Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2014+ Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel 3.0 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f222/)
-   -   2014 WK2 3.0 so far NOT so good (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f222/2014-wk2-3-0-so-far-not-so-good-72566.html)

Wiley75 03-08-2014 10:14 AM

2014 WK2 3.0 so far NOT so good
 
2014 Overland, Diesel, Quadra-Drive II, Adv Tech.

First trip. 138 miles on the odometer. Driving over a mountain pass. The transmission heat shield/cover plate partially fell off and started slamming off the highway and against the bottom of the vehicle. Had to have a tow truck come and get it as I didn't have any tools in the vehicle yet. Ordered new parts with Jeep dealer under warranty.

Second trip. 171 miles on the odometer. All packed up with wife, dogs and a bunch of gear for a weekend trip out of town. Left Friday night. On freeway on-ramp and EVIC beeps and says "service four wheel drive system" and "service air suspension system". Then the EVIC goes absolutely bonkers. Warning lights for ABS and Traction Control. Check Engine light. Vehicle goes in and out of limp mode. Occasionally the brake lights will turn themselves on and won't turn off..... even if the vehicle is just sitting there parked and not running. The EVIC also flickers.

Wow. A $54,000 vehicle with 171 miles on it and already been on a tow truck once and ruined a family outing trip. Not sure I'm impressed with this thing.

As I understand it my vehicle does not apply for the P58 reflash issue. It's too new. But the symptoms sure sound similar?

Sorry. Just had to vent a bit.

rubicontrail.net 03-08-2014 12:57 PM

Re: 2014 WK2 3.0 so far NOT so good
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiley75 (Post 988235)
2014 Overland, Diesel, Quadra-Drive II, Adv Tech.

First trip. 138 miles on the odometer. Driving over a mountain pass. The transmission heat shield/cover plate partially fell off and started slamming off the highway and against the bottom of the vehicle. Had to have a tow truck come and get it as I didn't have any tools in the vehicle yet. Ordered new parts with Jeep dealer under warranty.

Second trip. 171 miles on the odometer. All packed up with wife, dogs and a bunch of gear for a weekend trip out of town. Left Friday night. On freeway on-ramp and EVIC beeps and says "service four wheel drive system" and "service air suspension system". Then the EVIC goes absolutely bonkers. Warning lights for ABS and Traction Control. Check Engine light. Vehicle goes in and out of limp mode. Occasionally the brake lights will turn themselves on and won't turn off..... even if the vehicle is just sitting there parked and not running. The EVIC also flickers.

Wow. A $54,000 vehicle with 171 miles on it and already been on a tow truck once and ruined a family outing trip. Not sure I'm impressed with this thing.

As I understand it my vehicle does not apply for the P58 reflash issue. It's too new. But the symptoms sure sound similar?

Sorry. Just had to vent a bit.

For the second issue, it may be a bad electrical ground.

fun2drive 03-08-2014 05:19 PM

Re: 2014 WK2 3.0 so far NOT so good
 
Sorry to hear of your issues. This isn't how most of us experience the JGC diesel. It certainly starts to sour your impression and I can understand that.
All I can say is that my limited experience with the dealer in my area was super. I hope they have someone that can get this straightened out as it does sound like a connector or two issue. Shield coming off is just plain wrong that should never happen given QC but things slip through.
Here is hoping they get you going again soon. I am thrilled with mine, excellent mileage, very enjoyable to drive and on and on...

crabman 03-08-2014 06:51 PM

Re: 2014 WK2 3.0 so far NOT so good
 
Another possibility is you damaged some wiring with the loose skidplate banging around. They will probably find the fault when they scan but if not the general area might be worth a visual inspection.

Wiley75 03-08-2014 07:06 PM

Re: 2014 WK2 3.0 so far NOT so good
 
Thanks.

Of course, today when I took it into the dealer it didn't act up. No fault lights or EVIC messages. But it did keep "chiming" at him when they drove it for no apparent reason. And the check engine light remained on. Dealer said they pulled two full pages of stored fault codes off of it however. Seemingly everything went wrong at once (obviously some type of electrical issue).

Dealer has it today and requested permission for the shop foreman to drive it home tonight, (he lives 40+ miles from the shop) drive it for Sunday, and drive it back in to the dealer on Monday. He'll likely put 100-150 miles on it. Kinda weird having a total stranger drive my 171 miles old $54,000 SUV around, but then again, I have to allow them the access to the vehicle that they need to properly diagnose and fix.

