Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Rear cargo dimensions? Camping inside WK2? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/rear-cargo-dimensions-camping-inside-wk2-72581.html)

Rexlion 03-08-2014 10:58 PM

Rear cargo dimensions? Camping inside WK2?
 
Can anyone tell me the approximate length, width, and height of the cargo area inside the WK2 with the rear seats folded down?

I was just thinking about the possibility of setting up the rear area with a sleeping mat and some camping equipment for one person. I often camp alone (DW no longer likes to camp), and although I have a trailer there are some trips I don't want to tow the trailer. If I can rig a sleeping area and still have enough space for a little grill & stuff, and somehow put some screens in or over the windows (gotta have ventilation), the Jeep alone might be all the shelter I need. Has anyone else done this?

TIA...

jacko15 03-08-2014 11:06 PM

Re: Rear cargo dimensions? Camping inside WK2?
 
Using the search feature of the forum it took me about 30 seconds to find this old post of mine.
http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/2014-g...tml#post772737

Chicago_Style 03-08-2014 11:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rexlion (Post 988437)
Can anyone tell me the approximate length, width, and height of the cargo area inside the WK2 with the rear seats folded down? I was just thinking about the possibility of setting up the rear area with a sleeping mat and some camping equipment for one person. I often camp alone (DW no longer likes to camp), and although I have a trailer there are some trips I don't want to tow the trailer. If I can rig a sleeping area and still have enough space for a little grill & stuff, and somehow put some screens in or over the windows (gotta have ventilation), the Jeep alone might be all the shelter I need. Has anyone else done this? TIA...

This does not really answer your question.. But I have been thinking about getting this bad boy.

Attachment 36739

Rexlion 03-08-2014 11:21 PM

Re: Rear cargo dimensions? Camping inside WK2?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacko15 (Post 988442)
Using the search feature of the forum it took me about 30 seconds to find this old post of mine.
http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/2014-g...tml#post772737

Hey, that is exactly what I wanted, thanks!

Hmm, I probably would not be able to sit up in bed without hitting my head. (Wait, is that 29" measurement at the rear hatch, or at the interior roof?) And length is a bit scanty, even for my 5'8" frame. Oh well, I have tented before and may tent yet again, although tents are a nuisance IMO.

Rexlion 03-08-2014 11:28 PM

Re: Rear cargo dimensions? Camping inside WK2?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicago_Style (Post 988446)
This does not really answer your question.. But I have been thinking about getting this bad boy.

Attachment 36739

I like the concept of an attached tent, but then I think: what if I want to go somewhere for a few hours and then return to the campsite? Does the tent have to come down?

Chicago_Style 03-08-2014 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rexlion (Post 988452)
I like the concept of an attached tent, but then I think: what if I want to go somewhere for a few hours and then return to the campsite? Does the tent have to come down?

True.. But I think it's just a sleeve that sits over the rear.. Maybe there is a zipper to break up the sections? As far as sleeping in the back.. I say egg crate and sleeping bag my friend lol

Aiyer 03-10-2014 11:17 AM

Re: Rear cargo dimensions? Camping inside WK2?
 
I am 5' 8" and have slept in the WK2 couple of times comfortably. Open the pano roof shade and it is really nice to see the stars at night. :)

If you have other gear in the rear, it might be a bit uncomfortable. Perhaps, you should get a hitch carrier for your gear so you can sleep inside.

Cheers,
-A

eibyer 03-10-2014 12:57 PM

Re: Rear cargo dimensions? Camping inside WK2?
 
My wife and I slept inside our WK2 on one trip and it was comfortable as long as there are no other stuff you need to pack with you. The hitch carrier would work really good if you go that route. Pack the cooler and grill there and you're set :)

Rexlion 03-10-2014 05:16 PM

Re: Rear cargo dimensions? Camping inside WK2?
 
That's interesting info, thanks. A hitch carrier.... hmmm, you have me thinking.

eibyer 03-10-2014 05:58 PM

Re: Rear cargo dimensions? Camping inside WK2?
 
I bought one of this, worked out nicely. Just be careful of any items you place by exhaust, nothing plastic or be creative and put some kind of heat deflector.

The Evil Twin 03-11-2014 08:51 AM

Re: Rear cargo dimensions? Camping inside WK2?
 
When I use an open trailer at the track, I sleep in the GC. All my gear (that can't get wet) goes in the Rubbermaid bins
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...YL._SX300_.jpg
They fit all nice in the cargo area and then I can take them out at night without worry of rain or dew.
I use an air mattress, I think it is a "single" size, in the back and toss a sleeping bag on top. Or just use sheets if it is warm. Depending on just how warm it is I will crack the windows and stuff open cell foam panels in the window track to keep out bugs.
Speaker Foam - Filter foam for speaker covers, noise reduction


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community