Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2014+ Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel 3.0 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f222/)
-   -   Convince me as to why I want a diesel (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f222/convince-me-as-to-why-i-want-a-diesel-73000.html)

jeepgrady 03-19-2014 11:26 AM

Convince me as to why I want a diesel

Been thinking of trading my '12 for a '14 Summit. I noticed that my dealer has a few with the diesel option. I don't two anything. Why would I want the diesel? While I know that the mileage in the diesel is better, spending an extra $5000. and then 80-90 cents per gallon extra just to get 4 mpg is ridiculous imho.

I always thought of a diesel in a heavy duty truck like maybe a 2500 or 3500 pickup. Why would anyone want one in a GC?

I'm not just trying to start a flame. Maybe I'm missing something.

lstowell 03-19-2014 11:53 AM

Re: Convince me as to why I want a diesel

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepgrady (Post 994166)
Been thinking of trading my '12 for a '14 Summit. I noticed that my dealer has a few with the diesel option. I don't two anything. Why would I want the diesel? While I know that the mileage in the diesel is better, spending an extra $5000. and then 80-90 cents per gallon extra just to get 4 mpg is ridiculous imho.

I always thought of a diesel in a heavy duty truck like maybe a 2500 or 3500 pickup. Why would anyone want one in a GC?

I'm not just trying to start a flame. Maybe I'm missing something.

You want towing power

You want low RPM torque even if that means giving up sheer power output to the Hemi at higher speeds

You want an engine that probably will outlast the chassis

You have extra money and are on a first name basis with Gale Banks

You want to have to refill the Urea dispenser so it doesn't go into limp mode

You like hanging around with truck drivers a la Hank Hill

bill_de 03-19-2014 11:59 AM

Grady,

Based on your post, the only reason for you to get a diesel is because, these days, it is the fashionable thing to do. :)

---

2014RedHemiGC 03-19-2014 12:12 PM

You can't beat a diesel for low rpm torque combined with decent mpg's and towing ability and usually longevity. Since I don't tow and the price difference is about 70 cents per gallon here, it wasn't for me. However, I'm glad it's offered as an optional drivetrain.

Vtail 03-19-2014 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2014RedHemiGC (Post 994196)
You can't beat a diesel for low rpm torque combined with decent mpg's and towing ability and usually longevity. Since I don't tow and the price difference is about 70 cents per gallon here, it wasn't for me. However, I'm glad it's offered as an optional drivetrain.

I got 25mpg on my last tank driving around town in mixed traffic. Better mileage is just one reason I got the diesel. I didn't know if I would do much towing, but now that I have it I am. Last week I rented a trailer and made a 300 mile round trip to pick up a (diesel) tractor. Even on that trip I got 24mpg and hardly knew I was pulling anything. We are also renting a 29' camping trailer to pull behind my Summit for a couple trips this summer. I don't think I'd try pulling that with the V6. My buddy has the hemi which pulls his trailer fine, but I've got more torque and nearly 50% better economy. So it is probably better to compare the diesel to the hemi, it is less than a $2000 difference if I recall. The diesel is also more environmentally friendly, which is important to me. Better resale is another reason, but I'm planning on keeping this a loonnngggg time. The premium for the diesel engine isn't much per year if you keep it 10 years. Those are my reasons and experiences. I'd make the same decision again.

1Zach1 03-19-2014 12:24 PM

I wanted one. That's all the justification I needed.

suzieque 03-19-2014 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lstowell (Post 994177)
You want towing power

You want low RPM torque even if that means giving up sheer power output to the Hemi at higher speeds

You want an engine that probably will outlast the chassis

You have extra money and are on a first name basis with Gale Banks

You want to have to refill the Urea dispenser so it doesn't go into limp mode

You like hanging around with truck drivers a la Hank Hill

Adding 4 more reasons to the above top 6 to make a total of 10 reasons!

You want to complain about DPF regen process or frequency.

