Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Michelin LTX M/S2 update.....F.Y.I. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/michelin-ltx-m-s2-update-f-y-i-72429.html)

Paul Bernard 03-04-2014 05:44 PM

Michelin LTX M/S2 update.....F.Y.I.

We just had two snow storms in the past two weeks here in Northern Virginia, 6"of snow one storm, 14" the other. The Michelins were superb in both of them. The 14" deep one was a drive on open farm country roads, and unplowed parking lots. The 4 wheel drive kicked in only a few times in the parking lot. I'm from Buffalo and for 64 years drove through some incredible storms off lake Erie. Freak U right out. So.....14" is hardly a barn burner, but my 13 limited sure did very well. I just read my Consumer Reports April magazine, and they rated The Michelin LTX M/S2 as the top dog for SUV's and light-duty pick ups. I can only say I do agree with CR. I just purchased the tires just before Christmas so they should do a good job. Still quiet and smooth at highway speeds. I certainly would recommend these tires.

bill_de 03-04-2014 05:52 PM

Re: Michelin LTX M/S2 update.....F.Y.I.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Bernard (Post 986401)
We just had two snow storms in the past two weeks here in Northern Virginia, 6"of snow one storm, 14" the other. The Michelins were superb in both of them. The 14" deep one was a drive on open farm country roads, and unplowed parking lots. The 4 wheel drive kicked in only a few times in the parking lot. I'm from Buffalo and for 64 years drove through some incredible storms off lake Erie. Freak U right out. So.....14" is hardly a barn burner, but my 13 limited sure did very well. I just read my Consumer Reports April magazine, and they rated The Michelin LTX M/S2 as the top dog for SUV's and light-duty pick ups. I can only say I do agree with CR. I just purchased the tires just before Christmas so they should do a good job. Still quiet and smooth at highway speeds. I certainly would recommend these tires.

I thought all Grand Cherokees were full time 4 wd. :confused:

---

Paul Bernard 03-04-2014 07:26 PM

I have the Quadra Trac II 4WD system. Its full time rear wheel drive till slippage is detected then transfers power to the front wheels and becomes 4 wheel drive. You can definitely hear the transfer as it changes to 4WD, and you suddenly feel the strong pulling forward. Of course you can put it in 4WD Low which locks up all four. When I lived in Buffalo I had a Chevy Blazer with a similar drive system on it, and used the 4WD Low quite a bit. Never did get stuck in 24" of snow but sure as hell came close. LOL!

1st jeep 03-04-2014 07:55 PM

Those tires are great. I had them on my prior car before the jeep and were incredible. I'll definitely get those when I wear these down.

Jim_in_PA 03-04-2014 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 986406)
I thought all Grand Cherokees were full time 4 wd.

True. All 4x4 JGC are full time 4WD. Aero mode favors rear over front but other modes are about 50/50 distribution.

-----

OP, 'glad the tires worked out for you. I'm currently in Fairfax on business and the roads are major nasty!!!

Paul Bernard 03-04-2014 08:55 PM

So if I understand this correctly, its full time 4wd but when the rear tires slip it increases more power to the front wheels?

mswlogo 03-04-2014 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Bernard (Post 986487)
So if I understand this correctly, its full time 4wd but when the rear tires slip it increases more power to the front wheels?

No that's not what he said. If you are in Aero mode is favors the rear (he didn't say how much). Otherwise it's 50/50.

What you heard was the ABS/Traction control kicking in and out (pulsing wheels that are slipping) which transfers power away from the wheel that slips to the wheel with grip. If front slips it will go to rear. If rear slips it will go to front.

The Electronic Limited Slip of QD-II won't kick in unless you are in 4-Lo.

kkreit01 03-05-2014 10:40 AM

You were in 4x4 while driving in 14". A rwd would have had difficulty. Thanks for the report on the tires. I know the M/S2s are great tires, but I take CR's ratings like a grain of salt.

Paul Bernard 03-05-2014 12:53 PM

Thanks for the explanation on the 4wd. Now I know what that noise is(ABS Traction control) and why it is doing that.

Setoutguy 03-05-2014 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim_in_PA (Post 986480)
-----

OP, 'glad the tires worked out for you. I'm currently in Fairfax on business and the roads are major nasty!!!

and

We dont handle snow as well as PA and 25%+ of DC area population changes every year so we get a lot folks who have never seen snow. Then we have a lot of type A personalties and lawyers who think the laws of physics dont apply to them and their AWD Lexus, BMW, Audi, Mercedes etc.

1stJeepGC 03-05-2014 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setoutguy (Post 986813)
and

We dont handle snow as well as PA and 25%+ of DC area population changes every year so we get a lot folks who have never seen snow. Then we have a lot of type A personalties and lawyers who think the laws of physics dont apply to them and their AWD Lexus, BMW, Audi, Mercedes etc.

Greetings,

Ok, I buy that. Here in the Big Apple, we have the same plus folks who forgot how to drive in it. That's even worse. Doing 10 mph with the flashers on in a simply snow flurry. :eek:

Best for now.:)

Rexlion 03-05-2014 09:53 PM

Do they supply these from the factory at all? If not, what does the GC generally come with (depends on wheel size, I suppose)?

Actually I really would wish for some AT tires, but I'll probably just run whatever comes on the GC until they wear out.