Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Best Android MP3 player? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/best-android-mp3-player-72583.html)

YjagetaJeep 03-09-2014 02:30 AM

Best Android MP3 player?

I've been trying different MP3 players with my 730 RHR and find that there are some real differences between them in how I am able to access songs.
I was hoping to get some feedback from you guys to see whats working for you.
Thanks
Ed

ExcursionDiesel 03-10-2014 12:01 AM

I am a long time user of PowerAmp. I can only confirm that it displays song tags properly on the RA4 in my 14 GC. It has a very nice EQ also. There is a trail (oops...trial) version if you want to give it a try.

YjagetaJeep 03-10-2014 12:41 AM

Haven't tried Poweramp but will download it now. Thanks, Ed

Todd3.6 03-10-2014 07:46 PM

Re: Best Android MP3 player?

I actually have 2 music apps on my Galaxy S4.

n7player (paid app) and ES Audio Player (free)

ES Audio Player is actually a shortcut for the media player built into ES File Explorer.

n7player doesn't work well with the 430N.
ES Audio Player works great with the 430N, you can even pause, back, & forward via the buttons on the radio.

Now I just wish Google/Samsung would fix the damn Bluetooth on the S4.
Damn flaky Bluetooth connection for the phone....

Todd3.6 03-14-2014 11:20 PM

Additional info...
It's not the Android phone (S4) that is flakey.
It's Chrysler's UConnect system.

While Android updates/changes with the times...
Our in-dash stereo and it's Bluetooth connect system is stuck in 2010 (or even earlier).

Almost makes me want to rip the damn thing out an replace it with aftermarket, but that would mean dumping at least $1K into a new radio.

Just not worth it.

On the flip side...
While trying to find an Android music player app that would work on an older Android phone (Samsung Nexus S 4G), I found an app called Rocket Player that is based on the original Android Music Player app from Gingerbread (v2.3.7 if I remember correctly).
Very lightweight, yet well designed app. Plays well on older hardware and acknowledges M3U playlists.
I haven't tried it with the Jeep radio yet.
Just got my GC back from the shop after an un-insured driver clipped the rear corner destroying the bumper plastic (fortunately no other damage).

FYI..
The Nexus S is going to be a 'cheap' Android media player for my boat. I had the phone sitting around collecting dust and while it no longer has cell/data service, the wireless and Bluetooth work quite well.

ExcursionDiesel 03-15-2014 12:04 AM

Samsung Galaxy Nexus running KitKat 4.4 works great. So does my Samsong Note 3, wife's S3, and another Nexus running 4.3. Also my Nexus 7 tablet running 4.4 works fine.

My Samsung Win 8.1 Pro tablet PC is not 100%. I have to attempt connection a few times before it works.

I'm not having any BT issues that I would say are definitely uConnect's fault.

GunnySpook 03-15-2014 09:42 AM

I know this is an Android thread (I have a Galaxy S4), but is the Android music world better or worse than the iPhone music environment?

I have a 32Gig iPhone in a drawer. Does it make sense to dedicate that as a music source, rather than constantly connect and reconnect my S4? Which has the better music environment in the GC?

Thanks!

ExcursionDiesel 03-15-2014 11:12 AM

You would be better served leaving the iPhone in the drawer and getting a 32GB sdcard or USB memory stick. They don't need charging, can be swapped easily, and the Uconnect interface is identical.

The real benefit of using a phone is that you take it with you and it can also stream music from online services.

The best method for personal mp3 only playback is to buy an older mp3 player with a big hard drive in it. I have an 80Gb iPod and 40Gb Samsung Zen. Both work great plugged into the USB port. That's where my music collection resides.

GunnySpook 03-15-2014 11:20 AM

Thanks! Exactly the info I was looking for!