Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   **Warning for UConnect Users** (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/warning-for-uconnect-users-72701.html)

GCLimited 03-11-2014 03:19 PM

**Warning for UConnect Users**

I recently traded my 2014 GC Limited 4x4 (with an expired UConnect account I might add) for a new 2014 GC Overland 4x4 last Saturday. When I registered for UConnect again for the new vehicle, BOTH vehicles showed up on the account AND BOTH WERE ENABLED!

:eek:

So I called the UConnect help line, and they had to deactivate & delete the old vehicle from my UConnect account. What I find interesting was how the representative did not know if I would have been able to still unlock doors or start the old vehicle.

14OverNY 03-11-2014 04:35 PM

Re: **Warning for UConnect Users**

Good to know. Thanks.

In a somewhat related thought, I would bet we will soon be hearing of cars being broken into through phone virus/data theft. Hope I'm wrong.

lstowell 03-11-2014 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14OverNY (Post 989901)
Good to know. Thanks.

In a somewhat related thought, I would bet we will soon be hearing of cars being broken into through phone virus/data theft. Hope I'm wrong.

I fear you are not at all wrong, you are too optimistic in that regard, and worse, it has already happened.

bill_de 03-11-2014 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14OverNY (Post 989901)
Good to know. Thanks.

I think it was 60 Minutes that already did a show on it. The software couldn't open every car, but they just walked through a parking lot and all sorts of cars were opened and most that opened, started.

---

Medpilot 03-11-2014 11:03 PM

Sorry, a little off topic here, but...

I was thinking about doing what you did except trading my 14' 4x4 Overland GC 3.6 for the same thing except for it having a V8.

Just curious what kind of value they gave you for your trade-in? I'm going to call my dealer tomorrow to see what they will give me on my trade-in.

SNUKE 03-11-2014 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 989926)
I think it was 60 Minutes that already did a show on it. The software couldn't open every car, but they just walked through a parking lot and all sorts of cars were opened and most that opened, started.

There were several news reports covering this

NBC Today Show Segment demonstrating high tech way criminals break into cars - YouTube

See how car thieves are using high tech devices to breaking in vehicles - YouTube

Car thieves using technology to gain access; keyless entry to autos. - YouTube

Dan JGC 03-12-2014 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCLimited (Post 989863)
I recently traded my 2014 GC Limited 4x4 (with an expired UConnect account I might add) for a new 2014 GC Overland 4x4 last Saturday. When I registered for UConnect again for the new vehicle, BOTH vehicles showed up on the account AND BOTH WERE ENABLED!

:eek:

So I called the UConnect help line, and they had to deactivate & delete the old vehicle from my UConnect account. What I find interesting was how the representative did not know if I would have been able to still unlock doors or start the old vehicle.

No surprise here...if they left you on the account with unconnect, of course you'd have access. I would guess a vehicle can only be assigned to one uconnect account so they just hadn't swathed it yet.

1st jeep 03-12-2014 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCLimited (Post 989863)
I recently traded my 2014 GC Limited 4x4 (with an expired UConnect account I might add) for a new 2014 GC Overland 4x4 last Saturday. When I registered for UConnect again for the new vehicle, BOTH vehicles showed up on the account AND BOTH WERE ENABLED! :eek: So I called the UConnect help line, and they had to deactivate & delete the old vehicle from my UConnect account. What I find interesting was how the representative did not know if I would have been able to still unlock doors or start the old vehicle.

This happened to me in December as well. I thought it was a 1-off issue. But I guess not.

padgett 03-12-2014 10:29 AM

So the least technologically advanced car is the safest from threat.

bill_de 03-12-2014 10:41 AM

The biggest concern would be for somebody buying a used car. I'm not going to be too concerned if I can still start my Jeep after I sell it.

I am surprised that there is no way to deactivate the system from in the vehicle ... Or maybe there is.

How many people trade in or sell a car without clearing the Homelink system? On my Acura they even had a reminder in the owners manual to clear data from the nav and entertainment systems. It was all just a few button presses.

---

1st jeep 03-12-2014 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 990324)
The biggest concern would be for somebody buying a used car. I'm not going to be too concerned if I can still start my Jeep after I sell it. I am surprised that there is no way to deactivate the system from in the vehicle ... Or maybe there is. How many people trade in or sell a car without clearing the Homelink system? On my Acura they even had a reminder in the owners manual to clear data from the nav and entertainment systems. It was all just a few button presses. ---

Agreed, I cleared out Homelink, ALL the navi stuff and made sure the presets phone #s were gone.

However, I overlooked the Uconnect.

Roki303 03-12-2014 11:04 AM

There is a way to "unregister" vin from you uconnect account. It erases everything. Tried that couple of times when was dealing with "vehicle phone requires service" issue.