Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2014+ Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel 3.0 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f222/)
-   -   Banks working on a CRD (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f222/banks-working-on-a-crd-72744.html)

joenjulie 03-12-2014 03:20 PM

Banks working on a CRD

Don't know if anyone has seen this yet, I googled CAI for grand Cherokee diesel, and in another forum I saw this, pretty interesting.
My Diesel GC at BANKS for tuneing - JeepForum.com

What do you guys think? I know Banks already has a race set up of this motor with stock block I saw in Diesel Power, of course everything else was set up for big power, but this looks promising and I atleast trust Banks to make something right.

fun2drive 03-12-2014 06:02 PM

Re: Banks working on a CRD

We have a forum member who's ride is at Gale Banks for test and evaluation while he is deployed. If you search Gale Banks you should come across his thread...

joenjulie 03-12-2014 06:28 PM

Must be same guy, just didn't see anything on "the garage"

fun2drive 03-13-2014 03:24 PM

Found it, wrong forum my apologizes.
My Diesel GC at BANKS for tuneing - JeepForum.com
Would have sworn it was on our site too...

Rexlion 03-13-2014 06:37 PM

I think it might void the power train warranty. But it's a free country....

philbytx 03-14-2014 09:59 AM

My thoughts exactly....unless Gale Banks has some tuner arrangement with Chrysler/Jeep, I certainly wouldn't entertain doing it while the vehicle is under warranty.

racer-xerols 03-15-2014 10:36 AM

That is some very cool news. I like the idea of a free-breathing exhaust that's still quiet (I know...the quiet is a result of the DPF...). I have a Banks exhaust on my Cummins - great flow, boost comes up faster, I get about another 3psi at WFO with the exhaust swap, and my EGT's dropped quite a bit. All without any annoying drone or noise. Can't wait to see what they come up with for the Eco (and hopefully they will have something that will work with Summit tips!).

ExcursionDiesel 03-15-2014 10:51 AM

Was your Banks exhaust on your Cummins a full exhaust including downpipe? DPF or not?

I suspect eliminating dual mufflers and better piping after the restrictive DPF will offer marginal gains. The weight loss might help as much.

If anyone figures out how to install shim resistors in place of the dpf back pressure sensor, the dpf can be deleted or gutted for much better gains. I am curious if the stock ECU cares if regen never happens again.

racer-xerols 03-16-2014 01:25 PM

My Cummins is an '01, no DPF. I got the full exhaust - power elbow, downpipe, and all pipes/muffler/tip. Bone stock truck with over 220k on it when I changed the exhaust, and I still saw a noticeable gain in throttle response from the quicker spool-up. Very happy.

crabman 03-17-2014 12:13 PM

I'm not able to follow the external link, my internet is 4k. No, that wasn't a misprint, the speed is sub dial up. At any rate the Banks stuff is generally good (read works and is relatively safe) if somewhat overpriced. For most folks here who don't seem much immersed in the performance scene an outfit like banks could be a good bet though because they do the homework for you and tend to err toward safety and reliability.

About that warranty, don't be afraid (I'll get back to that) but be realistic.

Lots of folks will bring up the MM act saying "they" have to prove this and that. Not the case in the real world, the MM act exists but it doesn't matter up front. The way it goes down is that something is broke, you go in to get it fixed but the dealership (or Chrysler's rep) denies the warranty coverage because of some part you installed. You can now bring up the MM act to your hearts content and it makes no difference whatsoever, possession is 9/10s of ownership and you are not in possession of your warranty coverage. It isn't like they have to fix something and then try and get the money back from you later after they prove anything, its just the opposite. You have to later prove that your part didn't cause or contribute to the break down. At the time of denial you will be out of pocket or broke down until such time as you follow what may or may not be a very long process to its conclusion. That is where the MM act will play out, somewhere along the process. Once you do while the MM act provides the possibility to recover fees there is no guarantee that you will get them whether you win or not. I took one of these all the way and did win but did not get my fees.

