Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Transmission is starting to get very annoying (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/transmission-is-starting-to-get-very-annoying-72799.html)

1quick1 03-14-2014 10:30 AM

Transmission is starting to get very annoying
 
Cruising down the road in 8th gear at 400rpm (sarcastic) the light ahead turns yellow. Seeing I have plenty of time to make it I apply a little more gas to go through the light but really not speeding up. Jeep then tries to accelerate in 8th gear. Okay give it a little more gas...down shifts to 7th at 600rpms and still no acceleration. Okay a little more gear, viciously downshifts to 2nd at 6500rpms (5 seconds later) and I'm now flying.

So obviously a gross exaggeration but this is how I feel lately with this thing. You're either in 8th gear at idle rpms and if you need to speed up just put your foot to the floor and wait for 4-5 seconds as it goes 7th? nope let's try 6th..nope..okay 5th? Nope ahhh fuk it downshift to 1st.

:slapfight:

shaky1977 03-14-2014 10:35 AM

Re: Transmission is starting to get very annoying
 
Sounds like ECO mode was ON. ?

bill_de 03-14-2014 10:38 AM

Re: Transmission is starting to get very annoying
 
I have found that immediately depressing the pedal about 1/2 way almost instantly drops 2 gears and I'm gone. Flooring it does have a delay for some reason.

Not sure if it would be the same with the V6, but worth a try. A little more gas at a time is no way to insure a vehicle will downshift.


---

Evolv0 03-14-2014 10:38 AM

Re: Transmission is starting to get very annoying
 
lmao I got a good laugh out of this .. though I don't seem to have this issue.

1quick1 03-14-2014 10:43 AM

Re: Transmission is starting to get very annoying
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by shaky1977 (Post 991425)
Sounds like ECO mode was ON. ?

It was, I can try it with it off and see how it does.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 991429)
I have found that immediately depressing the pedal about 1/2 way almost instantly drops 2 gears and I'm gone. Flooring it does have a delay for some reason.

Not sure if it would be the same with the V6, but worth a try. A little more gas at a time is no way to insure a vehicle will downshift.
---

Yea it just seems like it's unsure if it needs to downshift 1 gear or if I'm trying to drag race and when it finally decides it really doesn't matter anymore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evolv0 (Post 991430)
lmao I got a good laugh out of this .. though I don't seem to have this issue.

Lucky. But you also likely have a lot more low end torque.

Roger Ramjet 03-14-2014 11:11 AM

Re: Transmission is starting to get very annoying
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1quick1 (Post 991422)
Cruising down the road in 8th gear at 400rpm (sarcastic) the light ahead turns yellow. Seeing I have plenty of time to make it I apply a little more gas to go through the light but really not speeding up. Jeep then tries to accelerate in 8th gear. Okay give it a little more gas...down shifts to 7th at 600rpms and still no acceleration. Okay a little more gear, viciously downshifts to 2nd at 6500rpms (5 seconds later) and I'm now flying.

So obviously a gross exaggeration but this is how I feel lately with this thing. You're either in 8th gear at idle rpms and if you need to speed up just put your foot to the floor and wait for 4-5 seconds as it goes 7th? nope let's try 6th..nope..okay 5th? Nope ahhh fuk it downshift to 1st.

:slapfight:

You just perfectly described the reason I traded my 2012 3.6 (5 speed of course) on a 2014 V8. The 2014 3.6 with the 8 speed is much better than the 5 speed versions preceding it, but with the Hemi, I have seamless power whenever I ask for it.

Do you have the latest transmission software TSB installed?

1quick1 03-14-2014 11:56 AM

Re: Transmission is starting to get very annoying
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjet (Post 991446)
You just perfectly described the reason I traded my 2012 3.6 (5 speed of course) on a 2014 V8. The 2014 3.6 with the 8 speed is much better than the 5 speed versions preceding it, but with the Hemi, I have seamless power whenever I ask for it.

Do you have the latest transmission software TSB installed?

Wow, good thing I don't have the 5spd or else I probably would be frustrated. It does sound like I have a couple options. I'll try ECO mode off and hopefully that helps with city driving. The highway I don't have any complaints. Or 2nd option trade it in on a V8 lol.

