Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

CHE Sydney Custom Air Intake for 2014 SRT

Tags
2014 srt
12K views 61 replies 24 participants last post by  MexicanBatman 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

My mates at Castle Hill Exhaust had my jeep today and have made a custom air intake.

I am going to be driving with it on my car for a week, at which time, if there are no issues it will be coming back off, and it will be used as a template, so more can be made.

The filter sits down the bottom of the engine bay, underneath the chassis rail, and obviously has a custom alloy pipe up to the TB.

Unlike the Bwoody, we have left the original washer bottle in, which means there are no mods needed to fit the air intake, However due to still running the stock washer bottle the largest tube we can get through is 3.5".

After doing 60km tonight, this is what I have found so far,
Whilst moving the IAT's are 6-7 degrees C hotter than ambient temperature.
Once stationary in traffic, the IAT does go up, however the minute you start moving again, it drops straight back to 6-7 above ambient.

Next note, the throttle is more responsive and the gearbox in normal mode is a lot smoother, probably because you are driving with less throttle percentage.

I will keep you all update, and let you know once we have them ready to go.

Expected price is likely to be between $350-400 dollars AUD.

Hope this might help a few of us here in AUS / SYD.

Have fun

Marc

See less See more
#6 ·
Excited!

#7 ·
I like this a lot!

#12 ·
Morning All,

Quick Update.

Intake performing fine as expected, no rattles, noises or anything adverse.

IAT range from 3-7 degrees above ambient when moving, and as expected climb in bumper to bumper traffic, but once you start moving again they fall straight back down.

Dark Hue, Wasn't planning on adding any thermal rap currently, however that could be easily done.

What we are going to try though, is after this one has been used as a template, and made the jig, i will then have this intake HPC coated. This is the same coating used on extractors to keep heat in, and not let the engine bay get hot.
A HPC coated extractor, you can get you had right next to it while its really hot, and not really feel any heat, if you where to touch it it would burn you, but the coating doesn't let the heat radiate out.

So i am going to assume, that it may also work in reverse, and not allow heat to penetrate through hence keeping the pipe and IAT's cooler.

Its only an idea, and i have asked the question of the coater, but i think i will just have to try this and see how we go.

Whats Next,
I am going to Wagga Wagga for the weekend, so i will do over 1000km this weekend with the intake fitted.
When i get back next week, we will Dyno the car with the intake on, and then remove the intake, and put the standard air box back in and again dyne the car.
This will give us a figure for how many AWKW we gain with the intake.
After that, We will get the jig made, and start making a few of these ready to be sold.

Mine will hopefully get HPC coated and be back on again about a week after the jig has been made, so will test the coating then.

Hope this keeps everyone up to date.

Have fun

Marc

#15 ·
Hi All,

Sorry, Was away last week with work.

Intake is coming off mine this afternoon, and will be being jigged this week!
Should be able to sell them from later next week i would imagine atm.

I have done 2500km with it on, and no issues or dramas at all.

Thanks

Marc

#20 ·
Morning All,

Firstly, yes you could hear a slight difference, especially on a WOT stab of the throttle.

And next, i'm sure we could get them sent out internationally.

Chris is busy jigging this up, and as i said should have some made ready, later next week.

I have spoken with our coating experts, and i will be getting mine HPC coated for testing, which we believe will stop it getting as hot while stationary in traffic.

We won't be making this an option until we have proven if it works or not.

Also, once mines ready to go back on, i will throw mine on the dyno, and run it up stock, and then without moving the car, we will fit the intake and run it again. As close as back to back as we can get it really!

I will let everyone know once they are ready.

#22 ·
Would be interested, any full engine pics? Where you pulling air from? The filter looks smaller than injen? What size is it?

#23 ·
What are the install procedures? Will you need to remove the wheel and liner similar to the bwoody?

#24 ·
Hi Guys,

The pipe is 3.5" so the filter is bigger than the pipe and quiet long.

The filter sits down under the passenger side (LEFT) chassis rail next to the washer bottle, so draws air from the under tray and the vent on the left hand side.

Fitting, will have full instructions, but 2 ways, either remove the under tray from car or work through the opening in the under tray, and you can still get it on.
Just a little harder without removing the tray.
Other than that all is done from up top.

As for pictures, the one above is from the inspection hole on the under tray and the photos in the first page show from above. hard to get any better photos than that.

Hope that helps.

Thanks

Marc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.