Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   problems with alternator and sounds like broken light bulbs from the engine (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/problems-with-alternator-and-sounds-like-broken-light-bulbs-from-the-engine-72528.html)

fox_hound 03-07-2014 12:24 PM

problems with alternator and sounds like broken light bulbs from the engine
 
Yesterday was the first time it started. I cranked my 2012 Grand Cherokee laredo, and head this god awful screeching sound. I popped the hood to see if I could see something out of place or smoking. other than the sound everything was in place. called the dealership and talked to a guy named Bill. he said he would look at it real quick to make sure it was still OK to drive. 10 min later I arrived and he said it was more than likely the alternator and it was OK to drive. we set up an appointment for today @930am.
The battery light came on the entire way home after work 4-5 hours later.
cranked it a few more times after it had set in the yard. cranked fine. still had the noise.

This morning I cranked it just fine, went to the gas station for my red bull before heading to the dealership. After cutting it off for less than 2 min It tried to crank but did not have enought juice to do it. I tried to crank it 5-8 more times and the engine started to smoke and make the worst noise I had ever heard from an engine. I can only describe it as broken lamps in a box coming from inside the engine.

Called the dealership and they advised to have it towed. Thank god for roadside assistance. The jeep was bought in june of 2012 and has less than 19500 miles on it. so its still covered by the warranty.

trying to reach out to my Jeep friends. Have any of y'all experienced anything like this?

The lady with Chrysler road side assistance said they had had problems with the 2014's stalling. THEN the tow truck guy said they had pulled 20+ new 2014 jeeps with less than 20 miles on them in less than 2 weeks.

please help.

sc32valve 03-07-2014 01:51 PM

Re: problems with alternator and sounds like broken light bulbs from the engine
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fox_hound (Post 987767)
Yesterday was the first time it started. I cranked my 2012 Grand Cherokee laredo, and head this god awful screeching sound. I popped the hood to see if I could see something out of place or smoking. other than the sound everything was in place. called the dealership and talked to a guy named Bill. he said he would look at it real quick to make sure it was still OK to drive. 10 min later I arrived and he said it was more than likely the alternator and it was OK to drive. we set up an appointment for today @930am.
The battery light came on the entire way home after work 4-5 hours later.
cranked it a few more times after it had set in the yard. cranked fine. still had the noise.

This morning I cranked it just fine, went to the gas station for my red bull before heading to the dealership. After cutting it off for less than 2 min It tried to crank but did not have enought juice to do it. I tried to crank it 5-8 more times and the engine started to smoke and make the worst noise I had ever heard from an engine. I can only describe it as broken lamps in a box coming from inside the engine.

Called the dealership and they advised to have it towed. Thank god for roadside assistance. The jeep was bought in june of 2012 and has less than 19500 miles on it. so its still covered by the warranty.

trying to reach out to my Jeep friends. Have any of y'all experienced anything like this?

The lady with Chrysler road side assistance said they had had problems with the 2014's stalling. THEN the tow truck guy said they had pulled 20+ new 2014 jeeps with less than 20 miles on them in less than 2 weeks.

please help.

Sounds like an internal short in the alternator. Alternator was on its way out and stopped charging the battery, the battery light came on to indicate the battery was below normal voltage. You tried to crank it after the battery was too low and it either couldn't run the starter or the ignition system. Short in alternator most likely caused the smoke.

lstowell 03-07-2014 02:18 PM

Re: problems with alternator and sounds like broken light bulbs from the engine
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sc32valve (Post 987806)
Sounds like an internal short in the alternator. Alternator was on its way out and stopped charging the battery, the battery light came on to indicate the battery was below normal voltage. You tried to crank it after the battery was too low and it either couldn't run the starter or the ignition system. Short in alternator most likely caused the smoke.

... and hopefully fuses blew before the battery fried anything serious. Hopefully.
Is a rare thing, but makes a lot of noise and magic smoke when it happens.

mswlogo 03-07-2014 04:43 PM

Re: problems with alternator and sounds like broken light bulbs from the engine
 
Dealer should not advised you to continue to drive it. Only a matter of time before it was dead and you could do damage.

Hopefully smoke was from Alternator. I doubt it was, because the engine wasn't running when he smoked. I suspect starter or battery cables overheated.

Sounds like the Alternator just fell apart. Seized bearing or something.

When the battery is low and the starter doesn't turn, or you try too many times, you get high current in power cables. They can start to melt.

After it didn't start the first time, you were done.

fox_hound 03-07-2014 05:00 PM

Re: problems with alternator and sounds like broken light bulbs from the engine
 
Thanks for the feedback guys!. i really appreciate it.

I have been resiting the urge to hurt someone at the dealership after this experience, the only thing that has stopped me is I don't feel like setting in jail tonight or half the weekend.

The dealership is refusing to get the replacement part from a dealer 45 min away. They are going to get it from a couple stats away. It will not be in till Tuesday of next week instead of having it fixed by noon tomorrow (Saturday) . They have refused to call the company that handles my extended coverage warranty to see if I can get a rental car. and now I can not even get in touch with the parts manager. He will not return my calls.

They "believe" its just the alternator and nothing in the engine was damaged. But after all the crap I have been through today you can understand why I am skeptical.

I have even contemplated paying out of my own pocket for it to be towed to the dealer i bought it from and have them fix it......45 min away.

mswlogo 03-07-2014 05:06 PM

Re: problems with alternator and sounds like broken light bulbs from the engine
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fox_hound (Post 987919)
Thanks for the feedback guys!. i really appreciate it.

I have been resiting the urge to hurt someone at the dealership after this experience, the only thing that has stopped me is I don't feel like setting in jail tonight or half the weekend.

The dealership is refusing to get the replacement part from a dealer 45 min away. They are going to get it from a couple stats away. It will not be in till Tuesday of next week instead of having it fixed by noon tomorrow (Saturday) . They have refused to call the company that handles my extended coverage warranty to see if I can get a rental car. and now I can not even get in touch with the parts manager. He will not return my calls.

They "believe" its just the alternator and nothing in the engine was damaged. But after all the crap I have been through today you can understand why I am skeptical.

I have even contemplated paying out of my own pocket for it to be towed to the dealer i bought it from and have them fix it......45 min away.

Call ahead if you do that.

I'm sure engine is fine.

I'd be a little concerned about starter/battery cable. But that is partly your fault, if it is. And not a huge deal if it is. They CAN SMOKE if you really tried 5-8 times.

If it doesn't start after the 2nd time. Don't try again. It really stresses it.

Stay calm. It's not worth it. I know it's tough.

fox_hound 03-07-2014 05:23 PM

Re: problems with alternator and sounds like broken light bulbs from the engine
 
***update***
After causing a huge stink at the dealership with the manager and Chrysler. they just called and said my baby will be ready before they close at 6pm.

i dont mind being called an a hole or dick at the dealership. i just need my baby so i can go pick up my real babies.


"I'd be a little concerned about starter/battery cable. But that is partly your fault, if it is. And not a huge deal if it is. They CAN SMOKE if you really tried 5-8 times."

Sadly I was very mad and yes I did keep trying only because it got 90% cranked and then stopped. I am willing to accept blame for something I messed up. I will def look at this part more in-depth when I get her home.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community