Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   2014 Radiatator Coolant Leak already... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/2014-radiatator-coolant-leak-already-72278.html)

f1anatic 02-28-2014 07:25 PM

2014 Radiator Coolant Leak

3 Attachment(s)
On Tuesday I dropped the car at the dealership in the evening for an Active Cruise Control issue. I got it back Wednesday night, I drove it home and parked it. The dealership could not replicate the problem but flashed some updates nevertheless. I do not drive my cars to work...rarely. Not this week though.

I was going to drive out of state tomorrow and I was going to take the Jeep because we are expecting 9-10 inches of snow this week-end in Chicago Metro.

My eagle-eyed father noticed some brown drops under the car, informed me. When I got home there was a healthy dripping from under the driver side front, just behind the tow hook.

After some strenuous reaching, it appears that it comes from the radiator, in fact it probably comes from the drain plug, which I assume to be a small cavity with a lip that I could feel with my fingernail, at the bottom of the radiator, on the plastic part. It would make sense, the radiator cap is diagonally opposite. This area was wet.

Good thing it did not happen last summer during my trip out west, or when i went off-roading. I like my cars to fail when parked at home. That's right. Goooo Jeep...back to your suppliers...and get better quality parts. It is hard right now to fault the dealership, apparently they didn't even take the lower bumper off to play with the ACC radar sensor. And mine is the ORA-2 equipped model so...I highly doubt I drove over something at 35 mph that caused that much damage to the radiator, on clean asphalt. Therefore...it's probably poor quality parts.

TurboRush 02-28-2014 09:30 PM

I've seen 1 or 2 others with a radiator issue early on, me being one of them. Wasn't happy with it but it was fixed quickly and has been fine since.

mswlogo 03-01-2014 01:47 AM

Re: 2014 Radiator Coolant Leak

Quote:

Originally Posted by f1anatic (Post 984140)
On Tuesday I dropped the car at the dealership in the evening for an Active Cruise Control issue. I got it back Wednesday night, I drove it home and parked it. The dealership could not replicate the problem but flashed some updates nevertheless. I do not drive my cars to work...rarely. Not this week though.

I was going to drive out of state tomorrow and I was going to take the Jeep because we are expecting 9-10 inches of snow this week-end in Chicago Metro.

My eagle-eyed father noticed some brown drops under the car, informed me. When I got home there was a healthy dripping from under the driver side front, just behind the tow hook.

After some strenuous reaching, it appears that it comes from the radiator, in fact it probably comes from the drain plug, which I assume to be a small cavity with a lip that I could feel with my fingernail, at the bottom of the radiator, on the plastic part. It would make sense, the radiator cap is diagonally opposite. This area was wet.

Good thing it did not happen last summer during my trip out west, or when i went off-roading. I like my cars to fail when parked at home. That's right. Goooo Jeep...back to your suppliers...and get better quality parts. It is hard right now to fault the dealership, apparently they didn't even take the lower bumper off to play with the ACC radar sensor. And mine is the ORA-2 equipped model so...I highly doubt I drove over something at 35 mph that caused that much damage to the radiator, on clean asphalt. Therefore...it's probably poor quality parts.

What's that tubular sleeve under the Driver Side Tow Hook?

Water seems awfully brown for new vehicle.

I've seen 5 year old vehicles with leaks come out pure green or pink depending on antifreeze color.

Good luck getting it fixed properly.

f1anatic 03-01-2014 07:47 AM

Re: 2014 Radiatator Coolant Leak already...

The tubular structure is a DIY cold air intake inlet, which is connected to the little factory snorkel. It does helps bit with fuel economy and power, probably by lowering the temperature of the air more than anything else, though we certainly estimate the airflow at a given speed through its cross-sectional area. And while it creates no boost, it certainly decreases the vacuum, by supplying additional air volume.

I believe the coolant itself is reddish as opposed to green. Newer Subaru also run this color, and you must use like fluids when flushing.

Strongjeff 03-01-2014 07:54 AM

the color comes from Chrysler using an organic coolant known as HOAT. I don't remember what it stood for but that is the coolant run in Chrysler products since 05-06.

f1anatic 03-01-2014 11:12 AM

The truck is at the dealership right now. I am sure they will take care of it.

Nevertheless, it is a little disheartening when your 106,000 miles, 9 year old Subaru that frankly has been molested (about 50% power increases over stock) and driven under hard conditions (cruises, track days, vacations) is more reliable than the 2014 almost-state-of-the-art vehicle. And to emphasize, it is a strictly mechanical problem - coolant leak. I hope the Jeep proves to be as worthy of the anal maintenance regimen I had on the Subaru: e.g. 3000 miles oil change intervals with synthetic; not one but two timing belt replacements; etc...

