Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Hard water stains on glass (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/hard-water-stains-on-glass-72752.html)

dubwarren 03-12-2014 06:19 PM

Hard water stains on glass

I've got hard water and now my windshield is showing stains after a recent wash. I guess I didn't wipe the windshield down quick enough. It's really annoying while driving and the sun is directly in my face. You can see the water marks really well.

Can these marks/water stains be safely easily removed?

Any help is appreciated. Forgive me if this topic has been covered.

Aiyer 03-12-2014 06:44 PM

Re: Hard water stains on glass

Try vinegar....

GBJeep 03-12-2014 06:50 PM

You can use Super Fine #0000 steel wool, this will not damage the glass and removes water spots. I tried this on my Jeep & the wife's car-works great.

elitesigs 03-12-2014 07:19 PM

I would try regular clay before vinegar or steel wool. These two products could harm your paint if you are not careful applying them. Mine had hard water spots and a few passes with glass cleaner after a wash, then clay, and for bad spots use a finishing polish...came right off. Keep heavy lubricant on the clay and make 10-15 passes in a small section, adjust your technique based on the results you're seeing. I also like to keep the clay used on glass and paint separate.

If they are really bad, you can buy glass specific polish, but based on the condition of mine, I can't see it requiring that. If yours is worse, clay and glass polish with a glass specific cutting pad may be the best answer.

How to remove water spots off glass - YouTube

dubwarren 03-12-2014 08:33 PM

Greatly appreciate the info. Bye bye water spots

dubwarren 03-12-2014 08:46 PM

The guy in that YouTube video is a master.....

mswlogo 03-12-2014 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elitesigs (Post 990570)
I would try regular clay before vinegar or steel wool. These two products could harm your paint if you are not careful applying them. Mine had hard water spots and a few passes with glass cleaner after a wash, then clay, and for bad spots use a finishing polish...came right off. Keep heavy lubricant on the clay and make 10-15 passes in a small section, adjust your technique based on the results you're seeing. I also like to keep the clay used on glass and paint separate.

If they are really bad, you can buy glass specific polish, but based on the condition of mine, I can't see it requiring that. If yours is worse, clay and glass polish with a glass specific cutting pad may be the best answer.

How to remove water spots off glass - YouTube

Geezus that stupid F'n Video almost blew my ears out.

I have very capable speakers on my computer and they were not set that loud. But that Video was insanely loud. Idiots.

canistel 03-13-2014 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elitesigs (Post 990570)
I would try regular clay before vinegar or steel wool. These two products could harm your paint if you are not careful applying them.

In my opinion, I would try some (watered down) vinegar first; I have a hard time believing it will damage anything. My parents have used that exclusively all their life, both on the cars and in the house, never had any damage issues whatsoever. It's safe, cheap, very effective, and easy on the environment. Most of those other cleaners nowadays are nasty stuff.

dubwarren 03-13-2014 08:34 AM

White vinegar?

DarkHue 03-13-2014 08:40 AM

Can't you just use those glass wipes they sell ?

http://www.armorall.com.au/wp-conten...25-220x404.png

LTrainGC 03-13-2014 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubwarren (Post 990879)
White vinegar?

Yes - can be purchased from any grocery store.

Vinegar and #0000 (super fine) steel wool worked like a charm for me on some tough water spots I had.

dubwarren 03-13-2014 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkHue (Post 990882)
Can't you just use those glass wipes they sell ?

I think that's similar to using windex. Works ok for dust and light film but doesn't do anything to remove the hard water stains.