And my vehicle was build 9/10/13 and I took delivery 9/28/13. I believe the TSB was applied but I'm not entirely sure.

macsesso 03-14-2014 01:11 PM

Re: Transmission is starting to get very annoying
 
Maybe I'm a little old fashioned but when the light turns yellow I prepare to stop rather than speed up.

2012 Summit 03-14-2014 03:01 PM

Re: Transmission is starting to get very annoying
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by macsesso (Post 991503)
Maybe I'm a little old fashioned but when the light turns yellow I prepare to stop rather than speed up.

Good comment.

bill_de 03-14-2014 03:32 PM

Re: Transmission is starting to get very annoying
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by macsesso (Post 991503)
Maybe I'm a little old fashioned but when the light turns yellow I prepare to stop rather than speed up.

It depends some on where you live. I moved to Delaware in '05, from Long Island. I came very close to rear ending cars in front of me on a number of occasions, because they hit the brakes while I was hitting the gas when the light turned yellow. I was used to three cars going through on the yellow, and two more on the red. All the greens were delayed at that time. After a year or so I got used to stopping.

Flash ahead a couple of years and I'm back on Long Island for a funeral. I'm driving down Long Beach Road, the light turned yellow, I hit the brakes ... at least 4 car behind me laid on their horns. I hit the gas and watched in my mirror as six more cars followed me through the intersection.

When in Rome ... ;)


---

macsesso 03-14-2014 05:27 PM

Re: Transmission is starting to get very annoying
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 991552)
It depends some on where you live. I moved to Delaware in '05, from Long Island. I came very close to rear ending cars in front of me on a number of occasions, because they hit the brakes while I was hitting the gas when the light turned yellow. I was used to three cars going through on the yellow, and two more on the red. All the greens were delayed at that time. After a year or so I got used to stopping.

Flash ahead a couple of years and I'm back on Long Island for a funeral. I'm driving down Long Beach Road, the light turned yellow, I hit the brakes ... at least 4 car behind me laid on their horns. I hit the gas and watched in my mirror as six more cars followed me through the intersection.

When in Rome ... ;)


---

I'm not trying to argue with you or start a discussion but anyone involved in law or driving instruction will tell you that a yellow light is not a signal to speed up.
I have lived on Long Island for the past 35 years and never had a problem stopping at yellow. Of course I check my mirror first before stopping on yellow because all those Romans can be dangerous.
Then again red light cameras are the great equalizers. There are many of them in Nassau and Suffolk.

BTW on a recent trip to China several guides said that traffic lights here are merely a suggestion. When the light turned green everybody, including pedestrians mopeds and motorized bikes in each direction started moving. Very scary.

mswlogo 03-14-2014 05:42 PM

Re: Transmission is starting to get very annoying
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1quick1 (Post 991422)
Cruising down the road in 8th gear at 400rpm (sarcastic) the light ahead turns yellow. Seeing I have plenty of time to make it I apply a little more gas to go through the light but really not speeding up. Jeep then tries to accelerate in 8th gear. Okay give it a little more gas...down shifts to 7th at 600rpms and still no acceleration. Okay a little more gear, viciously downshifts to 2nd at 6500rpms (5 seconds later) and I'm now flying.

So obviously a gross exaggeration but this is how I feel lately with this thing. You're either in 8th gear at idle rpms and if you need to speed up just put your foot to the floor and wait for 4-5 seconds as it goes 7th? nope let's try 6th..nope..okay 5th? Nope ahhh fuk it downshift to 1st.

:slapfight:

You need the latest Transmission TSB "REVC".
If your dealer said it was done. Check again.

That is EXACTLY what mine used to do and it even caused a small accident within first 3 days in that exact situation where you have plenty of time to goose it through a yellow light. Well, yeah it did. At 6500 RPM in 1st gear and someone decided to turn in front of me. I had so much torque built up that I DIDN'T need or want I could not stop in time. I also was not used to emergency stopping distance. If it was just a proper goose (like 1 or 2 gears down) I could have stopped fine. I didn't. It could have been very bad. But I only crack that chrome trim on the bottom.

This problem is fixed, even in ECO mode. In fact I NEVER take it out of ECO mode now. It will instantly do small downshifts, like it should.

One trick that I developed until it was fixed was double pumping the gas pedal. Press it, back off and press again and it would down shift more appropriately.

The TSB you need didn't exist at the time you picked it up. It was not released until December 2013.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community