Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2014+ Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel 3.0 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f222/)
-   -   Service DEF - See Dealer (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f222/service-def-see-dealer-72634.html)

cwmccall 03-10-2014 08:20 AM

Service DEF - See Dealer

160 Miles from Home last night and I get the EVIC message:
Engine Will
Not Restart
in 200 Mi
Service DEF
See Dealer

I hope this turns out to be a "good" experience with the dealer (DEF level = +75%)

Updates to follow....

:confused:

cwmccall 03-10-2014 04:03 PM

Re: Service DEF - See Dealer

....and the dealer says "Broken DEF injector". I spent 7 hrs on the highway yesterday and now I have a broken DEF injector. :confused: According to the mechanic: No visible signs of damage. Ok... I guess the thing got lemp and decided not to perform anymore. I saw it - It's just hanging there off to the side a little -- dripping. Injector is back ordered and they might have it Wednesday. 9 miles left until I'm not allowed to restart it.

cwmccall 03-10-2014 06:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
...and there you go.

stratoblaster 03-10-2014 06:32 PM

Dang, that looks vulnerable! Do you have the factory skidplates? If not, I wonder if they would even cover that area?

cwmccall 03-10-2014 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stratoblaster (Post 989400)
Dang, that looks vulnerable! Do you have the factory skidplates? If not, I wonder if they would even cover that area?

That's just strapped there so it doesn't drag the ground. It routes to a position on top of the exhaust. But the wiring harness route seems very vulnerable. No skid plates and I don't think they would help anyway.

nookie 03-10-2014 08:59 PM

European models don't have any of that crap. bummer that had to feck it up for our market.
Love my diesel, but have had issues with DEF system as well, DEF heater, plus NOX sensor.

Looked at the injector yesterday as well, that thing will blow of before the warranty is up for sure.

stratoblaster 03-10-2014 11:09 PM

Bummer, so much for Jeep "ruggedness" eh? Maybe an aftermarket opportunity for shield/armor?

cwmccall 03-13-2014 04:39 PM

Got the call about an hour ago that the injector was in. Install tomorrow. What a pain.

visitador 03-14-2014 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nookie (Post 989502)
European models don't have any of that crap. bummer that had to feck it up for our market.
Love my diesel, but have had issues with DEF system as well, DEF heater, plus NOX sensor.

Looked at the injector yesterday as well, that thing will blow of before the warranty is up for sure.

Don't blame the emission requirements for this country. Other brands (Mercedes, Audis, VWs, Porsche etc) have DEF systems too. I have yet to read DEF equipment issues on Cayenne forums. I personally think this is a Chrysler design issue.

cwmccall 03-14-2014 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by visitador (Post 991527)
Don't blame the emission requirements for this country. Other brands (Mercedes, Audis, VWs, Porsche etc) have DEF systems too. I have yet to read DEF equipment issues on Cayenne forums. I personally think this is a Chrysler design issue.

I'll blame the emissions "requirements". It's ALSO a design issue. But If the stupid requirement was never put in place, there wouldn't be an issue with DEF.

mmgibbard 03-17-2014 01:33 PM

It's a design issue, my 2014 DEF injector was knocked out by heavy snow. So much for the T.V. ad showing the GC plowing through snow. Local dealer has involved his regional factory ref but 2 weeks later still no work on a permenate
resolution.

cwmccall 03-17-2014 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmgibbard (Post 993078)
It's a design issue, my 2014 DEF injector was knocked out by heavy snow. So much for the T.V. ad showing the GC plowing through snow. Local dealer has involved his regional factory ref but 2 weeks later still no work on a permenate resolution.

Yea, from all that I have read, it's definitely a design issue. It looks like it's made of plastic. I ran through some water, maybe that broke it off.