Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Would you make the dealer replace the seat? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/would-you-make-the-dealer-replace-the-seat-73088.html)

GoHerd 03-21-2014 03:09 PM

Would you make the dealer replace the seat?

Traded 2014 3.6 Limited for a CRD. This one has the Lux II package which includes the ventilated Nappa leather seats (sorry, no Corinthian leather available yet).

So the passenger seat has a somewhat large indention on the inside front cushion. Looked at a half dozen or so other Grand Cherokees with the same leather package and they also have similarly shaped indentions, but only about half as deep as this one. This one has a noticeable void underneath it and even though nobody has been in the seat for more than a few minutes, the leather is already creasing in that space due to no support underneath.

See:

http://s27.postimg.org/z8hfmnuir/seat.jpg

Dealer said yesterday that the Chrysler rep will repair it by sending it to an upholsterer. I just bought this two weeks ago and have concerns about an upholsterer just stuffing some extra pad underneath there. These are heated and vented seats.

Would you bother getting it repaired? Demand a replacement?

It's always gonna be visible so it'll bother me if I don't address it. It never should have left the supplier or assembly line like this. When I pay for something new, I expect it to be new, not repaired. Still waiting on a fix on the GPS in instrument cluster, as well.

But I'm wondering if I'm just being too picky.

bill_de 03-21-2014 03:22 PM

Re: Would you make the dealer replace the seat?

As long as Jeep has acknowledged it, I would wait and see what happens after a couple of weeks of hot weather. I had something like that in one seat, and in the driver's armrest. Both disappeared during the summer.

_ _ _

lstowell 03-21-2014 03:25 PM

I would certainly have a chat with them about it.
If your missus is meaner than you are, good cop, bad cop, also works.

pensfan414 03-21-2014 04:21 PM

Don't look too hard or you'll find a host of little, similar imperfections that will drive you nuts. All thanks to Chrysler's dogsh*t quality control.

GoHerd 03-21-2014 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pensfan414 (Post 995597)
Don't look too hard or you'll find a host of little, similar imperfections that will drive you nuts. All thanks to Chrysler's dogsh*t quality control.

No kidding -- the little access door that opens to the multimedia inputs in front of the gearshift is crooked and that bothers me, but I'm letting it go because virtually all of them are. Dealer said they could "shimmy" it. Nice.

Paint already coming off the right muffler. It's a muffler and paint, I know. But geesh.

Love the Jeep. Love the diesel. But Chrysler quirks still coming through.

Qmulus 03-21-2014 07:52 PM

If that seat were the only imperfection in my GC, I would be elated!. My guess is that "dent" will come out once you leave it out in the sun, or have passengers sit on it for a while.

My advice; don't look too close...

Marlon_JB2 03-21-2014 07:56 PM

If it was me, I wouldn't bother.

Nor would I worry about anything else in this thread.

mswlogo 03-21-2014 08:00 PM

I'd give it time too.

Also a good upholster can do miracles.
You risk more issues replacing whole seat, matching leather etc.

Dan JGC 03-21-2014 10:58 PM

It the leather loose of just indented due the foam underneath not being positioned totally correct?

When the 2011 Summits first came out....and perhaps on some of the Saddle Overlands, some of the Saddle perforated seat bottoms were loose......very very loose. That was the only issue with mine and the dealer took photos and Jeep agreed it wasn't right and replaced the bottom seat leather cover (not an easy task as had to leave the Jeep and they gave me a loaner). I'm glad they were attentive to this seat cover defect.

Your seat issue looks minor and may work it's way out in use and hot weather as others have indicated. I'd let the upholsterer have a shot at it if it is an issue for you. I bet that will solve any concerns.

pensfan414 03-22-2014 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlon_JB2 (Post 995692)
If it was me, I wouldn't bother. Nor would I worry about anything else in this thread.

I would worry, it's my vehicle and my money, I can do as I please. I'm also worried that apparently those at Chrysler don't give a damn about these issues.

2014GC 03-22-2014 07:28 AM

Had the same problem with mine. It won't go away. You have an air pocket or bubble in the foam seat cushion. They can and should replace the seat cushion. The cover comes off easily and can be swapped. The dealer will probably send it out to a trim shop. Mine was on the drivers seat.

not_too_shabby 03-22-2014 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2014GC (Post 995871)
Had the same problem with mine. It won't go away. You have an air pocket or bubble in the foam seat cushion. They can and should replace the seat cushion. The cover comes off easily and can be swapped. The dealer will probably send it out to a trim shop. Mine was on the drivers seat.

Both my front seats have this issue. My butt feels like its in a hole on the drivers seat. Interesting about the air pocket in the foam. I may have the dealer check it out although I am afraid if all the electronics in the seat getting jacked up.