Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Going from WK2 to Wrangler Unlimited (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/going-from-wk2-to-wrangler-unlimited-73252.html)

jaredstrauss 03-25-2014 09:03 PM

Going from WK2 to Wrangler Unlimited

So I had a 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit and liked it bough thought I wanted more luxury and traded it in for a 2014 Summit Diesel which is very nice but it's too nice. I'm afraid to do much with it and really wish I got an Overland. At this point I am considering getting a Wranger Ulimited. Has anyone made the switch?

I'm going to lose some money on the trade but not a ton.

I don't drive much (around 8,000 miles a year) so MPG is not a concern.

f1anatic 03-25-2014 09:26 PM

Re: Going from WK2 to Wrangler Unlimited

Well, I guarantee you that the Overland will scratch just as easily as an Overland.
Just as some of us want to add to our Limited and Overlands bits and pieces from the Summit/SRT trims (like front parksense sensors) so can you add the beefier tire/wheel combo and the skid plates and enjoy your Summit off-road.

I had a Wrangler rental. You will not be happy going from a Grand Cherokee to a boxy car with less creature comforts and fewer, much fewer buttons to push.

stratoblaster 03-25-2014 09:45 PM

I'd love to go from my WK to a JKU but don't want to slash tow capacity in half!

Deception 03-25-2014 09:46 PM

I always contemplated switching to a Wrangler, you're going to lose all luxury switching to that car. Manual seats, no cooled seats, no technology package (Adaptive Cruise, Blind Spot Monitoring), no reverse camera, outdated navigation, etc. None of those seem like a reason to trade in a '14 Summit.

JeepGCOverland 03-25-2014 09:52 PM

Honestly, the Overland won't be much less nice than the Summit you already have. You'll basically get a different color interior with leather that is supposed to not be quite as nice (I didn't really notice a difference myself), a cloth headliner, a worse sound system, and a more rugged looking exterior.

What do you think is too nice about it?

I've test driven both vehicles, and they are very, very different. The only things they share in common are the Jeep name and good off-road capability.

Benefits of the GC:
-Luxurious interior
-Tons of features
-Great ride
-Quiet on the highway
-More toned-down/executive look (some people want this, some don't)

Benefits of the Wrangler Unlimited:
-Outstanding off-road ability
-Fun (everything about the vehicle is fun, from taking the top off to being able to hose out the interior and not worrying about mud/dirt)
-Iconic status- I'm not sure if there is a more recognizable vehicle on the road, nor one that has stayed as true to its roots or inspires such a sense of nationalism and American pride.
-Still lots of niceties, such as heated leather seats and navigation
-Massive, massive aftermarket that will allow you to customize it (or not) to your tastes (dealers also are very receptive to modifications on Wranglers and will not hassle you)
-Outstanding resale value
-Rugged, functional design that still looks great (again, it depends on the person)

Go check out both at the dealer. You will probably find that the Overland isn't too different from your Summit. The Overland and Summit will drive identically, so don't bother taking a test drive. Take the Wrangler Unlimited for a long test drive, and maybe even try to see if the dealer will give you one for the day. Check out some Wrangler forums. No offense to the JG Wrangler section, but it is, uh, dead. Wrangler Forum is my favorite. Spend a few hours on there and post a thread if you want. You will learn a lot and the members are very active and helpful. Depending on where you are located, you might even get an offer to go wheeling with one of them.

My take: If you still think you might want a Wrangler, get one. You will either love it or hate it, there isn't really an in between. Worst case scenario, you don't like it and trade it in for an Overland. The resale value is so good that you won't lose much, and would possibly end up breaking even or even making some money. For instance, Scottina06 had a 2013 Wrangler Unlimited that he sold after a few months and ended up making some money. The top of the line Rubicon X is probably what you will be looking at (although the Rubicon and Sahara can be optioned with the same niceties, just not stuff like the hood, bumpers, etc.) and will hold its value exceptionally well.

Let me know what you end up deciding. I hope I helped. Also, if you have any additional questions, I will probably have answers. I know the GCs and Wranglers inside and out. :)

Magnetworks 03-25-2014 09:56 PM

I have a JKU and an new GC diesel. One is old school and one is new school. If the GC wasn't my wife's DD, I would take that in a heartbeat, no comparison.

Best of luck.

jaredstrauss 03-26-2014 09:11 PM

Thanks for the replies. it's a tough decision. seems like it's hard to go wrong either way.

Rexlion 03-26-2014 09:22 PM

If you are worried about scratching your Summit, you could spring for a full body vinyl wrap. That way the wrap will take the punishment instead of the paint.

If you want to really go hard core off-roading, then by all means get a Wrangler. Personally if I wanted to do that I'd get one that's a few years old, so I really would not mind what I did to it! But I'd keep the GC for streets and highways.

mswlogo 03-26-2014 11:22 PM

$10K was gone the minute you signed the deal not to ever be recovered.

So use it and enjoy it and stop overthinking it.

jaredstrauss 03-27-2014 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mswlogo (Post 998726)
$10K was gone the minute you signed the deal not to ever be recovered. So use it and enjoy it and stop overthinking it.

I'd be losing ~ $2,600 or $650 a month which is way less than it costs to lease the Summit. Paid $52,600 for the summit. Getting offered $50,000 for the trade and 2% under invoice on the wrangler. Losing slightly more on sales tax but not much.

Zybane 03-27-2014 03:28 PM

I came from a Rubicon Unlimited before getting my Diesel Summit. The Rubicon only does one thing better really, off-road. The GC diesel does about a thousand thing better. The paint on the Wrangler will scratch just as easy. Get some clear bra or don't worry about the scratches like I do. You'd be surprised at the beating/scratches the clear can take and can be buffed out before you go to sell it.

lstowell 03-27-2014 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaredstrauss (Post 998831)
I'd be losing ~ $2,600 or $650 a month which is way less than it costs to lease the Summit. Paid $52,600 for the summit. Getting offered $50,000 for the trade and 2% under invoice on the wrangler. Losing slightly more on sales tax but not much.

Depends on if you want a nice daily driver that sorta drives like a luxo sedan, or want a bit more hardcore rugged trail capability. The Unlimited Rubicon will go places the GC won't, or at the very least will get you dirty looks from the spouse if you try it.

A semi lux vehicle it ain't. And you may or may not want that.

I'd suggest driving one on some rail road ties to test its ride quality [or a NYC street], as unless you drive where the rocks are like that, you don't really need the Wrangler.

On the other hand, if after driving it, you simply WANT one, who is to say otherwise.