Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Wrangler-YJ, TJ & JK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f89/)
-   -   oil leak (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f89/oil-leak-72574.html)

medontknow2 03-08-2014 04:45 PM

oil leak

Hello there, hey i got a problem with 2014 Sahara , did first oil change ,now i've got a leak looks like its in the valley then leaks onto trans& OF COURSE down . I've looked at oil filter but it seems to be ok .Has any one ran into same kind of problem ?:confused:

Esturk 04-25-2014 07:33 AM

Re: oil leak

I had to take my 2014 Sahara in to get the oil filter adapter replaced. It was leaking just as you have explained. Mine started dripping onto my driveway at about 1700km. Almost 2 months after I bought it. Took it into the dealer and they checked it out right away.

It was all fixed under warranty. Apparently there was a TSB for the oil filter adapter and I was not the first.

ibefila 04-26-2014 07:07 AM

I had a similar problem at about 1,000 miles. Dripping oil in my driveway. It turns out it was a crack in the oil filter housing. It was on national back order and dealers did not want to give them up if they had one. My dealer couldn't find one, but I was able to find a dealer in NY that had two. I live in. FL. It is obviously a common problem. Once they identified the problem, I had to leave the Sahara with them until it was fixed.

Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage

ichthus 05-03-2014 02:31 PM

"Good" to hear that I'm not the only one. Noticed the problem when changing oil at 10k miles, but then saw a spot in the garage that was more fresh than those that came with the house

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

ichthus 05-12-2014 03:31 PM

Nope, they say mine needs a new Rear Main Seal...

Milkdudd 05-20-2014 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibefila (Post 1012586)
It turns out it was a crack in the oil filter housing.

Anyone know if 2014 Wranglers being built now (ordered mine May 5th) will have an updated design or this same problem?

ichthus 05-20-2014 08:00 PM

Word is that they redesigned the part (or maybe they are just using the part from 12-13 that didn't have this problem to begin with)

Milkdudd 05-21-2014 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ichthus (Post 1025488)
Word is that they redesigned the part (or maybe they are just using the part from 12-13 that didn't have this problem to begin with)

That's great news. I really want to go through with the one I have on order. Is there some way to confirm that the current builds are OK. Like a bulletin or something? Thanks to ichthus and anyone else that can help. :thumbsup:

Milkdudd 06-01-2014 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ichthus (Post 1025488)

In the 11 days since my last post I can't find any evidence of this. I ordered a 2014 Willys Wheeler on May 5 so it's likely still a few weeks off. If I can't confirm that newer builds have addressed this issue I may wait to see if 2015's use a different design. :(

ichthus 06-02-2014 03:04 AM

Could be worth the wait. I can't get an answer from my dealership who still wants to swap my rear main seal

arah 06-06-2014 08:20 AM

Chrsyler redesigned the oil filter cartridge assembly for 2014 and there oil filters, to have commonality between there 3.6L and 3.2L engine platforms. Less oil filters to stock for them. I have heard of people having there oil changed at automotive store chains, where they were installing 2013 oil cartridges into the 2014 wranglers. That was causing oil leaks. Also there is a growing problem with the oil coolers located between the valley of the heads failing do to cracking issues of the plastic.

jwilson2598 06-08-2014 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arah (Post 1033293)
Chrsyler redesigned the oil filter cartridge assembly for 2014 and there oil filters, to have commonality between there 3.6L and 3.2L engine platforms. Less oil filters to stock for them. I have heard of people having there oil changed at automotive store chains, where they were installing 2013 oil cartridges into the 2014 wranglers. That was causing oil leaks. Also there is a growing problem with the oil coolers located between the valley of the heads failing do to cracking issues of the plastic.

Since the leak started right at an oil change, I would definitely make sure you have the right filter in there since this has happened to several people on other forums. If you can verify that, then it may be the oil cooler problem.

Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage