop a tick after 23-30k, from sticking MDS lifters, which cause poor drivability and need to be freed up. Seafoam does a great job of this by adding in the oil about 100 miles before changing it out.
Mine is just under 100k and has zero ticks, also is much faster, quieter and smoother than new, with the upgrades.

I just looked at my end-links and sway-bar bushings. They look and feel great. They have even distance all-around the sway-bar/end-link, and they are soft and pliable, not dry-rotted. There is no slack in the components when firmly grasped and pulled at, either. I think any performance increase in replacement would be very minimal for those components.

What does "hemi tick" sound like? I do not think I have it, as this is the quietest running V8 I have ever owned (LS1/LS7/pushrod 5.0/SOHC 5.4).

All except for the belt. It is kindof noisy when you crank the vehicle cold. Squeaks a bit until it warms up. Not when you accelerate and not a screech, just a tiny muted squeaking that goes away once warm.

Also, everyone keeps saying "Catch can", but the motor has made it nearly 70K without one and runs like a sewing machine. I can certainly understand it for those who lean out the tune using a handheld tuner (I would never do a canned tune on anything, specifically for reasons like this), but for a stock, OEM configuration vehicle...why? Yes, I am aware some oil can get into the combustion chamber, my LS1 was bad about that, too, but it never caused an issue in 150K+ miles with that vehicle, either.

johngreen1234 02-25-2014 12:13 PM

The theory with the catch can is that the oil returning into the intake causes the engine to retard the timing, reducing hp. Additionally, that's more gunk geting into the inards. I have an Arrington catch can and I'm always surprised at how much oil ends up there.

I agree the suspension has a bit of a dead spot right at the top of the l/r sway. Unbelievably, new tires actually did a lot to help, as said. It is this dead spot that I might chase with the srt sway bars.

FYI, the "Sea Foam Treatment" is an off-label use. Sea Foam does a great job of cleaning the fuel path but I'm not pouring it into my oil and I don't recommend anyone else do that, either.

I agree with everything the OP said, and I don't even have the NAV unit. I see a LOT of value in the WK, along with a lot of silly electrical doodads that can't possibly make it reliably to 200k miles, my goal with my girl.

And then there's the Hemi. Ah, the Hemi. To quote Uncle Ben, the Hemi is constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy.

Ariont 02-25-2014 07:07 PM

I just got a 2009 GC Overland with the 5.7 myself. Had 126,000 on it when I picked it up and have put a little over 3000 on it in 6 weeks.

I was at Top Gun Customz today looking to see about putting a 2" Rough Country lift kit and a set of Bilstein shocks and struts on it.

Havent' decided yet what I'm going to do. My mechanic told me not to put the lift kit on it as it will cause all sorts of computer problems and additional wear on my front end.... I understand if I change from the OEM size tires that I'll need to reflash the computer. Guys at topguncustomz said with the 2" lift that everything in the suspension would remain factory and not cause any problems. *shrug* (My mechanic has worked on all of my cars and trucks for 20 years so I'm not sure what to think)

5.7 Hemi - What can I say other than wow. I've missed this kind of power since I sold my F 150 with a 351 Cleveland Block. Smooth, ready to go at a drop of a hat and I'm getting average 18+ mpg highway, think about 14 city.

Like you I'm very satisfied with the interior and there are so many goodies I wonder if I'll ever figure them all out.

I think we're both going to be loving our new cars for a long time.. :D

Unobtanium 02-27-2014 11:56 PM

Good stuff! I like that the hemi does so well in the upper rpm range. Also that 3.xx first gear helps a lot.

dmsfun 03-02-2014 11:12 AM

Catch Can; better performance as noted above, and keeps the intake and throttle body clean. with 69k, unless it was done before, your throttle body is going to be totally caked with thick gunk. Easy to check, take off the intake and look at it. Remove and carefully clean thoroughly. I used rubbing alcohol with soft rags and q-tips in the crevices until it looked like new. It takes time, but well worth it, and don't use carb cleaner, or the like. Unhook the battery neg while doing this to reset the ECU, as it will idle high with the clean TB. That alone will make it run far better. I have used Seafoam in the oil 6 times, which makes a big improvement in how it runs by loosening up the stuck MDS lifters. Those who say don't do it have obviously never tried it and have no clue as to how well it works and how much better the hemi runs after treatment.

johngreen1234 03-02-2014 01:03 PM

Correct on all three counts. Similarly, I'm not really sure what the front-impact rating is. Should I try it?