Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   2011 Pentastar Tick noise :-( at 59k miles (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/2011-pentastar-tick-noise-at-59k-miles-72425.html)

Dabitz 03-04-2014 04:57 PM

2011 Pentastar Tick noise :-( at 59k miles

Once it warms up (I'm in winter Jersey NJ) my 2011 Pentastar has a ticking noise coming from the driver's side. I am at 59k miles and never had this issue before. To be honest, I don't know if it's cylinder head, rocker arm, or fuel injector noise. I still have an extended warranty and will take it next week, but I am mentally prepared for the dealership to say "we couldn't duplicate the problem" or that's normal. I had the #2 cylinder head replaced (common issue) at 45k miles. The car runs great and the engine light is not on. I would appreciate any input. I don't think it's the water pump because I haven's seen any leaks, but it sounds like it's coming from the driver's side, very noticeable by the tire area.

There are a few YouTube and internet postings, but nothing conclusive. :eek:

Edit: Found this post (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/this-p...azy-71795.html) from the previous model, it does sound like coming from this area. I'll check again.

mswlogo 03-04-2014 06:46 PM

Re: 2011 Pentastar Tick noise :-( at 59k miles

Could be just an exhaust manifold issue too. Those can sound like a "Tick" too. And sometimes a crack or gasket can open up when warm.

Also oil tends to get thinner with age. When was the last oil change?

Dabitz 03-05-2014 10:18 AM

I changed the oil a week ago. The sounds doesn't start until it warms up. In Parking, when I accelerate, the tick accelerates as well.

mswlogo 03-05-2014 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dabitz (Post 986694)
I changed the oil a week ago. The sounds doesn't start until it warms up. In Parking, when I accelerate, the tick accelerates as well.

Still could be exhaust manifold leak of some sort. Probably not, but it's possible and much less invasive to fix.

If you have no luck at dealer, try a high mileage formula oil.

Setoutguy 03-05-2014 10:45 AM

Isnt covered under the powertrain and emissions warranties???

Dabitz 03-05-2014 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setoutguy (Post 986705)
Isnt covered under the powertrain and emissions warranties???

I guess I'll find out next week. I have an extended warranty (thru 70k miles) that hopefully will cover. I've used it twice before. I'm seriously considering one of those 4 or 5 years Chrysler but they are expensive, even buying online.

Setoutguy 03-05-2014 11:08 AM

Powertrain warranty is 5 years and 100K miles. Emissions 7 years and 80K miles if I remember correctly. Your extended warranty shouldnt come into play.

Dabitz 03-14-2014 08:30 AM

They kept it all day to say I have to bring it back next week. Their motor guy has to open the engine to find out where the noise is coming from. So it's definitively coming from the engine (gulp).

I believe the rocker arms are the main suspect right now. I had the cylinder 2 replaced at 45k miles and now this. Once I bring it Tuesday they'll keep it 5-10 days. It's covered under the power-train warranty. Just an update for anyone with similar issues in the future.

Bostondan77 03-14-2014 09:08 AM

dabitz id see about extending your warranty especially since they are going to do surgery on ur truck lol.... you can always do a payment plan w Chrysler I don't even believe that there is any interest and worst comes to worst if you trade it in you just cancel the policy and get a pro rated check back to you for the part of the month you did not use.

Dabitz 03-14-2014 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostondan77 (Post 991387)
dabitz id see about extending your warranty especially since they are going to do surgery on ur truck lol.... you can always do a payment plan w Chrysler I don't even believe that there is any interest and worst comes to worst if you trade it in you just cancel the policy and get a pro rated check back to you for the part of the month you did not use.

Yeah, I thought of it. I have one from my credit union (used twice) that expires at 70k. Once they find out what it is I will make a decision whether or not to get rid of it. But if I keep it I will get an extended warranty. If it's a cylinder head again or even something deeper I will definitively get rid of it and look into buying another brand. No offense to anyone but I don't like the '14s. I'd rather get a Wrangler but it's the same engine. :eek:

padgett 03-15-2014 08:11 AM

I really like the Pentastar engine. It and the Merc M276 have a lot in common & the bulk of problems I've seen seem to stem from faulty machining of the heads.

Of course I have never seen a DOHC six I didn't like so am biased. I do have a lifetime service contract through Chrysler but bought mainly for the electronics & HVAC coverage.

Marlon_JB2 03-16-2014 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by padgett (Post 991912)
I really like the Pentastar engine. It and the Merc M276 have a lot in common & the bulk of problems I've seen seem to stem from faulty machining of the heads.

About the only thing that the Pentastar and the M276 have in common is the angle of the cylinder banks. 60.

That's it. If that's "related", then almost everybody's V6 is related.