Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   Any vendor sells a Borla ATAK with black coating ? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/any-vendor-sells-a-borla-atak-with-black-coating-73231.html)

DarkHue 03-25-2014 12:11 PM

Any vendor sells a Borla ATAK with black coating ?

I prefer having black chrome tips for the exhaust system similar to stock. Does anyone know a vendor that sells the ATAK with the option to coat it in black chrome ?

Scottina06 03-25-2014 12:21 PM

Maryland speed will do it I think...but it's expensive. I had my borla powder coated and it greyed up pretty quick. I painted it myself with high temp engine enamel and it's held up better.

DarkHue 03-25-2014 12:23 PM

Re: Any vendor sells a Borla ATAK with black coating ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 997580)
Maryland speed will do it I think...but it's expensive. I had my borla powder coated and it greyed up pretty quick. I painted it myself with high temp engine enamel and it's held up better.

This ? Borla Atak Axleback Exhaust (Black Ceramic Coated)- 2012+ Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 (6.4L Hemi) [11827B] - $1,024.95$799.95 : MarylandSpeed.com- Your First Stop on the Way to Performance!

Apparently they have it ceramic coated, would that grey up with time as well ?
I like it, but I prefer chrome similar to stock. Any vendors other than Maryland ?

SRTBLK 03-25-2014 01:01 PM

i think if i had to do it again, i would get ceramic coating. i am not aware of any other vendors coating borlas, i also had mine powdercoated but later painted with high temp paint and its holding up better.

Scottina06 03-25-2014 01:38 PM

I don't know of anyone black chromium the borla atak. The entire exhaust would have to be done. The resonator is part of the tip....so you can just cut the tip off to be done.

mlarco52 03-25-2014 02:34 PM

Ceramic coating will hold up much better than powder coating in high temp situations such as exhausts if I remember correctly.

lillyjas 03-25-2014 06:40 PM

Well I will know soon, the high temp powder coat is good up to 1200 degrees, not many choices for color variants, but I got more of a dark dark satin grey, than shiny black... and the place said he does headers and all kinds of car parts and should last 2 to 3 years.... And for $150 bucks, not an expensive experiment

DarkHue 03-25-2014 11:25 PM

Thanks for replying guys. So only Maryland provides a colored Borla ATAK from purchase ?

Say that I want to black chrome coat it myself (which I have zero experience in both painting and installing/modifying/cutting exhausts), how would I go about doing it ?

DarkHue 03-27-2014 06:16 PM

I contacted Maryland regarding the exhaust, and was told that they offer matte or semi gloss finish in the black ceramic coatings. Apparently this picture shows the semi-gloss finish :

http://marylandspeed.com/images/DSC00560.jpg

I still prefer chrome, not sure how to get one in black chrome.

DarkHue 03-30-2014 02:11 AM

Scott, you said powder coating your exhaust turned it grey after some time. Do you think Ceramic coating will change color due to heat exposure and time ?

Red Suns 03-30-2014 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkHue (Post 999171)
I still prefer chrome, not sure how to get one in black chrome.

There are a number of vendors who do PVD (Physical Vapor Deposition) coating which is essentially how black chrome is applied. I do not have a particular vendor to recommend as I was looking to black chrome some wheels for my Mustang a while back. I am sure there is at least a vendor or two you could work with that would do a one off run done for some exhaust tips for a price.

Personally I would try to see if I could get something as close as I could to a "black chrome" in a powder coat format as it would probably be a little cheaper (depending of course who would be doing this for you) and much more durable.

DarkHue 03-30-2014 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Suns (Post 1000561)
There are a number of vendors who do PVD (Physical Vapor Deposition) coating which is essentially how black chrome is applied. I do not have a particular vendor to recommend as I was looking to black chrome some wheels for my Mustang a while back. I am sure there is at least a vendor or two you could work with that would do a one off run done for some exhaust tips for a price.

Personally I would try to see if I could get something as close as I could to a "black chrome" in a powder coat format as it would probably be a little cheaper (depending of course who would be doing this for you) and much more durable.

I don't know where to paint the exhaust where I live :( Otherwise it'd be cheaper to just buy the chrome and then paint it here instead ..

I found a picture online showing chrome/glossy borla ATAK tips, beautiful !!

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/...ps95a1181d.jpg