Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Compass inoperable (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/compass-inoperable-72661.html)

r-man 03-10-2014 07:00 PM

Compass inoperable

'14 JGC Summit with Nav.. Small issue but big frustration. My compass only works occasionally. So far the dealer has replaced the radio and today replaced a sensor in the rear view mirror but still not working. Sometimes the compass will activate upon starting the car but most times it does not. Compass does not activate except upon starting. Anyone have a clue?:mad:

r-man 03-20-2014 04:06 PM

Re: Compass inoperable

RESOLUTION!! After taking the JGC in for the 3rd time and the dealer keeping it for a week, this time replacing the antenna (after replacing the radio and the rear view mirror previously) it still did not work. Chrysler flew in some guru who told them that practically all the electronics flow through the Body Control Module and to check that. Guess what - faulty BCM. Now I knew the electronics were controlled by the BCM from reading this forum - WHY DID CHRYSLER DEALERS NOT KNOW THIS? Why didn't the electrical schematics not show this? Bottom line, Chrysler had to bear the cost of a radio, mirror, antenna, rental car for me for a week (they sent me to Enterprise) and who knows how many manhours that could have been saved if they just looked it up.:slapfight:

KJPECHO 04-23-2014 03:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just bought a 2013 JGC. I do not have NAV...I looked for my directional compass for a few days and was beginning to think, "what the hell kind of vehicle now a days comes without a compass?" when I noticed on my EVIC display in the upper left hand corner, two dashes (--). I looked in the user manual and it is in fact my compass. I have attached a picture which shows my EVIC display with the two dashes. I tried many times to calibrate the compass through the SETUP menu and driving in 360deg circles (probably look like a fool doing so), and still have no luck. Still only two dashes (--). I did notice when looking through the user manual that my compass variance zone should be set at 9 but it is set at 8 and I can not change it. Do you think that this issue could be the same problem with the Body Control Module (BCM)? Not sure if the wiring/electronics is the same in the 2013 as in the 2014.

WATacoRider 04-23-2014 11:01 PM

Still in warranty, let dealer handle it.

Racer83L 04-24-2014 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJPECHO (Post 1011471)
I just bought a 2013 JGC. I do not have NAV...I looked for my directional compass for a few days and was beginning to think, "what the hell kind of vehicle now a days comes without a compass?" when I noticed on my EVIC display in the upper left hand corner, two dashes (--). I looked in the user manual and it is in fact my compass. I have attached a picture which shows my EVIC display with the two dashes. I tried many times to calibrate the compass through the SETUP menu and driving in 360deg circles (probably look like a fool doing so), and still have no luck. Still only two dashes (--). I did notice when looking through the user manual that my compass variance zone should be set at 9 but it is set at 8 and I can not change it. Do you think that this issue could be the same problem with the Body Control Module (BCM)? Not sure if the wiring/electronics is the same in the 2013 as in the 2014.

I dont know if you have a base model or not, but in the past I had a base charger, and there was no compass installed in the car.. the display looked like that one.

AAAA 04-24-2014 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r-man (Post 994909)
RESOLUTION!! After taking the JGC in for the 3rd time and the dealer keeping it for a week, this time replacing the antenna (after replacing the radio and the rear view mirror previously) it still did not work. Chrysler flew in some guru who told them that practically all the electronics flow through the Body Control Module and to check that. Guess what - faulty BCM. Now I knew the electronics were controlled by the BCM from reading this forum - WHY DID CHRYSLER DEALERS NOT KNOW THIS? Why didn't the electrical schematics not show this? Bottom line, Chrysler had to bear the cost of a radio, mirror, antenna, rental car for me for a week (they sent me to Enterprise) and who knows how many manhours that could have been saved if they just looked it up.:slapfight:

Reminds me of Fiat. Doh!

scooterha 04-24-2014 09:30 AM

Get it to the dealer and don't fool with it.

KJPECHO 06-11-2014 03:29 PM

Finally got to the bottom of this compass issue...you're all gonna love this!

So my JGC was a base model Laredo 4x4. I wasn't aware of it when I bought the vehicle used but the car did not originally come with a sunroof (wtf car does not come with a sunroof...its 2014?). The sunroof was installed aftermarket by the dealership (not sure if it was done by the original purchaser when they bought the vehicle or done by the dealership when it was up for sale the 2nd time. Chrysler warranties the sunroof...but it so happens that the module that the compass gets its navigational information from is located exactly where the hole of the sunroof is...the dealership said they went up there and fished for the wires/connection to see if it was left up there and they said it was removed when the sunroof was installed. No OEM navigational compass for me ever....looks like ill be stopping at 1st truck stop I see on my next road trip, for one of those godawful dashboard compasses....SMH