Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   2014 LED Tail Light as Brake/Turn signal?? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/2014-led-tail-light-as-brake-turn-signal-72769.html)

Jeff_H2O 03-13-2014 10:31 AM

2014 LED Tail Light as Brake/Turn signal??

I'm just curious if there is a way to tap the LED Tail lights into the brake light and turn signal circuit so that when you brake, those leds get brighter and when you signal, those lights will blink?

I think that would be awesome if those LED's could be used for more than just running lights (like the chargers LED tail lights do). Would give it a nice appearance versus the boring turn single bulbs that are used now inside the housing.

http://www.carrentingreviews.com/wp-...r-sideline.jpg

Maybe you can get some kind of software or update that will allow you to tap into those lights like they do in this video with a Dodge Charger for the police force.

Start at 1:16, you will see the tail lights have been tapped in to blink accordingly when the sirens are on. Wonder if we could do that for our tail lights in conjuction with our brake and turn signal settings???? Just food for thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3q7zgiY6t0

If any car lighting guru could shed light on this, I'd be very interested!

Jeep_addicted 03-13-2014 02:13 PM

Re: 2014 LED Tail Light as Brake/Turn signal??

Let me start out be saying I am not a lighting guru. and I have a limited mechanical knowledge.

To answer your question you could make the light "halos" the brake/turn lights if you swapped the park light wires.

The wiring did not change much from the 2011-2013.

What got changed was the the park lights got a separate connector that feeds the LED that lights the halo. So now the brake light is a single contact bulb.

Maybe you could use the halo as brake and taillights if you added those modules the turn LED strips into dual instensity by feeding lower voltage for parklight mode and higher voltage for brake light turn signal mode.

Jeff_H2O 03-13-2014 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep_addicted (Post 991015)
To answer your question you could make the light "halos" the brake/turn lights if you swapped the park light wires.

What got changed was the the park lights got a separate connector that feeds the LED that lights the halo. So now the brake light is a single contact bulb.

Maybe you could use the halo as brake and taillights if you added those modules the turn LED strips into dual instensity by feeding lower voltage for parklight mode and higher voltage for brake light turn signal mode.

I'd be very interested in trying this, how hard would this be to do?? Isn't there a connecter on the bulbs somewhere that maybe I could just disconnect the brake/turn light strip and swap/connect it with the LED Halo strip? (assuming the plugs are the same). Would that work?

My only question with that would be, then If I'm not hitting the brakes or using my signal, the LEDs would probably be off right?? So that wouldn't be good at night when driving. I'd need a way to have them still work as driving tail lights, but also work as signals and breaks.

I'm really curious about this possibility, I'm sure others out there would be interested in this as well. Would give it an AUDI type look in the rear when signaling and braking. Huge improvement in it's appearance I think.

Jeep_addicted 03-13-2014 03:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_H2O (Post 991021)
I'd be very interested in trying this, how hard would this be to do?? Isn't there a connecter on the bulbs somewhere that maybe I could just disconnect the brake/turn light strip and swap/connect it with the LED Halo strip? (assuming the plugs are the same). Would that work?

My only question with that would be, then If I'm not hitting the brakes or using my signal, the LEDs would probably be off right?? So that wouldn't be good at night when driving. I'd need a way to have them still work as driving tail lights, but also work as signals and breaks.

I'm really curious about this possibility, I'm sure others out there would be interested in this as well. Would give it an AUDI type look in the rear when signaling and braking. Huge improvement in it's appearance I think.

Swapping the connector isn't possible because they are not the same.

What I was suggesting is to add the dual converters to make the LEDs dual intensity.

Jeff_H2O 03-13-2014 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep_addicted (Post 991046)
Swapping the connector isn't possible because they are not the same.

What I was suggesting is to add the dual converters to make the LEDs dual intensity.

Where would I get something like that?? I'm definitely a newbie to this kind of thing. You seem to really know your stuff, thanks for the insight so far!

Jeep_addicted 03-13-2014 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_H2O (Post 991051)
Where would I get something like that?? I'm definitely a newbie to this kind of thing. You seem to really know your stuff, thanks for the insight so far!

Try Custom Dynamics Motorcycle LED Lights Motorcycle LEDs Lighting Accessories search under "truflex"

shaky1977 03-14-2014 11:07 AM

Jeff... I have thaught about it, but little different.

First of all... that running led lights are in 2 pieces , one is outer side which is fixed with brake/turn housing and other is on lift gate.

I was thinking to tap Brake and turn signal wires into outer housing, and leave the lift gate led alone. this way at night only the lift gate led running lights will be on.. ( although it will look like outer running leds are blown/not working ) But with brake and turn signals they would work. just the thuaght i had.

