Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/)
-   -   Help Needed For WK Grand Cherokee ! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/help-needed-for-wk-grand-cherokee-7205.html)

Quarterwave 03-05-2010 11:54 AM

Help Needed For WK Grand Cherokee !

Hi all,

I recently replaced the factory Boston Acoustic head unit in my '05 WK with a Kenwood Excelon-series head unit, using a PAC interface. The problem that I'm having is that the sound will not fade from front to back - well.... it will technically, but no sound comes out of the rear speakers when set to full rear fade - whereas they all work when set to "neutral".

From what I've read, any aftermarket interface makes the BA amp change from a 4 channel to a 2 channel (tried 2 different Metra CHO-03's (?) and they were very "buggy" with lots of other issues).

So, as I hate having the sound blasting from the dash speakers and bouncing straight off the front window, I'm wondering what my options are in regards to getting the fade-feature back.

- How difficult is it to intergrate another amp into the system ?
- Can I splice into the speaker wire and get power from the same harness or do I have to run another power lead from the battery ?
- I tried by passing the factory amp a while ago (the plan was to just use the power from the head unit) using a long-ass cable that ran from the head to the amp in the back) and ended up shorting out the starter somehow. So, car electronics are clearly not my strong suit....

Anyway, any help / ideas would be great !

White WK Swagga 03-05-2010 11:54 AM

Re: Help Needed For WK Grand Cherokee !

Maaaaaaaaaaaaatt!!!!! Where are you??????? LOL

Matt 03-05-2010 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quarterwave (Post 164090)
Hi all,

I recently replaced the factory Boston Acoustic head unit in my '05 WK with a Kenwood Excelon-series head unit, using a PAC interface. The problem that I'm having is that the sound will not fade from front to back - well.... it will technically, but no sound comes out of the rear speakers when set to full rear fade - whereas they all work when set to "neutral".

From what I've read, any aftermarket interface makes the BA amp change from a 4 channel to a 2 channel (tried 2 different Metra CHO-03's (?) and they were very "buggy" with lots of other issues).

So, as I hate having the sound blasting from the dash speakers and bouncing straight off the front window, I'm wondering what my options are in regards to getting the fade-feature back.

I've never used the harness, but I know that you lose fade with it. So, you are trying to fade your stereo to the rear? WHY!? LOL

If anything you want to fade it to the front.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quarterwave (Post 164090)
- How difficult is it to intergrate another amp into the system ?

You'd have to run a power wire from the battery to eh amp, RCA's from the radio to the amp, ground the amp, tap into the speaker wires at the factory amp. Nothing difficult, just time consuming.

Matt 03-05-2010 12:38 PM

Also, if you don't like the impact of the dash speakers, you could try using an EQ or some sort of treble adjustment on the new radio to reduce it.

CatMan879 03-05-2010 12:39 PM

Metras CHTO-013 shoudl work for you since it has the rca's allowing you to fade and balance i use this harness and it workd fine for me the Pac C2R-CHY4 is the one you need to watch out for since you are not able to fade with it im not sure if you have jsut recieved bad interfaces or what but the Metra has worked for me with no issues at all

Matt 03-05-2010 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GhettoB879 (Post 164138)
Metras CHTO-013 shoudl work for you since it has the rca's allowing you to fade and balance i use this harness and it workd fine for me the Pac C2R-CHY4 is the one you need to watch out for since you are not able to fade with it im not sure if you have jsut recieved bad interfaces or what but the Metra has worked for me with no issues at all

Whoops, that's the one I was thinking of :o That one seems to be the issue with fading.

CatMan879 03-05-2010 01:02 PM

Yea i found out the hard way the that PACs dont have fading and balancing thats was also a while ago when i was trying to figure out why the hell i didnt have sounds after installing it seems that another little blue wire that u need to attach but thats a different topic all togeather. the Pac interface is great if u want to keep you steering wheel controls, the metra is for the balancing and fading

White WK Swagga 03-05-2010 01:22 PM

Matt I faded my speakers to the frone with it a little to the rear and it's 100x better. I guess in my head all speakers had to be balanced evenly. Matt you are a more smarter man than people give you credit for. I'm glad you're here bro!!!

Quarterwave 03-05-2010 04:47 PM

Thanks for all of the responses everyone. Over the weekend I'll have a look at my order history on Crutchfield and find out what the exact part #'s were for the harnesses.

I don't have steering-mounted controls, so no problem there.

The thing is, for years I made a living as a guitarist, and so after having my head in front of a guitar speaker cabinet during that time, my ears are a bit sensitive to treble - when I try to EQ it out, I lose clarity, so in the past, it's just better for me to be able to run a small % of the signal into the rears to take the edge off.

I'll definitely check out the Metra though, as it was a couple of years ago that I tried it out.

Thanks ! :thumbsup:

Matt 03-05-2010 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quarterwave (Post 164286)
Thanks for all of the responses everyone. Over the weekend I'll have a look at my order history on Crutchfield and find out what the exact part #'s were for the harnesses.

I don't have steering-mounted controls, so no problem there.

The thing is, for years I made a living as a guitarist, and so after having my head in front of a guitar speaker cabinet during that time, my ears are a bit sensitive to treble - when I try to EQ it out, I lose clarity, so in the past, it's just better for me to be able to run a small % of the signal into the rears to take the edge off.

I'll definitely check out the Metra though, as it was a couple of years ago that I tried it out.

Thanks ! :thumbsup:

I hear ya, I too am sensitive to the 10khz-up. I have mine pretty heavily EQ'd up there.

jeepaholic 03-05-2010 07:27 PM

I replaced my HU with a pioneer avic z2. I used a peripheral interface that also loses the ability to fade. What I did was add a Kicker4x200 4 channel amp that puts out 50w per channel. This particular amp acts as (2) 2 channel amps by separating the inputs into 2 or you can use 1 input for both sides.I ran an RCA from the rear output of the HU to the amp in the rear cargo tray where the amp is mounted. Anyways, I added some 3.5" speakers with separate tweeters on the rear D pillars which are the ones near the hatch. I then took the rear door speakers and ran a wire directly to one side of the amp and the pillar speakers to the other. By doing this I can fade front to rear and control the gain separately between door speakers and those on the pillar. I can also control the frequency like an EQ individually.

Quarterwave 03-29-2010 03:26 PM

Hey guys,

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the wiring instructions for this Metra CHTO-013 interface ? I grabbed a recon-unit of eBay, and it wasn't incl. in the auction.... I've looked online, but can't find aynthing.

Thanks for any help !