Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/)
-   -   Viration/grinding in steering (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/viration-grinding-in-steering-72845.html)

MidwestJeepguy81 03-15-2014 11:30 AM

Viration/grinding in steering

Lately I've been noticing a vibration/grinding sensation in my steering. It's really noticeable when turning the wheel to the left and while it straightens back out. The power steering fluid level is good. I checked that a few days ago. I have a repair manual for my model but don't know where to look. I'm starting to wonder if it's got to do with bearings, tie rods, suspension, etc. I have a '04 GC Overland 4.7L V8 if that helps.

Frango100 03-15-2014 01:05 PM

Re: Viration/grinding in steering

Does it feel any different when you steer slowly compared to faster?
No noises from the power steering pump?
You didn't change to bigger tires, which could cause tire rub?
I would have a look under the jeep for anything obvious. Problem could eventually be with a steering column bearing or inside the steering gearbox.

MidwestJeepguy81 03-15-2014 01:36 PM

I haven't noticed a difference in steering speeds really. No noise from the PS pump that I've heard. Haven't changed tires since I've owned it either. Tread is still pretty decent on them. Would it be a difficult fix if it were the steering column bearings or gearbox? I shudder to even think of what a dealership or service center would charge me to look at and fix it.

Frango100 03-15-2014 02:12 PM

I didn't see any repair possibility for the steering column bearings sofar, but also never heard of failing bearings on this forum.
The steering gearbox normally gets some internal play, which makes the steering sloppy (its like this on my jeep), but also not heard yet of grinding coming from there.
I don't know if you are handy and can do some trouble shooting, or will have to take it in for inspection?

MidwestJeepguy81 03-15-2014 02:31 PM

I guess It depends on what it is as far as me being handy. The previous owner that I bought it from mentioned something about lubricating or greasing something in the steering or 4WD system. My in-laws also mentioned a possibility with the rack and pinion and the universal joints?

Frango100 03-15-2014 02:52 PM

You could try and lubricate the upper ball joints, they have a lub fitting on them and should be lubbed at frequent intervals. Rack and pinion is the steering gearbox. There can be universal joints in the drive shafts, or CV joints, but won't expect them to cause vibration in the steering wheel.

MidwestJeepguy81 03-15-2014 03:05 PM

Okay I'll try lubricating the ball joints. Hopefully that'll be an easy/cheap fix.

Frango100 03-15-2014 03:33 PM

Only the upper ball joints can be greased, the lowers don't have a nipple.
Since there is a grease nipple on the uppers, you will need a grease gun to get the grease in.

MidwestJeepguy81 03-26-2014 08:53 PM

I've greased the upper ball joints and added differential fluid(limited slip) to the front differential, which was unusually low. Now that I think about it Frango, steering speeds do make a difference and I notice the grinding/chaffing when I steer slowly when making a slow sharp turn or pulling into a parking spot.