Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Detailing (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/)
-   -   Hard water spots (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/hard-water-spots-72351.html)

dpaps 03-02-2014 07:41 PM

Hard water spots

1 Attachment(s)
I cleaned the pride and joy yesterday as I always do: two buckets, foam hose and with meticulous care (I don't do waxing etc afterwards)
After the drying process I have found cloudy spots which appear to be hard water spots?
I've read a tone of online forums and advice and I'm not sure what can be done that doesn't involve cut and polish products.

Any advice on getting these spots out (only on my hood) and advice on how to avoid it? It may be unavoidable when driving in rain obviously.

Is there a spray on product I can use?

Attachment 36554

BobsWK2 03-02-2014 08:45 PM

Re: Hard water spots

Try a clay bar.

dromano424 03-02-2014 08:56 PM

Had the same on my hood and windshield. Came right off with rubbing compound

ExcursionDiesel 03-02-2014 09:15 PM

I second the clay bar. It will pull out mineral impurities that cause problems later. After washing, put your hand inside a plastic bag and run your hand over your "clean" car. You will feel grit embedded in the finish. The clay bar cures this.

dpaps 03-02-2014 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dromano424 (Post 985128)
Had the same on my hood and windshield. Came right off with rubbing compound

You mean clay bar?

Once I clay bar do I just hose the hood down or do I have to wax etc afterwards?

dromano424 03-02-2014 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpaps (Post 985147)
You mean clay bar?

Once I clay bar do I just hose the hood down or do I have to wax etc afterwards?

No I used turtle wax rubbing compound. But a clay bar will work too

ExcursionDiesel 03-02-2014 09:51 PM

Wax is optional but I considered it the sacrificial layer if something (like water spots) gets on your paint. On my day old 14 WK2, I clay barred, then polished with an ultrafine compound, then waxed it with a fully synthetic "wax". The clay bar and polish is a one time thing unless washing and waxing is neglected.

Try the plastic bag trick I mentioned. It allows you to feel the paint surface and impurities. It eliminates the sliding sensation on your fingers yet allows ever bump to be felt. Clay bar a small area and compare. You'll be amazed. Our new vehicles are delivered with railroad grime embedded in the clearcoat.

TheRosser 03-03-2014 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpaps (Post 985147)
You mean clay bar? Once I clay bar do I just hose the hood down or do I have to wax etc afterwards?

Yes wax after clay barring!

YjagetaJeep 03-03-2014 01:22 AM

I don't think I'd use rubbing compound.... It's like using a cannon to kill a rat...its overkill and you would be rubbing off your clearcoat.
Clay should work...if not try a very gentle polish.

dpaps 03-03-2014 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YjagetaJeep (Post 985246)
I don't think I'd use rubbing compound.... It's like using a cannon to kill a rat...its overkill and you would be rubbing off your clearcoat. Clay should work...if not try a very gentle polish.

Ok thanks
I'll try the clay
I'm still trying to work out what the heck it is. The more I think about it the more I don't thinks its water stain related.

YjagetaJeep 03-03-2014 01:56 AM

You may want to check out Autogeek online. It's a forum dedicated to auto detailing and paint finish maintenance. You'll find more than you ever wanted to know about how to keep your carr looking beautiful.

joenjulie 03-06-2014 11:50 AM

Yes, check Autogeek or detailedimage out, there are products specifically for water spot removal that don't involve polishing, some just a spray, let dwell, wipe, rinse. Try clay bar first, that might get it. I also use Iron-X which can be found on either site. On a light colored car, you'll be amazed how "dirty" the paint is on a just washed car. Like Excursion said, a new car is covered in rail dust and other crap that is hard to see and even feel. Spray some Iron-X, wait a few, and you'll see it turn purple as it take most of that stuff off, it's cut down my claying time by more than half probably. My white jeep after I wash and spray some iron-x, looks tie-dyed with purple running down it removing most of those little red specs we get here in NE ohio during the winter on the car.