Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Is either of the power outlets hot all the time? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/is-either-of-the-power-outlets-hot-all-the-time-72764.html)

asdad123 03-13-2014 07:56 AM

Is either of the power outlets hot all the time?

Hey guys, I should be receiving my jeep in a couple weeks and am looking to getting a dashboard camera.

I have one quick question though that I can't find the answer to. Does the 2014 (limited to be exact) have a power outlet that stays on when the car is turned off? I know some cars have that (or can be modded to with a add-a-fuse).

I would like to have my dashboard camera on when the car is parked incase it ever gets hits in the parking lot which has happened to me before.

jacko15 03-13-2014 10:06 AM

Re: Is either of the power outlets hot all the time?

From the owner's manual (which you can download here: http://www.jeep.com/en/owners/manuals/ )

"ELECTRICAL POWER OUTLETS
Your vehicle is equipped with 12 Volt (13 Amp) power
outlets that can be used to power cellular phones, small
electronics and other low powered electrical accessories.
The power outlets are labeled with either a “key” or a
“battery” symbol to indicate how the outlet is powered.
Power outlets labeled with a “key” are powered when
the ignition is in the ON or ACC position, while the
outlets labeled with a “battery” are connected directly to
the battery and powered at all times.
NOTE:
• All accessories connected to the “battery” powered
outlets should be removed or turned off when the
vehicle is not in use to protect the battery against
discharge."

asdad123 03-13-2014 10:09 AM

Awesome thanks. I don't have the vehicle yet (awaiting delivery) so I can't check which outlet has the battery symbol lol

jacko15 03-13-2014 10:15 AM

If you download the manual and look at the diagrams carefully, you can see which are which. And also how to swap them out.

asdad123 03-13-2014 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacko15 (Post 990922)
If you download the manual and look at the diagrams carefully, you can see which are which. And also how to swap them out.

Yep just did that. Looks like the one inside the center console is battery powered which is what I'll probably use. I'll just run the wire tucked into the puller and under the floor mats rather than tapping into the electrical system lol.

Thanks again!

One last question, I've been reading it a bit and says in order to enable the rear power outlet to be battery powered, to switch the fuse, but it doesn't say what kind of fuse to change it to. Do they mean to just flip the fuse?

Jim_in_PA 03-13-2014 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdad123 (Post 990924)
One last question, I've been reading it a bit and says in order to enable the rear power outlet to be battery powered, to switch the fuse, but it doesn't say what kind of fuse to change it to. Do they mean to just flip the fuse?

There are two positions for the fuse...one (factory position) only provides power when the ignition is on. When you move the fuse to the other position, it gives you "hot" all the time. It will likely look like three slots with the fuse only using two of them, the middle one being the feed out to the accessory.

mswlogo 03-13-2014 12:29 PM

If I recall the one inside the Center Console is on all the time. And the one under the radio is Keyed.

I'm not sure if the USB socket is powered when key-off though.

mswlogo 03-13-2014 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim_in_PA (Post 990964)
There are two positions for the fuse...one (factory position) only provides power when the ignition is on. When you move the fuse to the other position, it gives you "hot" all the time. It will likely look like three slots with the fuse only using two of them, the middle one being the feed out to the accessory.

Cool. Is that option available on the other Keyed ones?

I'd like to have the one under the Radio on all the time.

jacko15 03-13-2014 02:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Afraid not. Here's the fuse listings:

The Evil Twin 03-13-2014 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim_in_PA (Post 990964)

Is that an option in the previous years?

jacko15 03-13-2014 06:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Evil Twin (Post 991108)
Is that an option in the previous years?

Not finding it for '11-'13 GCs.

edit: I take that back: M7 — 20 Amp
Yellow Power Outlet #2 - Cargo (Switched - install in slots 1-2; always on - slots 2-3)

Jim_in_PA 03-14-2014 10:03 AM

Just be sure to consider the implications of leaving additional outlets "hot" when the vehicle isn't running...it can be easy to, um...not have any starting power...if someone leaves some device plugged in without your knowledge.