Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Picking up a brand new 14, need opinions! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/picking-up-a-brand-new-14-need-opinions-72802.html)

Deception 03-14-2014 12:06 PM

Picking up a brand new 14, need opinions!

Hey everyone, I have decided to trade in our 11 Durango Citadel for a 14 WK2 Summit and needed some input. The car is going for 48,989 before tax (55,885 MSRP) after employee discount and a 2,800 dealer discount. I've read that the Summit isn't worth the price compared to the Overland, any input on this? Also, I'm torn on color, I currently own a 2011 Summit in Black which I'm keeping so I was either leaning towards Granite or White, the Durango was white so I was leaning towards Granite. Thanks for your input guys :thumbsup:

Roger Ramjet 03-14-2014 12:10 PM

Re: Picking up a brand new 14, need opinions!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deception (Post 991472)
Hey everyone, I have decided to trade in our 11 Durango Citadel for a 14 WK2 Summit and needed some input. The car is going for 48,989 before tax (55,885 MSRP) after employee discount and a 2,800 dealer discount. I've read that the Summit isn't worth the price compared to the Overland, any input on this? Also, I'm torn on color, I currently own a 2011 Summit in Black which I'm keeping so I was either leaning towards Granite or White, the Durango was white so I was leaning towards Granite. Thanks for your input guys :thumbsup:

The Summit didn't offer enough extra to justify the price difference to me, so I got the Overland (in Granite). Couldn't be happier!

Deception 03-14-2014 12:19 PM

Picking up a brand new 14, need opinions!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjet (Post 991475)
The Summit didn't offer enough extra to justify the price difference to me, so I got the Overland (in Granite). Couldn't be happier!

True, I like the front end and interior on the Summits but to each his own. But glad I'm not the only one siding with the Granite lol

bill_de 03-14-2014 12:22 PM

Some think the Summit isn't worth the additional price over the Overland.

Some think the Overland isn't worth the additional price over the Limited.

Some think the Limited isn't worth the additional price over the Laredo.

And some people by Hyundai.

It's your wallet, so only you can decide the worth. I decided against the Summit, not because of $$$, but because I couldn't get it with an off road package. The upgraded radio would have been nice, and I'm old enough to appreciate more chrome. :)

I went with the Overland over the limited for 2 reasons. I like the leather dash with the stitching in the Overland, plus there was quite a time before you could order a Limited with the luxury package.

As for color, I get something other than white ... every third car. Prior to my JGC I had a white MDX and a white Liberty Limited. So white will be the choice for my next vehicle. The Jeep 'bright white' is really impressive.

That's my 2, which to most folks is worth about 1. ;)

---

Deception 03-14-2014 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 991484)
Some think the Summit isn't worth the additional price over the Overland.

Some think the Overland isn't worth the additional price over the Limited.

Some think the Limited isn't worth the additional price over the Laredo.

And some people by Hyundai.

It's your wallet, so only you can decide the worth. I decided against the Summit, not because of $$$, but because I couldn't get it with an off road package. The upgraded radio would have been nice, and I'm old enough to appreciate more chrome. :)

I went with the Overland over the limited for 2 reasons. I like the leather dash with the stitching in the Overland, plus there was quite a time before you could order a Limited with the luxury package.

As for color, I get something other than white ... every third car. Prior to my JGC I had a white MDX and a white Liberty Limited. So white will be the choice for my next vehicle. The Jeep 'bright white' is really impressive.

That's my 2, which to most folks is worth about 1. ;)

---

Thanks Bill, I'm not a fan of the Overland lower fascia but do like the uniform color matching instead of the black plastic on other trims. I kind of wanted to switch my color selection up, but your post is making me change my mind ;)

GCLimited 03-14-2014 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deception (Post 991487)

I'm not a fan of the Overland lower fascia but do like the uniform color matching instead of the black plastic on other trims.

Just the opposite for me. I don't like the Summit's lower fascia because it lacks the chrome tow hooks. I'm also not a fan of the style of the 20" wheels the Summit has. We seem to agree on the color though!

The one thing that I noticed about my new Overland that I don't like is the white stiching on the leather covered dashboard...it reflects onto the front windshield right at my line of sight.

:mad:

mxmumtuna 03-14-2014 12:46 PM

Basically you have different interior color options plus the HK stereo and adaptive headlights.

For me, the HK and and adaptive headlights were worth the cost difference. May not be to others. To each their own! Either way, I'm sure you'll love your new GC.

silvermax04 03-14-2014 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deception (Post 991472)

Id say it depends on what you are looking for in your Jeep the upgraded HK stereo was a big selling point for me as you cant get that in the overland. As well as I like the look of the summit better. I was deciding between granite and black, granite is nice but decided it had a little too much brown in it for me and went for black. Black isn't really black anyway it is more of a metallic charcoal. White definitely also looks good in the summit. Summit has a little more chrome then id like but overland does also its just in different places. Your price is good. I paid 48700 plus tax for the V8 summit a year ago back when the price for the same thing was lower at 54880 MRSP. I bought mine as part of the DC group buy and that price was probably one of the best anywhere at the time. So you are paying about the same price as I did but you have an increased price on the sticker. advantage also with that higher sticker and later build is your ACC will have the STOP function early models like mine did not. You will also avoid about half a dozen various software updates and another half dozen radio up dates, though the radio updates will be on going. They have got most of the bugs worked out of it now. Although I'm not sure about the erratic HVAC heat problem that so many are struggling with now. That's the only thing worth mentioning that I still have that is unresolved. I would hope that the issue has been around enough that the new ones rolling off the line today don't have that issue. If you are buying off the lot check the build dates and get the latest one that you can. Hope that helps :thumbsup: and also the fortera tires that come on any of the jeeps with the 20" wheels are crap make that one of the first things you change or negotiate different tires in with your deal.

bill_de 03-14-2014 12:50 PM

I think most of us had the initial reaction to the stitching reflecting in the windshield. After a short time your eyes ignore it and automatically focus further out. The same thing happens with a heads up display in the windshield.

---

Jim_in_PA 03-14-2014 01:45 PM

I'd personally go with the Summit because that trim level reflects my needs and desires more than the Overland relative to the MY14. Note that for your MY11 Summit (and my MY12 Summit) there was only feature adds over the Overland for the Overland Summit. For MY14, the Summit is a separate trim level with different body contours front and back. It's also not available from the factory with any kind of off-road specific goodies, although you can add some after the fact yourself. (Skid plates, different tires/wheels)

I can't help you with the color...I don't do dark colors. Ever.

PhillyAnt 03-14-2014 04:59 PM

I ordered the Summit with the hemi. I don't have it yet. Hopefully in a few weeks. I think the extra money for the Summit is well worth it. I love the entire look of the body. The extra chrome makes it look really nice. I wasn't a fan of the wheels at first but they grew on me. I wanted the updated sound system and the front park sensors. You can't get them on any other model. If they were an option on the Overland I would have ordered one of them instead. I wish the Summit had the front hooks on it too. As for the color, it was between the white and the granite for me. They both look incredible but I think the granite looks much better with all the chrome. It makes everything pop out more.

Dealer is selling the Summit with the hemi to me for $49,395 plus tax/tags. I could have went to DC for the group buy and saved about $700 but I decided to stay local so that I wouldn't have any issues when it came to servicing my vehicle.

Deception 03-14-2014 07:54 PM

Are these prices including employee pricing? What I'm getting is a 4x4 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit with V8 and technology package discounted to 48,989 before tax with employee pricing.