Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Auto mirrors folding when locking the car? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/auto-mirrors-folding-when-locking-the-car-72494.html)

icew 03-06-2014 02:18 PM

Auto mirrors folding when locking the car?
 
hello,

is it possible to make the side mirrors fold auto when locking the 2014 JGC

i had a lexus before and i liked that Feature

and has any one change the glass on the left side mirror to match the right side mirror glass

it better and you can see much more of the road behind you i don't know why they still use this glass

excuse my English

TX_Driver 03-08-2014 11:47 AM

Re: Auto mirrors folding when locking the car?
 
It's not possible at the moment. Hopefully there will be a software update in the future to enable this feature.

johnmbureau 03-08-2014 07:21 PM

I'll second that request. I'd love to see the option appear in a future update.

AAAA 03-08-2014 07:31 PM

Re: Auto mirrors folding when locking the car?
 
I suspect it would be dangerous to change the driver's side mirror glass.
"Objects in mirror are closer than they appear" (Meatloaf).

BobsWK2 03-08-2014 07:49 PM

Re: Auto mirrors folding when locking the car?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TX_Driver (Post 988256)
It's not possible at the moment. Hopefully there will be a software update in the future to enable this feature.

If it it did become available, I would deactivate it. I know BMW for one makes a killing ($600.00 per side) on replacement mirror motors due to the auto fold in feature upon locking the vehicle. And the Jeep being a Chrysler product, no thanks.

mfa81 03-09-2014 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobsWK2 (Post 988382)
If it it did become available, I would deactivate it. I know BMW for one makes a killing ($600.00 per side) on replacement mirror motors due to the auto fold in feature upon locking the vehicle. And the Jeep being a Chrysler product, no thanks.


you saying this would stress too much the mirror motors?

I usually fold mine everytime I park in a busy street/parking lot

johnmbureau 03-09-2014 04:15 PM

Same here. If I'm parked they are folded.

BobsWK2 03-09-2014 06:58 PM

Re: Auto mirrors folding when locking the car?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mfa81 (Post 988614)
you saying this would stress too much the mirror motors?

I usually fold mine everytime I park in a busy street/parking lot

Even though they are designed to be power folded, I still wouldn't trust the mirror motor to last to long. On my Summit, I think I tried them maybe twice since owning the vehicle just to confirm that they work. But I haven't had to park on a narrow street or in a narrow garage that would require the mirrors to be folded in. It's funny, I was speaking to my neighbor who has a 2011 Range Rover and she mentioned that the power mirror on the drivers side isn't folding in anymore when she locks the vehicle. She's taking it to the dealer on Wednesday to be looked at. It's still under warranty so it shouldn't cost her anything other then her time. But she said she's used to visiting the dealer since she said something is always acting up on the thing. They are on a first name basis.

bill_de 03-09-2014 07:30 PM

Re: Auto mirrors folding when locking the car?
 
The mirrors are supposed to work for the life of the car. If they don't, you get them fixed, just like a power window or a power tailgate.

If I ever thought I was buying a vehicle with options I wasn't supposed to use all the time, I'd buy another vehicle.

My former neighbor used to fold his mirrors on his full size pickups every time he backed into his garage. These were full size GM pickups. He never had a failure, nor did he expect to.


----

Roger Ramjet 03-09-2014 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 988849)
The mirrors are supposed to work for the life of the car. If they don't, you get them fixed, just like a power window or a power tailgate.

If I ever thought I was buying a vehicle with options I wasn't supposed to use all the time, I'd buy another vehicle.

My former neighbor used to fold his mirrors on his full size pickups every time he backed into his garage. These were full size GM pickups. He never had a failure, nor did he expect to.

----

My wife folded the mirrors on our 2004 Touareg everytime she put it on the garage. 160,000 miles when we traded it, mirrors still working.

labjr1 03-09-2014 08:25 PM

Re: Auto mirrors folding when locking the car?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BobsWK2 (Post 988382)
If it it did become available, I would deactivate it. I know BMW for one makes a killing ($600.00 per side) on replacement mirror motors due to the auto fold in feature upon locking the vehicle. And the Jeep being a Chrysler product, no thanks.

I've had this feature on seven different Mercedes and have never had an issue with the motors on any of them due to auto-fold. I would say BMW has a profit center in repairing the motors.

TX_Driver 03-10-2014 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 988849)
The mirrors are supposed to work for the life of the car. If they don't, you get them fixed, just like a power window or a power tailgate. If I ever thought I was buying a vehicle with options I wasn't supposed to use all the time, I'd buy another vehicle. My former neighbor used to fold his mirrors on his full size pickups every time he backed into his garage. These were full size GM pickups. He never had a failure, nor did he expect to. ----

I totally agree. I paid for that feature, you better believe I'm going to use it. And if you are talking about a BMW here, there ya go. German cars are not known for their reliability and BMW is just overpriced in general. $600/side for repair?! LOL!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community