Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Detailing (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/)
-   -   Polishing Advice (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/polishing-advice-72238.html)

jsann 02-27-2014 05:51 PM

Polishing Advice

I am fairly new to detailing and have a 2013 GC Briliant Black that I am looking to polish and detail. Something hit me and for some reason I am determined to get the absolute perfect shine on the truck. More recently, for the first time ever, I clayed the GC, polished and waxed and fell in love with the shine and reflection. I have owned many cars and never once had the urge to put any elbow grease into them. But after my first amateur detailing job I seem to want more.

Being inexperience and the average car owner I was under the impression a wash is a wash, until I started researching. After the clay job I started washing the truck with a washing brush and I noticed scratch marks that I believe are coming from the bristles. The scratches could only be seen under heavy lighting.

I plan to perform a 3 step polishing job on the the truck using a DA polisher. With so many correction compounds out there I am stuck on what brand to go with. I have been looking at the Chemical Guys V series and the Meguiar M series.

I wanted to see what you guys are using and suggest.

GunnySpook 02-27-2014 07:21 PM

Re: Polishing Advice

Zaino Store

2014BB 02-27-2014 10:04 PM

Meguiars M105 & M205

jbjones85 02-27-2014 10:28 PM

I use the Adams 2 step And have had great results.

deep18 02-27-2014 10:58 PM

Make your way here....Autogeekonline Auto Detailing Forum

More information than you'll ever need. Some really smart people over there.

Love the Brilliant Black, my 04 is Brilliant Black and I still stare at it.

ExcursionDiesel 02-27-2014 11:35 PM

After a claybar and polish, I'd wax it and then only spray wash or hand wash. I doubt there is a brush that won't leave scratches. Of course, you know this now! You can try the finest polishing compound on a clean dry cloth on a small area to see if it will remove the scratches. If not, try the next next finest compound. The is no sense in using a heavy compound if a lighter one will work. The deeper the scratches, the more clear coat has to be removed. Hopefully they are light scratches. Go slow and good luck!

jsann 02-28-2014 07:31 AM

Thanks for the advice fellas. I think I am going to go with the Meguiars M105 & 205 since I have always been using Meguiars product.

BuckeyeSRT 02-28-2014 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsann (Post 983817)
Thanks for the advice fellas. I think I am going to go with the Meguiars M105 & 205 since I have always been using Meguiars product.

I cut my teeth with Meguiars #83 and #80 and have only used M205 so far. I think you will be happy but I encourage you to read and read...and read. Take your time and enjoy.:thumbsup:
Oh and don't forget to show us here your results :D

Nick@Adams 02-28-2014 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsann (Post 983547)
More recently, for the first time ever, I clayed the GC, polished and waxed and fell in love with the shine and reflection.

You have the sickness now, my friend. I remember back when I caught it as well. :)

When you have a spare moment, cruise through our videos. We spend a lot of time and effort on them to help take some of the confusion out of the world of detailing.

Instructional Detailing Videos

We also offer a forum discount (listed in my sig) for you guys here as well if you ever want to pick up and goods form us.

One last thing...PLEASE don't wash your Jeep with a brush. Wash pads are a much better option. :thumbsup:

CNY_WK2 02-28-2014 04:59 PM

This is an excellent page for beginners

Auto Detailing Guide

I don't use the same products but it gives a general idea of exactly what to do

BuckeyeSRT 02-28-2014 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick@Adams (Post 984068)
You have the sickness now, my friend. I remember back when I caught it as well. :)

When you have a spare moment, cruise through our videos. We spend a lot of time and effort on them to help take some of the confusion out of the world of detailing.

Instructional Detailing Videos

We also offer a forum discount (listed in my sig) for you guys here as well if you ever want to pick up and goods form us.

One last thing...PLEASE don't wash your Jeep with a brush. Wash pads are a much better option. :thumbsup:

Clear and concise Nick
Well done

joenjulie 03-03-2014 03:14 PM

start light, and I work one spot to find what combo works...although some parts of the car require more work than others, I always go light, then work the areas that need more individually so I don't hit the whole car with heavy cut when most of the car only needs a finish cut. Go slow with the machine and let it do the work, make sure you get the right pads, and you may not need 3 steps. remember, only so many mils of clear coat, so as Buckeye said, read read read. Also, check out detailedimage.com Like Autogeek, some different detailers with different methods, I use both as resources.