Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   Getting an SRT8, But have a couple questions before i buy. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/getting-an-srt8-but-have-a-couple-questions-before-i-buy-72352.html)

PHANT0M 03-02-2014 08:04 PM

Getting an SRT8, But have a couple questions before i buy.

Hey guys I am new to the forum here. I had a questions for you SRT(8) owners, I am looking at a used SRT8 they are not that bad price wise right now. The problem is I am looking at the Cost to own on this guys and they are pretty high which I except. I make $55k a year and with my wife's income we together are pushing about $70k as a couple. I just want to know is owning this beast really that high to own? Gas, insurance, maintenance etc.

Maybe you could argue if I am worried about this stuff maybe this is not the car for me but I am a big fan of this car. I am 6'7 so I need a big car. Jeep SRTs are the only cars that interest me. I drive a Yaris ( don't ask how I fit in it, its hard for me lol)

So please help me on this issue if possible and give me your guys experience :)

Thanks looking forward to hearing from you guys!!!

RedRockSRT8 03-02-2014 08:22 PM

Well if you're driving a yaris now, the first big jump in expense for you will be the fuel......the amount and using 93 octane for that matter. Oil changes are over $100 unless you can do them yourself. Tires and brakes are very expensive unless you move away from oem parts. Required service intervals (drivetrain oil changes, tune ups, etc.) can run you several hundred to up over $1000 unless you do them all yourself. Oh and don't forget the addictive mods too! I hate to paint such a burdensome financial picture for you but as the old adage goes, "You got to pay to play."

Colby 03-02-2014 08:25 PM

Most customers I talk to get about 11 miles per gallon if anything you should look into a 5.7 or 3.6

hankwedge 03-02-2014 08:31 PM

My second ride is a 14 sport explorer. Lot more room and very fast with a tune exhaust and Cai. A lot less $. Mpg about the same as my srt.

jbjones85 03-02-2014 08:47 PM

Fuel, brakes, tires, full syn fluids. It is for sure going to be pricier than the yaris. My personal experience is about 16 mpg but most of mine is highway.

Tires your looking at 1200-2000. / set every 20-40k miles

$100 oil changes every 6k even DIY as it uses full syn and lots of it.

Brakes are about $500-1000 and largely depends on your driving style.

For me worth every penny.

phillysrt 03-02-2014 08:49 PM

Agree with all the comments above! The cost of the car may not be bad but the real expense is the two tanks a week and 93 octane. Or the new brakes or the new tires. They are all a big expense. But hey if you want to do it....my attitude has always been "it'll all work out". Other option is getting a used 12 overland cause they are awesome as well!

Another member mentioned the mod bug. God it's soooo tough to not spend money on these!! Best of luck with your choice

jbjones85 03-02-2014 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phillysrt (Post 985123)
Agree with all the comments above! The cost of the car may not be bad but the real expense is the two tanks a week and 93 octane. Or the new brakes or the new tires. They are all a big expense. But hey if you want to do it....my attitude has always been "it'll all work out". Other option is getting a used 12 overland cause they are awesome as well! Another member mentioned the mod bug. God it's soooo tough to not spend money on these!! Best of luck with your choice

Yeah mods are a killer. I just looked at my shopping cart from chad and it's $6k ....

PHANT0M 03-02-2014 09:08 PM

Re: Getting an SRT8, But have a couple questions before i buy.

You guys are quick with the replies!!! I appreciate them a lot. I am kind in the mind set of you know you only live once so make the most of it right? I think it will all work out like a couple of you guys said.

Seems like all of you don't regret your beast! Those are some dedicated SRT(8) owners policy. What are yours guys insurance about?

FYI I am 23 years old lol:)

hankwedge 03-02-2014 09:12 PM

$523/yr
YOLO

SRTBLK 03-02-2014 09:18 PM

i get about 14-18 mpg with 80% highway, 20% local. 11 is a bit low, that is what i was getting with my 5.7L HEMI in my last jeep. just want to reiterate that gas can be quite expensive, i spend about $600 a month on that alone. depending on where you live, you might want dedicated snow tires, another set of wheels, and don't forget money to pay for speeding tickets:lol:

oh, and i forgot to mention, no regrets here.

PHANT0M 03-02-2014 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hankwedge (Post 985133)
$523/yr
YOLO

Damn how so low lol? I am guessing you are way older than I am

PHANT0M 03-02-2014 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRTBLK (Post 985138)
i get about 14-18 mpg with 80% highway, 20% local. 11 is a bit low, that is what i was getting with my 5.7L HEMI in my last jeep. just want to reiterate that gas can be quite expensive, i spend about $600 a month on that alone. depending on where you live, you might want dedicated snow tires, another set of wheels, and don't forget money to pay for speeding tickets:lol:

oh, and i forgot to mention, no regrets here.

Lol, I like the spirit you guys! NO REGRETS!