Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/)
-   -   Front strut mount replacement (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/front-strut-mount-replacement-73288.html)

ChrisWk 03-26-2014 04:21 PM

Front strut mount replacement

I am getting ready to get front srt shocks installed, do I need to install new strut mounts too or use my old ones? What have you guys done.

Thanks

stashgto 03-26-2014 04:47 PM

Re: Front strut mount replacement

I went with the Moog upper mount kit, and lower isolaters.

dmsfun 03-30-2014 05:50 AM

I also went with Moog mounts and new OEM lower front isolators. The mount itself is not going to wear, just the rubber isolator inside it, but you can't buy just the rubber piece. Definitely replace these if you are doing shocks, and also the rear upper and lower isolators. Even though they may appear OK, the elastic modulus of the rubber softens over time, and new ones tighten up the handling.

ChrisWk 03-30-2014 09:40 AM

Do you have some part numbers for these parts I need. I glad I ask I was just going to install the shocks .

brentwoodkris 03-31-2014 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisWk (Post 1000636)
Do you have some part numbers for these parts I need. I glad I ask I was just going to install the shocks .

Just jump on rockauto and put in your year/make/model. You'll see all the MOOG parts listed under the suspension expander on the site. :thumbsup: It will also cross reference the dealer part number.

ChrisWk 04-02-2014 08:30 PM

Well I order the strut mounts with isolaters and I order moog upper Comtrol arms too. So I should be all set up front.

jtodaro 04-04-2014 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisWk (Post 1002762)
Well I order the strut mounts with isolaters and I order moog upper Comtrol arms too. So I should be all set up front.

Heads up. When changing out the front struts, the clevis bolt likes to seize up in the bushing (clevis bushing on lower a arm). The dealership says this bushing isn't serviceable, but Moog makes a replacement one. The bolts you can get from the dealership. I had to literally CUT the bolt with a sawzall right where the clevis mounts, to get the thing out. Definitely not fun and made a 1.5hr job more like 6 hours.

ChrisWk 08-18-2014 11:10 PM

Well I got it all installed but I got clunking noise from the sway or something, I did not have before the install. Also my sway bar moves left to right is the sway bar support to move at all when turning the wheel ?

paroxysym 08-19-2014 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisWk (Post 1069797)
Well I got it all installed but I got clunking noise from the sway or something, I did not have before the install. Also my sway bar moves left to right is the sway bar support to move at all when turning the wheel ?

may want to go back and torque those mounts down or check to see how worn those bushings are. the swaybar should no move that much. how many miles on your links?

ChrisWk 08-19-2014 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paroxysym (Post 1069945)
may want to go back and torque those mounts down or check to see how worn those bushings are. the swaybar should no move that much. how many miles on your links?

I got 55k on the sway bar links and mounts bushing. Would installing all new struts,upper control arm and new rubber islotors make the sway bar links and bar move in a new direction? I got a 05 limited with oem sway bar on it. Let me know what you think.

Thanks

brentwoodkris 08-19-2014 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisWk (Post 1069952)
I got 55k on the sway bar links and mounts bushing. Would installing all new struts,upper control arm and new rubber islotors make the sway bar links and bar move in a new direction? I got a 05 limited with oem sway bar on it. Let me know what you think.

Thanks

The design on the sway bar bushings and bracket for the bushings was changed. I'd suggest upgrading to the new parts for the bushings and brackets and seeing if that fixes your issue. It fixed mine. If not, then you can move onto the end links. I've got my OEM end links on my WK with 115k on it and the end links aren't making any noise haha. :thumbsup:

ChrisWk 08-19-2014 04:10 PM

So should I go ahead and buy the srt 8 sway bar with new bushing and brackets with it fit on my 05 WK ?