Suspicion is that it is some type of issue on the CAN bus system. One module on the system is likely corrupted causing all devices on the network to "freak out."

I'm a long time foreign car guy. I drive 50,000 miles a year and usually buy Honda's because they are crazy reliable and have great resale. This time I went on a limb and bought American with this vehicle. I really hope this JGC diesel doesn't turn out to be a huge pile of sh*t.

mtnmerlin 03-09-2014 04:11 PM

Re: 2014 WK2 3.0 so far NOT so good
 
My two cents:

Others who have had a bunch of errors had a loose battery cable or fuses not fully plugged in.

These are complicated vehicles with lots of stuff that can break or give errors. I have received two errors. One went away after turning the engine off and on twice (a shifter error). The other error (exhaust) went away after I reset it with an OBDII device. I recommend getting an OBDII device and an App (I use the Torque App on my phone) so you can view and reset errors.

I have added some shielding underneath to help protect exhaust components. A couple owners have already had exhaust failures caused by rocks or snow. If you look underneath a couple feet behind the right-front tire, you will see cables, hoses, and injector that look rather vulnerable.

My last 3,000 miles have been trouble free. That includes 1,200 miles towing a 3,000 lb trailer, and quite a bit of off-roading.

Rumline 03-11-2014 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtnmerlin (Post 988764)
I have added some shielding underneath to help protect exhaust components. A couple owners have already had exhaust failures caused by rocks or snow. If you look underneath a couple feet behind the right-front tire, you will see cables, hoses, and injector that look rather vulnerable.

What kind of material did you use and how did you attach it?

Aeroguy 03-12-2014 08:30 PM

Re: 2014 WK2 3.0 so far NOT so good
 
If mine had those issues at 171 miles, I'd demand a replacement vehicle.

Wiley75 03-12-2014 10:03 PM

Re: 2014 WK2 3.0 so far NOT so good
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aeroguy (Post 990612)
If mine had those issues at 171 miles, I'd demand a replacement vehicle.

I emailed my sales guy about it but SURPRISE no response. At least I've got it documented with them.

The dealership that is working on it (not where I bought it) kept it for a couple of days and drove it for 110 miles. They could not replicate the problem (of course, because Murphy's law always prevails). They checked several issues that other dealers had suggested on some type of dealer knowledge network. The service report says they checked several electrical connections, ground points, sensors, wire harness rub thru areas, etc. They found nothing. So they gave it back.

Yesterday I drove it 200 miles with no issues.

Problem is, most electrical problems like that don't fix themselves. I really wish the dealer had found a smoking gun so to speak. Now I don't trust the damn thing. Sooner or later it'll do it again. And going into limp mode on the freeway isn't fun, or safe

dsent 03-12-2014 10:15 PM

Re: 2014 WK2 3.0 so far NOT so good
 
Sorry to hear of your problems.

The trouble with intermittent problems is just that they are intermittent.

Its actually better and easier to fix if it breaks all the way!!

The true only way to tell unfortunately if an intermittent is fixed, is time with out a break down.

Hope you get it worked out.

Check into your lemon laws, I think most states the dealer gets 3 tries to repair the same item,then you can start the lemon law process.

I have had to go this route with another MFG and I won the process.

fun2drive 03-12-2014 10:38 PM

Re: 2014 WK2 3.0 so far NOT so good
 
It could well be in the process of connecting an disconnecting the a lot of connectors the problem may be corrected. It is hard to understand but hope that is the case. I know how lack of confidence in a ride is a real disappointment.

I had a brand new Malibu that would just shut off driving down the interstate or in town. Dealer never resolved the problem and I sold the car. If you think limp mode is bad try total power loss no lights nothing at nite driving down an interstate...

wraab 03-13-2014 09:28 AM

Re: 2014 WK2 3.0 so far NOT so good
 
*knock on wood* so far my CRD has been "great" @ 2400 miles.

Yes there are some annoyances, but nothing like what's going on in here.

I do have a rattle in the front driver side that I hear when I hit a bump. Not sure I want to have the dealer look at it as if I've learned one thing, 95% of the time, the dealer makes those problems worse.

Otherwise, my black beauty/black thunder has been a joy. It was great taking the 6 hour drive to hot springs last month.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community