Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Built in Crossover Question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/built-in-crossover-question-72446.html)

lectricman 03-05-2014 11:30 AM

Built in Crossover Question

I'm going to install new component speakers in the front doors. They come with crossovers that I would like to use. Are the tweeter or woofer speaker wires full range or would I need to change at the amp and just use 1 pair in each door? Thanks

1stJeepGC 03-05-2014 12:58 PM

Re: Built in Crossover Question

Quote:

Originally Posted by lectricman (Post 986721)
I'm going to install new component speakers in the front doors. They come with crossovers that I would like to use. Are the tweeter or woofer speaker wires full range or would I need to change at the amp and just use 1 pair in each door? Thanks

Greetings,

DO you have the 6 speaker standard or the Premium Alpine Factory 9 speaker and sub? Did you purchase the speakers already?

The Alpine system is an active crossover that is built into the AMP. The other system is actually easier to hookup. Once you know the answers, anybody can help you, including myself.

Best for now.:)

lectricman 03-05-2014 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1stJeepGC (Post 986756)
Greetings,

DO you have the 6 speaker standard or the Premium Alpine Factory 9 speaker and sub? Did you purchase the speakers already?

The Alpine system is an active crossover that is built into the AMP. The other system is actually easier to hookup. Once you know the answers, anybody can help you, including myself.

Thanks for the help. I do have the factory Alpine 9 speaker w/ sub and have already bought a pair of GermanMaestro EV 6908's

1stJeepGC 03-05-2014 04:50 PM

Greetings,

Yes, you can install the crossovers with your components. You will be using the wire from the 6x9 directly into the crossover network. From crossover network you will run new speaker wires to the woofer and tweeter. Do not use the tweeter wires from system. The Alpine is using direct active crossover network built into the amp.

Also, you should read the following thread for more about your situation and possible future upgrades:

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/full-...ter-71513.html

Check this out with dealing with JGC WK2 audio system:

WK2Jeeps.com - 2011-2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee menu page

Hope this helps.

lectricman 03-05-2014 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1stJeepGC (Post 986858)
Greetings,

Yes, you can install the crossovers with your components. You will be using the wire from the 6x9 directly into the crossover network. From crossover network you will run new speaker wires to the woofer and tweeter. Do not use the tweeter wires from system. The Alpine is using direct active crossover network built into the amp.

Also, you should read the following thread for more about your situation and possible future upgrades:

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/full-...ter-71513.html

Check this out with dealing with JGC WK2 audio system:

WK2Jeeps.com - 2011-2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee menu page

Hope this helps.

Awesome! Thanks for your help. What's your name anyway? I'd rather say " Thanks ____"

Howard

kkreit01 03-06-2014 10:27 AM

You will not be amazed with your new speakers. Since you have the Alpine system, a full-range signal currently is not present. In order to get one, you'd need a DSP, or LOC with input summing of at least 6 channels (AudioControl LC6i at minimum).

If you run the OE 6x9 mid wire into your GermanMaestro cross-over, your tweeter will not be heard. In order to use your aftermarket crossover, you need a full-range signal coming into it -- unless your cross-over has separate inputs for lows and highs. In order to obtain that signal, you need to be able to sum the OE signals, and then run into an aftermarket amp. Some DSPs have built-in amplification, but most are weak (OK only for rear fill or center channels).

I played with my Ram (same horrible system) all summer. I tried all the cheap/easy methods, and was never happy. Once I summed the signal in order to provide full-range to my aftermarket amp, it 10x better. When upgrading these Alpine systems, there are no K.I.S.S methods -- at least if you want to make a significant difference.

1stJeepGC 03-06-2014 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkreit01 (Post 987216)

If you run the OE 6x9 mid wire into your GermanMaestro cross-over, your tweeter will not be heard. In order to use your aftermarket crossover, you need a full-range signal coming into it -- unless your cross-over has separate inputs for lows and highs. In order to obtain that signal, you need to be able to sum the OE signals, and then run into an aftermarket amp. Some DSPs have built-in amplification, but most are weak (OK only for rear fill or center channels).

Greetings,

Yes, you are correct. I was thinking of something else.

The OP cannot use the passive crossover that comes with the component set. By going my way, the tweeters will cut out around 12-15K cycles. The tweeter will be more of a mid range speaker.

The best method at this stage is to do a direct swap for each driver and let the factory DSP crossover do the work. With the Mastro speakers the factory xover will be actually pretty. Due to the low efficiency rating, it will break-up at low volumes.

lectricman 03-06-2014 01:20 PM

Thanks to both of you. This is the 1st step in the upgrade. I'll stop by my guy and discuss a DSP.

1stJeepGC 03-06-2014 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lectricman (Post 987282)
Thanks to both of you. This is the 1st step in the upgrade. I'll stop by my guy and discuss a DSP.

Greetings,

Your welcome.

If you grade to an amp, make sure you talk about the amp wiring kit could handle more than one amp. Otherwise, you spending more money down the road when you should not be.

kkreit01 03-06-2014 03:30 PM

I saw some GermanMaestros on ebay. It appeared their cross-over had separate inputs for mid and tweeter. If this is the case with yours, you can try using the OE signals from the doors. However, I highly doubt you'll be pleased considering the money spent. DSP gets quite expensive, but it's about your only option if you have high-end speakers.

lectricman 03-06-2014 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkreit01 (Post 987347)
I saw some GermanMaestros on ebay. It appeared their cross-over had separate inputs for mid and tweeter. If this is the case with yours, you can try using the OE signals from the doors. However, I highly doubt you'll be pleased considering the money spent. DSP gets quite expensive, but it's about your only option if you have high-end speakers.

I don't know if other Maestro's have 2 line inputs in the crossover but the one's I am installing just have 1 input. My audio guy had installed these speakers along with Roadkill sound matting in the doors of a few GC and said they sounded great. He had said that I would be doing this 1st anyway so I was not wasting money if I continued to upgrade. This will be my weekend project so I'll post on the sound quality(totally subjective)when I get them on.

Thanks