Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - ZJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f78/)
-   -   ZJ Not starting...??? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f78/zj-not-starting-7322.html)

Navigtor 03-09-2010 02:33 AM

ZJ Not starting...???

This morning, got into my Jeep.... engine cranks but not starting....:eek::eek: Anybody any idea where I can start looking:confused: Will check tonight if there is spark.
This is the first time this had happend?

DJ BoNiOmArIo 03-09-2010 02:50 AM

Re: ZJ Not starting...???

battery check that first

Navigtor 03-09-2010 03:39 AM

Do you recon it can be the battery? As the starter turns the engine normally? - Will check tonight...

StoneCold 03-09-2010 05:50 AM

Yep, def check the battery and the terminals

Escape 03-09-2010 10:52 AM

Fuel pump or Crank position sensors are common issues on the ZJ.

SRTILL8 03-09-2010 10:55 AM

my 96 ZJ had issue once similar to this. but all i had to do was ever so lightly tap my solenoid under the whip and it would start right up. be careful though if that is it....

gl

opps misread that you said it cranks.... my bust

95_V8_ZJ 03-09-2010 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Escape (Post 166084)
Fuel pump or Crank position sensors are common issues on the ZJ.

what year, motor,

the crank sensor was the only thing to ever stop my ZJ, it ran just perfect the previous night.. then next morning juss cranks and cranks.. check the codes with the key trick and go from there.. thats the first thing i did with mine and it told me what was wrong with it(code 12 no crank reference signal IIRC)

Navigtor 03-10-2010 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95_V8_ZJ (Post 166208)
what year, motor,

the crank sensor was the only thing to ever stop my ZJ, it ran just perfect the previous night.. then next morning juss cranks and cranks.. check the codes with the key trick and go from there.. thats the first thing i did with mine and it told me what was wrong with it(code 12 no crank reference signal IIRC)

Where do I get the fualt codes, and how do I read the codes? I charged the battery last night and still the same this morning, there is fuel but feels like there isnt spark.
I`ve popped into our local Jeep workshop, the guy also mentioned it could be the crank sensor... but I need to tow the vehicle in.....

Navigtor 03-10-2010 02:44 AM

Where is the crank sensor? Bellhousing or front pulley? How much work is it to change this?

Escape 03-10-2010 11:10 AM

It was on the bell housing on my 94 ZJ. Easy to change (1 bolt) but hard to reach.

1 GRAND 03-10-2010 02:08 PM

I had to replace the cap and rotor on my 94 a few months back.

Thought I had got water in it, but it was a dead cap and rotor.

Navigtor 03-12-2010 01:43 AM

OK, I have checked a few things last night. There is spark but no fuel pressure in the rail. It seems like the Fuel pump is not working at all. I then swapped the relays, still with no joy - Need to find my multi-meter to check if there is power on the relay.. for my gut tells me differntly, if I unplug the A/C relay I can feel and hear the relay klick-click but when removing and refitting the fuel pump relay... nothing.
I poured a bit of fuel into the throttle, starts immediatly and dies again - must be fuel related.
Is the Fuel pump inside the tank? How do I get to the Fuel pump?