Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   2014 Reliability Question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/2014-reliability-question-72221.html)

OutsiderWV 02-27-2014 08:05 AM

2014 Reliability Question

Hello all,

I am considering purchasing a JGC this weekend or next and have done quite a bit of research on this forum and various other websites. I am very excited about ordering one this weekend, however upon reading so many issues I have become somewhat cautious now.

I know that initially, there were some issues with the 2014 pertaining to the tranny and its shift points, the uconnect system (freezing, etc.), electronics, and vibrations in the tires/suspension (all tires/wheel sizes).

I am hoping that I can get some advice and feedback within the forum that can help shed some light to if these issues still exist or if they have largely been eliminated with current production 2014's.

The JGC I am considering is the 2014 Limited, 4x4, with the 8.4AN (No other options).

Thanks in advance and talk me into ordering it this weekend :)

AquaForester 02-27-2014 08:17 AM

Re: 2014 Reliability Question

I recently (less than 2 months ago) took delivery of a 2014 limited, 4x4, 8.4AN. So far it's been flawless.

Roger Ramjet 02-27-2014 08:31 AM

I have about 1800 miles on my Overland now with zero issues. September build date.

jerjam28 02-27-2014 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OutsiderWV (Post 983260)
Hello all,

I am considering purchasing a JGC this weekend or next and have done quite a bit of research on this forum and various other websites. I am very excited about ordering one this weekend, however upon reading so many issues I have become somewhat cautious now.

I know that initially, there were some issues with the 2014 pertaining to the tranny and its shift points, the uconnect system (freezing, etc.), electronics, and vibrations in the tires/suspension (all tires/wheel sizes).

I am hoping that I can get some advice and feedback within the forum that can help shed some light to if these issues still exist or if they have largely been eliminated with current production 2014's.

The JGC I am considering is the 2014 Limited, 4x4, with the 8.4AN (No other options).

Thanks in advance and talk me into ordering it this weekend :)

I'm in the same boat, planning on possibly picking up a 2014 Limited as well. I would like to also ask if the more recent builds are still having issues with the HVAC blowing extremely hot air out regardless of what temperature you have set at, and the alignment with the rear bumper and tail lights, as these have been issues I'm worried about as well.

9PointStar 02-27-2014 08:45 AM

I have a December build date Overland and not a single issue so far.

SnoFire 02-27-2014 09:02 AM

Just make sure that the dealer does the tranny updates and updates the radio to latest firmware on the UConnect system. That is the only reason I have had mine into the dealer and everything is fine now. This still would not deter me from buying a jeep again.

OutsiderWV 02-27-2014 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoFire (Post 983285)
Just make sure that the dealer does the tranny updates and updates the radio to latest firmware on the UConnect system. That is the only reason I have had mine into the dealer and everything is fine now. This still would not deter me from buying a jeep again.

Correct me if I am wrong, but if you order a new JGC shouldn't they come with the latest updates as they are built at the factory?

SnoFire 02-27-2014 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OutsiderWV (Post 983288)
Correct me if I am wrong, but if you order a new JGC shouldn't they come with the latest updates as they are built at the factory?

Not necessarily. Whatever they are using in the plant is what you get. I wouldn't assume that it is the latest and greatest. It isn't hard for the dealer to do the update if you ask.

mswlogo 02-27-2014 09:22 AM

Check the build date on the door Jam. Make sure it's built after August 2013.

If it's older than Jan 2014 make sure it has ALL Firmware updated.

I think most quirks are addressed. But steering wheel shimmy still comes up. And heater issues. I have neither problem. Mine is a Limited like you are looking at plus Tow. August Build.

It was way more complex than "Shift Points" in transmission. Mine still shift aggressively as it always has but works great now.

P.S. I sure wish I got the collision Avoidance System. Think seriously about it. If it safes one life, what's it worth to you.

OutsiderWV 02-27-2014 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mswlogo (Post 983295)
Check the build date on the door Jam. Make sure it's built after August 2013.

If it's older than Jan 2014 make sure it has ALL Firmware updated.

I think most quirks are addressed. But steering wheel shimmy still comes up. And heater issues. I have neither problem. Mine is a Limited like you are looking at plus Tow. August Build.

It was way more complex than "Shift Points" in transmission. Mine still shift aggressively as it always has but works great now.

P.S. I sure wish I got the collision Avoidance System. Think seriously about it. If it safes one life, what's it worth to you.

Thanks for all the input so far guys. Question on the post above, if ordering the vehicle (which is what I plan to do), wouldn't the build date be early March 2014? Also, with the build I am looking at it would be the 18" rims. Is the shimmy issue as common in that tire size or does it matter. Also for the shimmy issues, will a test drive at 60 - 75 mph find it as I inspect before final signoff?

Also, is the Uconnect system and related issues largely worked out at this point?

burgher 02-27-2014 09:40 AM

bought our 2014 Overland 4x4 with V8 and 20" wheels in June 2013 (May 2013 build date) ... no problems with 7800 miles. traded in an X5 and I have no regrets ... nice vehicle.

bill_de 02-27-2014 10:04 AM

My March 13 build Overland w/V8 and Off Road 2 package has been pretty solid. I had one problem (warning lights all lighting) which did not effect driving and was ultimately fixed with a software update. I had one mechanical problem (bad wheel bearing) which was repaired with a replacement part.

The first issue was related to all the new technology and would be fixed by now no matter what the build date. The second issue was not related to year, make , or model. The bearing manufacturers supply multiple brands and sometimes one goes bad.

There have been a good number of updates to address issues that affected the GC's. Not every vehicle needed every update because not every vehicle had the issues being addressed. Since some/(all?) components are programmed in the factory where they are built, not necessarily on the assembly line, the dealer should hook the car up and check for updates before delivery.

There are still some issues (mostly inconveniences) being reported be a number of folks, and a couple of more serious issues being reported by a relatively few people.

IMHO - Jeep has gotten the big stuff taken care of nicely. They do need to do some work on the small stuff.

Coming up on my Jeep's first birthday in 2 weeks, I have no regrets.

---