Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Front plate options (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/front-plate-options-72317.html)

sgregg21 03-01-2014 11:43 PM

Front plate options

Just curious where those of you who live in a state that requires front plates have place them. Has anyone tried mounting a plate to the tow hooks up front?

Hammerhead 03-02-2014 12:11 AM

Re: Front plate options

The dealer typically screws the plate holder into the front bumper.

heinz 03-02-2014 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammerhead (Post 984715)
The dealer typically screws the plate holder into the front bumper.

Mine did not even ask me and went ahead and installed a front plate holder with no front plate... Thanks for the screw holes.

wasupdu 03-02-2014 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heinz (Post 984755)
Mine did not even ask me and went ahead and installed a front plate holder with no front plate... Thanks for the screw holes.

I specified that I didn't want the front plate holes drilled in the bumper numerous times throughout the process. When I showed up for delivery the holes were drilled. I refused delivery, got my deposit back and bought from another dealer....

sgregg21 03-02-2014 07:10 AM

Well...I have the front plate already installed..but im comfortable plugging those holes. I guess I should have specified that im looking for alternative mount locations..such as the lower tow hook.

MOFSTEEL 03-02-2014 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wasupdu (Post 984798)
I specified that I didn't want the front plate holes drilled in the bumper numerous times throughout the process. When I showed up for delivery the holes were drilled. I refused delivery, got my deposit back and bought from another dealer....

I made this same request and hope they comply or ill need to do the same.

stubright 03-02-2014 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgregg21 (Post 984698)
Just curious where those of you who live in a state that requires front plates have place them. Has anyone tried mounting a plate to the tow hooks up front?

I took the factory Holder and had it painted to mach the factory color. Looks much better than the black on my white SRT

jacko15 03-02-2014 10:24 AM

If you search the forum you will find other threads about this. I recall reading about some interesting options, such as magnetic holders, and even a motorized mechanism that would hide the plate when activated. Don't recall a tow hook mount though.

heinz 03-02-2014 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wasupdu (Post 984798)

To get the color options that I wanted they had to dealer trade, I suspect the prior dealer did this.

Jim_in_PA 03-02-2014 04:02 PM

heinz, my Summit was also a dealer trade and unfortunately, it came from Long Island...and was already drilled for the front plate holder. Really didn't make me happy, but it is what it is. Since I hadn't specified anything around that (and thought they were pulling a different car from another PA dealer), I bit my tongue and will fix the holes when I eventually remember to do so...

TManSTL 03-02-2014 10:42 PM

I too wanted no holes drilled in my front bumper when I bought my WK2 a few months back and was lucky enough the dealer listened.

By the way, I haven't put a front plate on my last couple of cars, 2000 WJ and 2007 MB GL450. I've never had a problem.

schmieg 03-02-2014 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TManSTL (Post 985196)
I too wanted no holes drilled in my front bumper when I bought my WK2 a few months back and was lucky enough the dealer listened.

By the way, I haven't put a front plate on my last couple of cars, 2000 WJ and 2007 MB GL450. I've never had a problem.

You're lucky. In Ohio, it is often used as probable cause for a stop to see what else they can get you on. If nothing else, they'll give you the $150 ticket for no front plate.