Another important facet of warranty coverage is that when it comes to the drivetrain and many other parts the dealership cannot authorize warranty coverage. They have a regional rep who comes in to look at it and the rep then says yes or no. This person does not sell cars and has no mercy. If he/she says no the dealership cannot be reimbursed for time and must pay for the parts themselves if they wish to honor the warranty on their end. You then come down to a question of just how good a customer you are, good enough for the dealership to come out of pocket for a trans? An engine? I know I'm not such a customer. Think about this carefully when the dealership says modifications wont be a problem because if they do become a problem they tend to forget those statements in a big hurry. Its happened to lots and lots of people.

Back to no fear. Lots of people talk about having the warranty voided. This cannot happen outside of some specific cases. Odo tampering, car totaled, modified so much as to change its intended use from that which it was sold for... There are others but I cant recall them off hand. None of them apply to the mods typically done by us and you should not have this as a concern. What you most commonly face is a case by case denial and the worst possibility is usually a voiding of the powertrain warranty. In either case go in for most things such as a power mirror stopped working and your warranty is intact and everything goes as if no modifications were made at all. Go to get what is deemed an affected part or something that has been influenced by an affected part and then it gets sticky. This is where doing your homework or sticking with shops like Banks pays off, the modifications are made with long term reliability in mind, are actually tested somewhat, and should be relatively safe.

On the performance forums the saying is anyone who mods their car should be willing and financially capable of being their own warranty station should the worst come to pass. Chose parts and the tune carefully and you probably wont have a problem. This isn't a case of hoping to get lucky, its hoping your are not the poor sucker that gets unlucky. If you are that guy/girl though it can be painful if you don't have the means to get through it. This comes up from time to time over on the dark side and its sad when someone gets in a jam they cant get themselves out of on their own hook.

I'm trying to scare anyone off, preach, etc. I'm guilty as hell having owned few cars I didn't mod and many that I substantially modded but I did it eyes open. Mod smart and you very unlikely to have a problem but if things go bad you should be able to get yourself out of trouble. In some ways diesel can be worse than gas because you can add substantial power quickly and cheaply in many cases.

Have fun gents. :)

muzhik 03-22-2014 02:42 AM

Very well-stated, crabman!

I take it one step further than being willing and financially capable of being my own warranty station. I prefer to turn my own wrenches as well. I truly believe that nobody will be as motivated as I am to do a thorough job on my mods. I stand to lose (and gain) the most from a job done poorly (or well). If/when something fails, I can diagnose and repair a lot more easily if I'm the one that did the mods myself. There's no finger-pointing or suspicion of cover-ups by the shop, because I AM the shop.

Sure, I've spent probably more to buy tools I seldom use than I would have spent to pay a "professional" to do the work. I know my philosophy isn't for everyone, but it has worked well for me over the years.

Now with that being said, I'm not about to do R&D on mods. I'll leave that to Gale Banks (and others). Typically I even shy away from being an early adopter. I like a mod to be proven for awhile in the real world before I take the plunge.

crabman 03-22-2014 04:29 AM

Good advice about not being an early adopter. As an example there was lots of carnage when rail pressure boxes were first introduced but it took time for it to go down and a lot of early adopters ran into some expensive bills where at first everything looked safe enough. This is where it being easy gets you into trouble as well. I was among the first few to get a pilot run rail pressure box from Edge who were first to market. When I got it the owner of local shop was interested in its potential as he hadn't had one in hand yet so we did a bunch of before and after dyno runs at each setting. The advertised 80 hp was no joke, it attained a consistent mid 80 improvement. All I had to do was spend 390 bucks and it took less than a minute to plug it in. 80 hp. At the time we didn't know about the upcoming carnage which would lead them to reducing the max rail pressure setting and as a result, the hp, which went down to 60.

This is the kind of power you can quickly and easily add to a diesel engine and there are definitely consequences when you add that kind of power that have to be dealt with. If you're the first you are going to find them, if you sit back and wait others will.