Oh well, I guess I will make the best of the winter storm in the Subaru just like in the good old days...
Don't Stop Me Now ! - YouTube

jp467 03-01-2014 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f1anatic (Post 984432)
The truck is at the dealership right now. I am sure they will take care of it.

Nevertheless, it is a little disheartening when your 106,000 miles, 9 year old Subaru that frankly has been molested (about 50% power increases over stock) and driven under hard conditions (cruises, track days, vacations) is more reliable than the 2014 almost-state-of-the-art vehicle. And to emphasize, it is a strictly mechanical problem - coolant leak. I hope the Jeep proves to be as worthy of the anal maintenance regimen I had on the Subaru: e.g. 3000 miles oil change intervals with synthetic; not one but two timing belt replacements; etc...

Oh well, I guess I will make the best of the winter storm in the Subaru just like in the good old days...
Don't Stop Me Now ! - YouTube

Probably just a defective part or bad O ring... It happens. This does not mean its a low quality part because if it was this problem would be widespread.

f1anatic 03-01-2014 02:35 PM

I heard back from the dealership.

Off-road spec radiator (heavy duty cooling etc. - ORA-2 package) for the car is back-ordered for 2-3 weeks. They are prohibiting me from driving the car. The plastic on the bottom of the radiator is cracked. The dealership is willing to get Chrysler to pay for the extended rental.

Since I have to go to Wisconsin this evening, I will have to chat with my wife about it over the week-end and decide the strategy. Well, this is not what I had in mind. The dealership people are good people though and I will NOT forget that.

f1anatic 03-02-2014 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboRush (Post 984190)
I've seen 1 or 2 others with a radiator issue early on, me being one of them. Wasn't happy with it but it was fixed quickly and has been fine since.

Well, this makes 3 of us...
http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/radia...eak-71284.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by canis (Post 970570)
I love this 2014 Overland. Definitely my favorite Jeep/vehicle ever owned thus far. That said, for the record, I dropped it off today for:

The christmas tree instrument cluster recall, steering column rattle (no big deal), low power steering fluid (though there is no leak?), update the UConnect, and...a coolant leak.

Somehow, my 10-month old, 9,200 mile WK2 v6 is leaking coolant from the seams of the radiator, low on the driver's side. :confused: I'm hoping to be impressed though - the dealership had me in a rental car within 20 minutes and said I should have the jeep back tomorrow after replacing the radiator. I hope I didn't just jynx myself!

TurboRush 03-02-2014 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f1anatic (Post 985047)

Not sure whose making the radiators but... Luckily it's not like the sealed systems back the early in the xj days, they could overheat in -5 degree weather.

f1anatic 03-04-2014 06:02 PM

I am pimpin' a red Wrangler Unlimited.
At least is new. I am afraid to park it in my backyard now, what if the radiator leaks? It's still a Pentastar...

f1anatic 03-05-2014 10:40 PM

But wait there is more ! I had my concerns about the Wrangler reliability yesterday...Little did I know...

So Jeep is repairing my Grand Cherokee under warranty. Because the duration of repairs is long (due to parts unavailability), I am being provided a courtesy car. The dealership repairing my car has a rental agreement with Enterprise and under warranty repairs agreement, Enterprise has to provide me a Chrysler product. That is how I ended up with the 2013 Jeep Wrangler yesterday. Which was awful by the way, despite being Trail Rated.

Tonight I wanted to go out with my wife to run some errands. I get her in the Jeep and as she pulls out of the yard, I notice that there were no tail lights. Moreover, the turn signals did not work. More investigations revealed a faulty rear wiper (did not work); a seat belt light that stays on despite all seat belts on; and hazard warning lights that cause the inside ceiling lights to flash.

We call Enterprise Roadside assistance and we are given the choice of having the car towed in 1-1.5 hours or taking it to the airport (10 min away) where we could switch it out. We are given assurances that the terms of the agreement stay the same, including the Chrysler product provision.

We make it to the airport rental location. The extremely rude, inexperienced and juvenile people refused to even work with us in the absence of some number that Road Side Assistance was supposed to give us. We called Road Side Assistance again from the cell phone inside the rental building...and the only car for us was a Toyota Corolla. Everyone very inflexible.

I called Jeep Customer Support, explained the situation, more negativity and inflexibility and after 20 minutes of reading some more notes in the case file and the whole National Archives of the United States, I am told by the representative that I should accept the Toyota but the final decision rests with the Enhanced Customer Support who is going to contact me tomorrow.

So now we are pimpin' a 2011 Toyota Corolla with 28,000 miles which is locked from the key (no remote). well in all honesty, it is my wife who has to drive this awesome monument of mechanical achievement. At least I have my Subaru.