Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   Factory Tow Package vs Aftermarket Towing Equipment (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/factory-tow-package-vs-aftermarket-towing-equipment-73109.html)

Dirtsaver 03-22-2014 11:56 AM

Factory Tow Package vs Aftermarket Towing Equipment
 
My 2012 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi did not come with the factory towing package. I am having the local Jeep dealer install OEM towing hitch and wiring for a brake controller. What will I not have that is included in the factory tow package. Transmission cooler? Larger radiator? Any other mechanical upgrades needed?

Thanks for any input on this.

bill_de 03-22-2014 11:58 AM

Re: Factory Tow Package vs Aftermarket Towing Equipment
 
Load leveling shocks?


---

Jim_in_PA 03-22-2014 12:10 PM

Re: Factory Tow Package vs Aftermarket Towing Equipment
 
Yes, you will not have any added cooling, additional alternator capacity nor the load-leveling shocks. Also, your towing limit will be 5000 lbs, rather than 7200 lbs. But doing the OEM hitch receiver is absolutely the way to go as it has a fully integrated look and is actually a very high quality arrangement.

PrimoJeep 03-22-2014 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirtsaver (Post 995952)
My 2012 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi did not come with the factory towing package. I am having the local Jeep dealer install OEM towing hitch and wiring for a brake controller. What will I not have that is included in the factory tow package. Transmission cooler? Larger radiator? Any other mechanical upgrades needed? Thanks for any input on this.

what's the price of the hitch and labor from the dealer if you don't mind me asking? I also didn't have a hitch when I bought the car but looking to add the OEM hitch. Thanks!

Dirtsaver 03-22-2014 12:22 PM

Re: Factory Tow Package vs Aftermarket Towing Equipment
 
Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking of having a transmission cooler added. Will that be worthwhile?

Will the load leveling hitch make up for lack of the load leveling shocks?

Dirtsaver 03-22-2014 05:12 PM

Re: Factory Tow Package vs Aftermarket Towing Equipment
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PrimoJeep (Post 995962)
what's the price of the hitch and labor from the dealer if you don't mind me asking? I also didn't have a hitch when I bought the car but looking to add the OEM hitch. Thanks!

I am having the install done on Monday so I'm not sure what the total cost will be. I was told that making the cutout for the hitch in the bumper and installing the bezel will take some shop time and also running the wires and installing the trailer brake controller will take some time. I'm estimating it will be close to $1,000 by the time they get done.

Dave in Pa 03-23-2014 03:57 PM

Re: Factory Tow Package vs Aftermarket Towing Equipment
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirtsaver (Post 996059)
I am having the install done on Monday so I'm not sure what the total cost will be. I was told that making the cutout for the hitch in the bumper and installing the bezel will take some shop time and also running the wires and installing the trailer brake controller will take some time. I'm estimating it will be close to $1,000 by the time they get done.

Hi Dirtsaver: One thing you might check; most vehicles have the wiring installed all the way to the hitch area EVEN if no factory hitch is ordered. If that is the case on the GC then the shop only has to put the receptacles at the back; and under the dash the hook-up should also be there for a brake controller (pigtail required). If so, much less labor involved; hope I am right! Let us know how it goes! Dave

Dirtsaver 03-24-2014 09:30 PM

Re: Factory Tow Package vs Aftermarket Towing Equipment
 
I picked up my Jeep this afternoon and the dealer did a first class installation of the hitch receiver, trailer plug wiring and brake controller. It is all OEM Mopar equipment including the brake controller and it looks factory. As Dave in PA mentioned, the wiring for the brake controller and trailer hookup were already there. They just had to plug in the new parts. All together with tax it was just under $650.

We bought a Lance travel trailer on Saturday and now we are just waiting for it to be built and delivered. I can't wait to try out towing my new trailer with the GC.

Dave in Pa 03-25-2014 03:57 PM

Re: Factory Tow Package vs Aftermarket Towing Equipment
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirtsaver (Post 997237)
I picked up my Jeep this afternoon and the dealer did a first class installation of the hitch receiver, trailer plug wiring and brake controller. It is all OEM Mopar equipment including the brake controller and it looks factory. As Dave in PA mentioned, the wiring for the brake controller and trailer hookup were already there. They just had to plug in the new parts. All together with tax it was just under $650.

We bought a Lance travel trailer on Saturday and now we are just waiting for it to be built and delivered. I can't wait to try out towing my new trailer with the GC.

:thumbsup: I think that was a reasonable price for being done at a dealership; any issues and they should stand behind it also. So what is the gross weight of the Lance Trailer that you have purchased? I have been towing a 21 foot boat with my V-6, not sure the weight (I'll check) but it is not a problem for the Jeep. Dave

Dirtsaver 03-25-2014 08:50 PM

Re: Factory Tow Package vs Aftermarket Towing Equipment
 
The dry weight of the Lance 2285 is listed as 4,150 pounds. I don't know what the actual towing weight will be but water and beverages weigh something.

racer-xerols 03-25-2014 10:16 PM

Re: Factory Tow Package vs Aftermarket Towing Equipment
 
No sense carrying water - there's always a hose where you're going, save 8.33 lb/gal in tow weight and tow dry.

MAKE SURE the receiver is rated for a weight distributing hitch setup. I can't recall off the top of my head. But if it says it isn't designed for WD...DO NOT USE weight distribution. You will twist expensive, important pieces of your Jeep if you use it and it is not designed for it.

Trans cooler is definitely worth it. NEVER tow in overdrive / top gear. Use regular ol' Drive (or "tow/haul" if there's a button for it), especially if it is hunting back and forth, up and down. Hunting = heat. Heat = dead transmission.

And food for thought (from a guy who sells RV's for a living) - "dry weight" does not include LP or LP tanks, or a deep cycle battery. Add about 100 lbs for those. That puts you at 4,250 for shell, frame, suspension, furniture, appliances, battery, and LP. Not a lot of room (750 lbs) before you hit the weight rating of an aftermarket (not factory installed) receiver setup.

Pack lightly.

Jim_in_PA 03-26-2014 08:50 AM

Re: Factory Tow Package vs Aftermarket Towing Equipment
 
WDH is no issue for JGC OEM hitch receiver. They actually "require" it for loads over a certain weight limit.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community