Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   How to uncover the towing hook in the back ? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/how-to-uncover-the-towing-hook-in-the-back-72585.html)

DarkHue 03-09-2014 06:29 AM

How to uncover the towing hook in the back ?

I tried looking into the manual but couldn't find a method. Do I just pull it downwards, or is there a button somewhere ? I don't want to damage the thing.

Also, I don't have the SRT badge embossed on the tow hook cap. Does that mean that the car didn't come with a towing package ?

phillysrt 03-09-2014 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkHue (Post 988511)
I tried looking into the manual but couldn't find a method. Do I just pull it downwards, or is there a button somewhere ? I don't want to damage the thing. Also, I don't have the SRT badge embossed on the tow hook cap. Does that mean that the car didn't come with a towing package ?

If you don't have the SRT logo in the back bezel then you do not have the towing package. If the bezel is flat and flows with the rest of the rear then no towing. But if the bezel bumps out a bit then you have the towing package

DarkHue 03-09-2014 09:44 AM

Re: How to uncover the towing hook in the back ?

Here is a photo of the rear :

http://i.imgur.com/EZC4Qq4.jpg

I thought these edges (marked in yellow) indicate that it's removable ??

phillysrt 03-09-2014 09:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkHue (Post 988567)
Here is a photo of the rear : I thought these edges (marked in yellow) indicate that it's removable ??

Yes they are definitely removeable. I bought my rig without the tow package Because I don't have a use for towing. So what I did because I wanted the SRT bezel. I bought a new "tow package" bezel. The one with SRT in it and installed that

Look at my pic and zoom. You'll see the SRT bezel. These come standard on all SRT with tow package

DarkHue 03-09-2014 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phillysrt (Post 988573)
Yes they are definitely removeable. I bought my rig without the tow package Because I don't have a use for towing. So what I did because I wanted the SRT bezel. I bought a new "tow package" bezel. The one with SRT in it and installed that

Look at my pic and zoom. You'll see the SRT bezel. These come standard on all SRT with tow package

Oh that's nice !! Where can I get this ? I would like to replace mine with the SRT bezel as well.

So do I just pull it downwards or do I need to unscrew something or press a button ?

(Beautiful exhaust btw, is that a Borla ATAK ? )

CLStech 03-09-2014 10:09 AM

Look underneath the piece ( bottom of bumper) you should find two knobs on each side of the bezel. Rotate them until they pop out (they do not cone out completely). Remove bezel...

phillysrt 03-09-2014 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkHue (Post 988575)
Oh that's nice !! Where can I get this ? I would like to replace mine with the SRT bezel as well. So do I just pull it downwards or do I need to unscrew something or press a button ? (Beautiful exhaust btw, is that a Borla ATAK ? )

I believe you can order it on justforjeeps.com

Ya it's 2-3 simple pop in thing majigy. Takes little 2 mins for install. It's gotta be simple cause it's meant to be taken off in seconds for towing reason so don't worry about that

Thanks for the comment on the exhaust. Yup it is the atak. Not too sure how I feel about it. At full throttle it has a nice rumble but at normal driving sometimes it's just not loud enough. If I had to redo it again I would have saved my money and went with something else

When I got it back from getting the exhaust on I remote started it and I couldn't believe it. Sounded alittle better than stock. Some like the sound. Some don't. Like I said if I could do it over. I would go towards something else.

DarkHue 03-09-2014 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLStech (Post 988594)
Look underneath the piece ( bottom of bumper) you should find two knobs on each side of the bezel. Rotate them until they pop out (they do not cone out completely). Remove bezel...

Thank you, that did it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by phillysrt (Post 988595)
I believe you can order it on justforjeeps.com

Ya it's 2-3 simple pop in thing majigy. Takes little 2 mins for install. It's gotta be simple cause it's meant to be taken off in seconds for towing reason so don't worry about that

Thanks for the comment on the exhaust. Yup it is the atak. Not too sure how I feel about it. At full throttle it has a nice rumble but at normal driving sometimes it's just not loud enough. If I had to redo it again I would have saved my money and went with something else

When I got it back from getting the exhaust on I remote started it and I couldn't believe it. Sounded alittle better than stock. Some like the sound. Some don't. Like I said if I could do it over. I would go towards something else.

Thanks I'll check the website out. What exhaust would you get then ? And why exactly ?

phillysrt 03-09-2014 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkHue (Post 988602)
Thank you, that did it. Thanks I'll check the website out. What exhaust would you get then ? And why exactly ?

See that's the tricky part. I want the GT Haus exhaust but I can't justify spending 3k on an exhaust. I guess seeing how in always used to cat back exhaust and the Borla is an axle back I should have expected.

So what I have planned is keeping the atak and putting in some cutouts so I have that loud aggressive scream that I want while having a mellow sound while easy driving

DarkHue 03-09-2014 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phillysrt (Post 988608)
See that's the tricky part. I want the GT Haus exhaust but I can't justify spending 3k on an exhaust. I guess seeing how in always used to cat back exhaust and the Borla is an axle back I should have expected.

So what I have planned is keeping the atak and putting in some cutouts so I have that loud aggressive scream that I want while having a mellow sound while easy driving

Ahhhh I see. I was personally thinking of the borla Atak. Other than the missing aggression you're looking for, how's the cabin drone ?

phillysrt 03-09-2014 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkHue (Post 988611)
Ahhhh I see. I was personally thinking of the borla Atak. Other than the missing aggression you're looking for, how's the cabin drone ?

Cabin drone is fine. Not an issue at all! Don't get me wrong the Borla atak is a great exhaust and well made!!! That being said I just want louder so I guess it's nothing against the atak just more personal preference.

If your looking for a great exhaust while not having to break the bank I said to with the atak. You certainly won't be disappointed. When you put the car in track mode the exhaust changes quite a bit. It's pretty cool.

DarkHue 03-09-2014 10:36 AM

Thanks for the info !! Will keep that in mind :)