Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/)
-   -   Rear upper A arm bushings (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/rear-upper-a-arm-bushings-73160.html)

TJXJWJ 03-23-2014 08:31 PM

Rear upper A arm bushings

Yep, so the outer bushings have seen better days. Has anyone replaced the outer bushings? What's involved? Do I HAVE to remove the entire assembly to do this?

Frango100 03-23-2014 10:19 PM

Re: Rear upper A arm bushings

Yes, i did replace these bushings on my Jeep. You will have to remove the complete A-arm to be able to change the bushings. Go for Dorman and avoid Omix-Ada. I changed mine first with omix-Ada, which lasted for 1 month/1000 Km. Really completely shot after that one single month. The Dormans are far better quality and are going strong.
You could buy a complete A-arm, like Aaron (01grand) did, but it seems to be from Omix-Ada.

TJXJWJ 03-24-2014 06:51 AM

I've heard dirty rumors about the Omix ones being horrible.

So do you need a press to get the new ones into place? I think I got Aaron'ed because I replaced the entire unit with a new Omix one probably 2 years ago and here I am now with bad bushings.

Frango100 03-24-2014 07:12 AM

The first time i did use a hydraulic press, but the second time i just used a vise. The secret is to press it gradually around the circumference so that it will not bind. You also have to take note of the position of the old bushing before pressing it out, so that the new bushing will be in the same position.

TJXJWJ 03-24-2014 07:26 AM

What a pain in the azz....Thanks for the guidance dude. Looks like step one is ordering some new ones. Step 2 will be watching them sit on my workbench for a few weeks until I get tired of looking at them and actually try to install.

Hopefully getting those top few bolts off on that upper ball joint isn't friggin impossible. I tried it once and failed miserably. Maybe since it's been replaced once already, I'll be able to get them to turn.

Frango100 03-24-2014 08:41 AM

When you put the rear of the jeep on stands, you get quite some more space to work. Originally the three bolts from the ball joint have thread lock on them, making it hard to turn even when enough space is available. When i remember well i used a box wrench on them, turning them bit by bit.

TJXJWJ 03-24-2014 11:31 AM

So if Omix are no good, and Crown are garbage (which is what I have in there now and were new in 2011), that leaves (to my knowledge) Dorman, Moog, and Mopar. I'm fairly certain Mopar and Moog are one in the same. Anyone out there running new OE bushings for any period of time. I'm really trying to make this the last time I touch this friggin A-arm. I'd gladly upgrade the whole assembly, but there doesn't appear to be much out there. I like this thing, but it calls for a 2+" lift, which I do not have.

IRON ROCK OFF ROAD: WJ Adjustable A-Arm - Short

I wonder if there would be any adverse affects from running something like this without a lift.

Trav1s 03-24-2014 11:31 AM

I wonder if picking up an extra a-arm at the local pick-n-pull and rebuilding it to swap in might be a good choice. I am afraid these need replaced on my WJ.

01grand 03-24-2014 11:34 AM

You wish you could get "aaron'ed" :eek::eek::eek:

From what it's worth my a-arm from Omix has held up just fine for 2 years now, but I did have the same problem where the replacement bushings lasted about a month on the first go around. A press does make removal and installation much easier, as the a-arm is fairly thick and there is a gap in between the 2 sides of the arm. Definitely avoid Omix-ada though, I haven't been impressed with what few parts I've gotten from them.

Also, I've found if you remove the 2 outer bolts, then jack up the rear frame you get all sorts of room to work on removing that rear ball joint. Still not enough but more than you get sitting on the springs.:lol: Like Frank said a good box end wrench should do the trick. unfortunately no room for an impact gun.

TJXJWJ 03-24-2014 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trav1s (Post 996865)
I wonder if picking up an extra a-arm at the local pick-n-pull and rebuilding it to swap in might be a good choice. I am afraid these need replaced on my WJ.

Probably not dude. Not only are these a royal PITA to get removed, but I installed an entirely new arm with all new bushings pre-mounted, and am looking at replacement already again 3 years later. I can't imagine a used one holding up any longer.

TJXJWJ 03-24-2014 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01grand (Post 996869)

From what it's worth my a-arm from Omix has held up just fine for 2 years now, but I did have the same problem where the replacement bushings lasted about a month on the first go around. A press does make removal and installation much easier, as the a-arm is fairly thick and there is a gap in between the 2 sides of the arm. Definitely avoid Omix-ada though, I haven't been impressed with what few parts I've gotten from them.

Also, I've found if you remove the 2 outer bolts, then jack up the rear frame you get all sorts of room to work on removing that rear ball joint. Still not enough but more than you get sitting on the springs.:lol: Like Frank said a good box end wrench should do the trick. unfortunately no room for an impact gun.

Seems like you and I swap suspension noises regularly. This is getting old!

cheapjeep 03-26-2014 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJXJWJ (Post 996864)
So if Omix are no good, and Crown are garbage (which is what I have in there now and were new in 2011), that leaves (to my knowledge) Dorman, Moog, and Mopar. I'm fairly certain Mopar and Moog are one in the same. Anyone out there running new OE bushings for any period of time. I'm really trying to make this the last time I touch this friggin A-arm. I'd gladly upgrade the whole assembly, but there doesn't appear to be much out there. I like this thing, but it calls for a 2+" lift, which I do not have.

IRON ROCK OFF ROAD: WJ Adjustable A-Arm - Short

I wonder if there would be any adverse affects from running something like this without a lift.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01grand (Post 996869)

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJXJWJ (Post 996879)
Seems like you and I swap suspension noises regularly. This is getting old!

Ahh,..........the good old days. Yeah Tony that A arm would work if you swapped out those sissy "starfish wheels" and "o rings" for some man springs,wheels and tires.:slapfight::lol::lol::lol: C'mon buddy I know you still remember how. Seriously though bro that arm is probably gonna change your pinion angle some. Probably not a lot shortened up the whole way. I'd give them a call and see what they think because that's a way better system. They don't strike me as the kind of company that would bs ya just for a sale. I just noticed that I too have been Aaronized with his inferior parts line from Rock Auto. I looked at the boxes of parts I ordered last year and seen that the upper control arm bushings for the front diff are Omix. Not sure if I'm gonna use them now. Hopefully somebody makes a polly bushing for them because if not those will be the only rubber in the whole suspension. From what I hear changing those isn't a job you want to do twice.