But yeah.. I would also like to know what can be done. Your idea of making it work like audi would be awesome. will give the jeep even better look from behind.

Jeff_H2O 03-14-2014 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaky1977 (Post 991441)
Jeff... I have thaught about it, but little different.

First of all... that running led lights are in 2 pieces , one is outer side which is fixed with brake/turn housing and other is on lift gate.

I was thinking to tap Brake and turn signal wires into outer housing, and leave the lift gate led alone. this way at night only the lift gate led running lights will be on.. ( although it will look like outer running leds are blown/not working ) But with brake and turn signals they would work. just the thuaght i had.

But yeah.. I would also like to know what can be done. Your idea of making it work like audi would be awesome. will give the jeep even better look from behind.

I like the sound of that, I'd be interested in your Idea too if someone was able to get it to work. That's kind of how other dodge products are now anyways, where the rear has a long strip of LED but only the outer end actually Brake and Signal. The rest of the strip is just always lit. That would be the same idea with what you mentioned for the Jeep.

Now if only we could do that but also keep the entire halo lit when driving... hmmm

Jeff_H2O 03-14-2014 11:22 AM

Also after examining the tail lights closer, it appears that a majority of the LED Halo housing is actually hollow on the inside and really only has an LED bulb on both ends of the halo which beams light across throughout the rest (middle) of it. (which is why when you look at it, the outsides are brighter than the inside portion of the halo, because it's just light from the outside bulbs beaming in towards the middle). So it's not like the dodge products where there are LED bulbs go all the way around it.

With that being said, I wonder if we could just leave the stock tail light LED bulbs alone and then tap into the hollow part of the HALO housing in the middle section and then afix additional LED bulbs that are connected to the brake/signal circuit to illuminate that housing when signalling and braking... does that make sense?

So basically just working the brake light bulbs into the LED HALO housing where it's empty.

Thoughts?

bill_de 03-14-2014 11:25 AM

While it might look cool to those of you interested in doing it, my guess is you won't get to enjoy it too often. You will have your friends stand behind your Jeep while you step on the brakes and they will say, wow man, way cool, how'd you do that.

But 99.9% of the time the folks who see it, those stopped behind you, won't notice it is different, and won't GARA. :)

If I was going to mod my Jeep it would have to be a performance mod, or something I could actually see while driving. Maybe one of these;

http://www.artstash.com/wp-content/u...nt-silver1.jpg

Or one of these;

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...AEi3cxH0rVimpw

:lol: :lol: :lol:

---

Jeff_H2O 03-14-2014 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 991456)
While it might look cool to those of you interested in doing it, my guess is you won't get to enjoy it too often. You will have your friends stand behind your Jeep while you step on the brakes and they will say, wow man, way cool, how'd you do that.

But 99.9% of the time the folks who see it, those stopped behind you, won't notice it is different, and won't GARA. :)

---

Lol you are probably right. Although, I do think there are plenty of people that will notice, the car fanatics. I know at night when driving and behind a car that brakes and or signals and the lights are LED flashing, I immediately think it's a High End vehicle (AUDI, Mercedes etc...) and grabs my attention. Something about the crisp light of LED's that is just attractive. Even when I see a Chrysler 200 with the LED's blinkers/tail lights it grabs my attention thinking it's something more expensive and then just notice it's only a Chrysler 200. But still, the fact that it got my attention was just cool.

I guess I was hoping we could achieve that as well with our LED tail lights. The structure/mold is already there, we just have to find a way to incorporate it in.

It's not something I lose sleep over trying to figure out, but just another cool mod that I'd be interested in doing if achieveable.

shaky1977 03-14-2014 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_H2O (Post 991454)

With that being said, I wonder if we could just leave the stock tail light LED bulbs alone and then tap into the hollow part of the HALO housing in the middle section and then afix additional LED bulbs that are connected to the brake/signal circuit to illuminate that housing when signalling and braking... does that make sense?

So basically just working the brake light bulbs into the LED HALO housing where it's empty.

Thoughts?

Hmm i see, that would require alot of work, i think those halos are built in/ part of the tail light assembly.

Not only high end cars/ even Kia has leds in almost every latest model vehicles. I just cant figure out, why and how jeep didnt come with LED bulbs for stop/signal. The regular bulbs are hardly be seen in direct sunlight. Right now i am using Triton V3's for brake/signal and they are much much better than regular bulbs, much brighter than stock.

The idea i came up with should not be too hard, just tap those outer part led wires into brake/turn/ground wires. I think those halo led have only 2 wires ground and running light, i'l have to splice + wire into 2 , one would tap into brake and other to turn signal. OR you can decide if you want outer led to work with only brake or turn or both. the only thing is that outer leds will stay off while driving at night. until you brake or signal.