Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/)
-   -   Dealer Can't Program New Keys (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/dealer-cant-program-new-keys-72118.html)

Knighthawk36 02-25-2014 01:08 AM

Dealer Can't Program New Keys

If there is already a thread for this, just please point me to it.

I have a bit of a dilemma. When I got my WJ a while back it only had one key. Now I realize that this seems to be a common problem, however, I DID take the Jeep to the dealer to have an extra key made for my wife. The dealer said that it wasn't accepting the programming and that a new module would have to be installed in the Jeep to be able to program keys again. According to the Dealer this module would cost about $300 plus labor. I mean if I lose the only key I have, I am screwed, but for reasons that I am not going to go into, I am not sure how much I trust this guy at the dealership. Is there ANY way to test this module to make sure that it is indeed defective before shelling out some $400? Or is it something that I am going to have to take him at his word for.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Frango100 02-25-2014 07:20 AM

Re: Dealer Can't Program New Keys

A key can only be programmed once to a certain vehicle SKIM (Sentry Key Immobilizer Module). During the programming, the fixed key code is programmed into the SKIM memory and the key chip will store the SKIM secret code. After this the key can never be programmed again to an other vehicle SKIM or just a new SKIM. Can it be that the key was programmed before?
There are locksmits who can do the programming as well, so you could give it a try with an other key overthere.
Once you have two keys programmed, you can do extra keys yourself up until a total of 8 keys.

Knighthawk36 02-25-2014 07:33 AM

No, I bought the key from him at the time when he was trying to program it in. Thanx, SKIM was the word I was trying to remember.

So is there no way I could test the SKIM myself?:confused:

Frango100 02-25-2014 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knighthawk36 (Post 981968)
So is there no way I could test the SKIM myself?:confused:

As far as i know the SKIM can only be tested with a DRBIII scanner. The SKIM itself seems to be working correctly, otherwise the engine would not start.

Knighthawk36 02-26-2014 12:58 PM

So what would keep it from accepting new keys? This is a little further into car knowledge than I have.

I have tried Googling it, but all I can find is people who can't get their vehicles to start. Nothing like the issue I have.

hoffmanestates 02-28-2014 06:24 AM

jeep tech probably failed and wants to hide the failure in a $300 skim, what's next the harness? possibly a new jeep as they can't program a spare key.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2