Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   little disappointment with my Jeep SRT family (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/little-disappointment-with-my-jeep-srt-family-73274.html)

Scottina06 03-26-2014 11:51 AM

little disappointment with my Jeep SRT family

The gen1 SRT was pretty much without aftermarket parts for 2-3 years. When parts finally started to surface...owners flocked....sometimes regardless of quality...to buy those rare products. We.....as gen2 owners have been soon oolong lucky to have aftermarket parts available to us from almost day one. But....There is a slight difference.....we haven't supported those said parts or vendors. Now those vendors are discontinuing and second guessing their investment in our platform. I've had several vendors come to me and ask what the problem is? Why are they not buying these items? Maybe....you as owners can help us out and let us know what the problem is here. Some of it I feel....is the higher starting price of the gen2 Jeep SRT. Owners are a little more stretched financially and can't afford these aftermarket parts?? Or simply they are a different breed of SRT owner and don't wanna mod their Jeep? Help me out here to understand. Please post your thoughts and opinions!

JeepFreak12 03-26-2014 11:59 AM

Re: little disappointment with my Jeep SRT family

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 998319)
Some of it I feel....is the higher starting price of the gen2 Jeep SRT.

I think that is the major part. Buying a $60,000+ jeep leaves little room for the average person to buy mods. Most of the good quality stuff is getting more and more expensive I feel. As a gen1 owner I really don't have the same issue but I can see where they are coming from when it comes to modding. Their are a select few people I know of, including you Scott, that have modded there wk2's to the extreme that you have.

Scottina06 03-26-2014 12:14 PM

Yep. ...but 100s of owners bought that first medic hood and it w a s a piece of crap. They cracked. ....flopped around on the highway and we're more expensive than say the CFR hood...which IMHO is pretty darn nice and 10x higher quality. I think I've seen like 5 trucks with the CFR hood. Not to mention...jeep has sold more gen2 SRT's than gen1(AS of now)

JeepFreak12 03-26-2014 12:32 PM

I think that might have scared some people away from buying from a different company. I don't think their are many companies that can compete with Black Ops on quality and people shy away from the steep prices. Now that bigger ticket items are becoming more and more readily available for your WK2's, I think more people will start to come around and buy more. Tuning hasn't been around all that long for the wk2's and I only know of maybe 5 guys running forced induction on them.

xs-cash 03-26-2014 12:43 PM

up here in Canada the price was over $75 k , that's a lotta $$ I jus don't wanna start adding the mods quite yet !!!

lets get some miles on her 1st!

A-kon 03-26-2014 12:49 PM

For me.

One, the SRT comes with a lot more goodies than the WK1. There's very little incentive to change hoods as our factory is the perfect balance of class and aggression.

Two, none of the basic mods available for our rigs really do much at all. I'd probably do headers, throttle body, tune, etc. if they actually did anything. WK1 owners have documented And track proven improvements. WK2 guys don't. Jim has done extensive testing on 12-13s with tunes, headers, etc and the track shows no gains and maybe losses. For me, SRT/Chrysler is too blame. Not releasing the codes for whatever reason has killed the viper, the jeep, and many other vehicles.

I'm not gonna piss off thousands more for no tangible benefit. I'm also not gonna tacky up my jeep with 8000k HID, weird interior led, neons on the outside, etc like so many WK1 guys have. The wk2 is in a whole different league and it deserves to be treated as such. With the price point, as mentioned, comes a different customer. We have different tastes.

That's my best explanation. FTR black ops has come out with some excellent looking and very tasteful mods for the WK2. The issue is I'm so satisfied with stock that's it hard for me to improve on it....

