Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2014+ Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel 3.0 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f222/)
-   -   DEF Filter Warnings (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f222/def-filter-warnings-73239.html)

Zybane 03-25-2014 05:08 PM

DEF Filter Warnings

Man this DEF filter system is freaking annoying. Currently working in a small town where I never can get up to "highway speed" and everything is real close. This filter fills up extremely fast. It went from "filter nearing full" to "filter 100% full - visit dealer" and in limp mode in two drives this morning.

So do I have to absolutely have to see a dealer? As in, will the filter not regenerate if I do take it a long distance at "highway speed"? What exactly does the dealer "do" to correct the issue?

The book says to "Drive 20 miles at highway speeds" to correct the "filter nearing full" warning. Seems like a lot of wasted time, energy and money for some stupid filter.

ExcursionDiesel 03-25-2014 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zybane (Post 997728)
The book says to "Drive 20 miles at highway speeds" to correct the "filter nearing full" warning. Seems like a lot of wasted time, energy and money for some stupid filter.

This isnt what you want to hear but you can thank the EPA for that.

The book is correct. If you don't operate at highway speeds every few hundred miles, it will eventually fill up. The warning comes at almost full so that is when you need to drive. If you wait, it WILL fill up and eventually go into limp mode.

To maximize your in town use, avoid extended idling and plan a quick 20 minute cruise at 55mph nonstop periodically.

Typical driving patterns allow the vehicle to run its regen cycle often enough. I've never had a warning in 11k miles and probably never will.

Zybane 03-25-2014 06:47 PM

Re: DEF Filter Warnings

Ya, I've driven nowhere near 100 miles, maybe 20-30 miles in and around town without "highway driving" before the car went into limp mode. That seems like a ridiculously fast filling of the filter.

I didn't think it was that huge of a deal as the message "filter regenerating" came on quite often. So does the system only really regenerate at highway speed?

Now I have to figure out if going to the dealer is the only way to fix this nonsense...

ExcursionDiesel 03-25-2014 07:24 PM

If your vehicle isn't in limp mode where it only operates at partial power, my suggestion is to plan the shortest route to a highway and drive it for 20 minutes. Since you say its in limp mode, the dealer can force a regen cycle with their computer.

Zybane 03-25-2014 07:43 PM

Oh it's in limp mode. Half power or so, won't upshift, red flashing lights, like it's the end of the world. FULL FILTER FULL FILTER OMG! (lightning bolt).

I was just curious if I could force a regen cycle, or if it would do it itself if I got it on the highway. Seems like once the "dealer" message comes up, you are screwed. :(

netboy 03-25-2014 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zybane (Post 997863)
Oh it's in limp mode. Half power or so, won't upshift, red flashing lights, like it's the end of the world. FULL FILTER FULL FILTER OMG! (lightning bolt).

I was just curious if I could force a regen cycle, or if it would do it itself if I got it on the highway. Seems like once the "dealer" message comes up, you are screwed. :(

Many large rigs have a "parked regen" button, where the driver can force a regen by pushing a button. The engine revs to 2100RPM for 40 minutes and your DPF is clean. Unfortunately, we don't have such a luxury (why?). I think you're out of luck.

Zybane 03-25-2014 08:21 PM

Ya, at least this provides people info that do a lot of in town driving to not go too far with the DPF filter message on. It fills up quicker than you think and apparently doesn't do any regen at slower speeds from what I've seen even though it says so on the message. You truly must be at highway speed...

1Zach1 03-25-2014 08:24 PM

Something has to be off, I've driven 50-75 miles in 1-5 mile increments recently without ever breaking 40MPH and have not had any regen warnings.

Zybane 03-25-2014 08:39 PM

Don't use remote start either, I think that may have worsened my filter quite a bit.

ExcursionDiesel 03-25-2014 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Zach1 (Post 997911)
Something has to be off, I've driven 50-75 miles in 1-5 mile increments recently without ever breaking 40MPH and have not had any regen warnings.

I suspect the vehicle may have had DPF accumulation and been partially full before the short trip routine began. It would be interesting to know how many miles are on the vehicle. I've heard of DPFs being nearly full at delivery from idling, shuttling the vehicle after manufacture, and test drives before delivery. Fuel quality also determines soot production. The Aussie's diesel is worse than ULSD here. Does anyone know if biodiesel is dirtier? I read it is mandated in some states.

1Zach1 03-26-2014 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExcursionDiesel (Post 997965)
I suspect the vehicle may have had DPF accumulation and been partially full before the short trip routine began. It would be interesting to know how many miles are on the vehicle. I've heard of DPFs being nearly full at delivery from idling, shuttling the vehicle after manufacture, and test drives before delivery. Fuel quality also determines soot production. The Aussie's diesel is worse than ULSD here. Does anyone know if biodiesel is dirtier? I read it is mandated in some states.

I got the Regen warning on my way home from the dealer with 20 miles on it, thankfully I had to take the highway anyways so by the time I was home it was complete. I haven't had it happen since and 95% of my miles less than 5 miles at a time.

Rexlion 03-26-2014 04:47 PM

I can't think of a reason why regen would not occur at a sustained high rpm even if not at highway speed. In other words, if in limp mode, can the vehicle be driven on the city streets at 2500 rpm or so for long enough to get a regeneration?