You enjoy owning a vehicle that only a few dealers know how to repair or troubleshoot.

You enjoy high repair bills when warranty is up.

You take pleasure in seeing diesel fuel spilled on your vehicle and fuel pump handle.

Don't get me wrong, I do not regret the CRD purchase I made, but you need to do the research. :)

lstowell 03-19-2014 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Zach1 (Post 994202)

And that is the best justification of all!

I wanted one too, but they weren't available at the time, and the dealer got really nice on a V8 Overland with the kitchen sink.

fun2drive 03-19-2014 12:56 PM

Diesel option is about 4005 bucks more if you are buying smart. Hemi is what 2600 more not sure what invoice is.
Fuel prices here are equal with high test. You mean to tell me you run regular with a Hemi? Uh huh.

You either get it with a diesel or not. If the JGC didn't have this diesel option I would have bought another Outback as the room inside is the same.

I bought the diesel for three reasons:
I keep my vehicles a long time 12 years or more
I like the 27.5 mpg I get my my diesel
I need the range of around 600 miles

Both places I live have diesel available at about 1 out of 3 stations so for me it isn't an issue. Never been to a truck stop with this diesel yet.

If you don't have need for the diesel regarding towing, range and fuel economy and are a person that trades or sells cars when they are 4-5 years old at 100K miles or less the diesel makes no sense.

I love the Hemi sound and power but the fuel mileage stinks. The 3.6 isn't a bad engine at all but it doesn't actually get up and go like either the diesel or the Hemi. If you can live with the 3.6L engine it isn't a bad way to go at all...

crabman 03-19-2014 01:16 PM

The regen has never bothered me, with the advent of the diesel pickup the dealers will soon be quite familiar with the maintenance and repairs, I have no idea where you are getting high repair costs from because no diesel I have ever owned has had higher repair costs than their gas counterparts. They have all been less.

As to why someone should get one, there are several reasons but here IMO are the primary reasons why someone might be wanting to take one for a test drive.

They want it just because. Yeah, some folks like diesels for the way they drive and this in my experience is best in heavy vehicles like the GC, light trucks, etc. which play most to a diesels strength.

You're going to use the vehicle to tow. Ask anyone who has towed with both gas and diesel and I think you will find a clear consensus as to which does it better.

You like the feel of a V8 but don't like paying the piper at the pump. While the diesel GC will not produce the numbers of the Hemi it does give a satisfying feel of locomotive like thrust that is nice to have under your right foot.

As to return on investment a prospective buyer should be looking at real data and comparing actual cars and their all in costs.

For me when getting a summit the diesel was only a 1305 dollar increase over the hemi I would have otherwise purchased. I'll easily get my money back and then some based on actual costs. This wouldn't have been true if I was going to get the pentastar but that was never an option for me as I tow.

When you're looking at those actual costs you need to consider the way you drive and then look at real numbers and make an honest estimate of where you are going to fall in that spread. If you're the type that drives with the hammer down its silly to compare your numbers to those of people who are super adept at going for the hyper mileage. As to where you get those numbers there are a number of phone apps that track and now (can) report real numbers from the pump and these can be seen online. I think you will find that the average pentastar owner is facing a larger than 4 mpg gap when real mileage is used.

This is the only post I'm going to make here, these threads have a tendency to degenerate into a worthless mass of fanboys trying to sell their agenda. Plus I've been told I'm too hardcore and need to let go. Whatever you do first test drive a diesel and see if you like it or not. Then look at the money using real figures. I'm doubtful based on your description that you can make a money case for the diesel, you're going to have to want it. Drive one and I think you just may be surprised to find that you do.

Brainstormer 03-19-2014 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Zach1 (Post 994202)

ME TOO ! :lol:

GunnySpook 03-19-2014 03:57 PM

Add me to the list of "wanting one".

Now, if Jeep develops a new "Comanche pickup" with the 3.0 diesel, I am going to be in a real quandary! :)