Scottina06 03-26-2014 01:01 PM

yep...Thats Part Of It To I guess. The wk1 srt hood was the same as the nonsrt...so owners had an incentive to change hoods. But...Some of the things that sold for the gen1 doesn't sell for the wk2...ie. cf step pad, mirrors etc. I just don't want our community to lose out on all that is available....to one day want it and it not be there. That's it. I have no stake in this for any vendor. My jeep is not sponsored. I have receipts.for all my stuff. I just don't want future owners short changed because we aren't supporting vendors for whatever reason. And if we can influence vendors to make changes if it's not what we want....now is the time. I know of one vendor considering a hood to do for the wk2.....but he sees how other hoods have sold and is reluctant.

cyanideg 03-26-2014 01:01 PM

I dont feel like there is a whole lot on the market for the WK2... When I buy a new ride I usually spring for the basic bolt ons right away: CIA, Tstat, catch can.

I tried some of the CF stuff from Blackops, pretty good stuff but just so expensive. and then The others like Bwoody, I love the CAI but I dont like having to remove the OEM washer rez. They also never mentioned anything about the new pump not working like OEM. Small stuff but still..

Relwarc 03-26-2014 01:02 PM

Scott, I was wondering this as well.

Look at the other cars on the road, ones comparable to the WK2 SRT8.

Porsche, Range rover, BMW. ETC.

I don't know about your area, but the VAST majority of these cars are left un-modified. They are people who buy a car to have a nice car, they don't want to "mess" with it.

The price tag brings a completely different type of customer. Some are going to be guys who want to play with them, sure. But most want a pretty car, that's is.

The WK1 catered to a completely different demographic.

I hate to say it... but the WK2 is for yuppies. Every single WK2 SRT8 driver i've met (with a few exceptions, of course) are guys who DD them while they save their expensive sports car for weekends. They buy the vapor edition, think it's pimp, and never lift the hood.

That's my .02.... I'm sure I'm probably going to catch flack, but.... meh :cool:

A-kon 03-26-2014 01:26 PM

^ mostly accurate. I'm more of a hybrid yuppie. I'm not the douchebag who lives his life according to some script, however, I am young and a I do have a damn good semi-professional job. On the other hand, most WK2 guys are full blown yuppies. They're no different than the Mercedes and BMW crowds. These guys are most wannabe poseurs. They don't frequent forums however so I shouldn't be offending anyone here.

On the flip side I mean no disrespect, but the WK1 guys are one in the same with the mustang,camaro, and challenger guys. They wrench on their rides, track often, but at the same time do terrible ghetto/white trash things to their rigs. Age means nothing in this group, they are the forever teenagers.

I pop my hood. I did my share of minor mod installs back In the day. Now however I'd rather wallet whip it than do it myself. Don't do anything yourself you can't afford to pay someone to do. One day, when I have my 2000hp gen V viper, it won't be me driving it down the drag strip. I'll have a driver...because I'm a yuppie, hybrid of course ;)

johnpassantino1 03-26-2014 01:29 PM

Love when people generalize an entire group of people. Wish the WK1 guys that obviously don't like the WK2 go back to their section of the forum since they have nothing to add to our "yuppie" section of the forum.

Didn't realize DDing my truck made me less of an enthusiast.

greenwayer 03-26-2014 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relwarc (Post 998365)
Scott, I was wondering this as well. Look at the other cars on the road, ones comparable to the WK2 SRT8. Porsche, Range rover, BMW. ETC. I don't know about your area, but the VAST majority of these cars are left un-modified. They are people who buy a car to have a nice car, they don't want to "mess" with it. The price tag brings a completely different type of customer. Some are going to be guys who want to play with them, sure. But most want a pretty car, that's is. The WK1 catered to a completely different demographic. I hate to say it... but the WK2 is for yuppies. Every single WK2 SRT8 driver i've met (with a few exceptions, of course) are guys who DD them while they save their expensive sports car for weekends. They buy the vapor edition, think it's pimp, and never lift the hood. That's my .02.... I'm sure I'm probably going to catch flack, but.... meh :cool:

Yeah I think it has to do with the price class the srt jeep has moved itself into. It is now an 80k car, when the wk1 srt first came out it was supposed to be a 45k car. It was a true muscle car with a tuning muscle car crowd like the mustang. Now it has become a performance luxury car with the same customer base as the bmw x5 porshe cayenne and land rover. My bmw x5 is bone stock, and always will be, while my wk1 is being HEAVILY modified. It's just the persona of the car.