Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Auto-Dimming Headlights - How do they work? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/auto-dimming-headlights-how-do-they-work-73446.html)

markp99 03-30-2014 04:02 PM

Auto-Dimming Headlights - How do they work?

I love these on my 2011 Limited. They are freakishly accurate for me.

Can anyone describe how these actually work? What does the camera/sensor actually see that trips off the high beams?

- Headlights approaching
- Taillights departing
- Vehicles perpendicularly crossing my line of travel
- Other vehicles near and far

- Ignores parked vehicles w/illuminated reflecting taillights
- Ignores street lights and other non-moving vehicle light sources

Is it a doppler-type thing where the sensor determines the other vehicle is moving relative to my Jeep? Seems like that would be hugely complicated to make a comparison like this - so many variables at both ends. But a parked car's illuminate/reflective taillights look very much like a moving cars taillights...but do not trip the sensor...

So, how do they work?!

SW03ES 03-30-2014 05:52 PM

Re: Auto-Dimming Headlights - How do they work?

Its just a forward sensor that picks up light aimed at the vehicle approaching from a certain distance.

This technology isn't new, but its gotten much better. My Dad had a 1990 Lincoln Continental that had this feature. It didn't work that great, but advances in photo sensors and computer technology has changed things.

markp99 03-31-2014 06:45 AM

Yep, cameras/sensor behind the mirror.

I'm just curious to learn WHAT it's looking for, and WHY it does not trip on street lights and and reflected taillights on parked cars. To my detectors (my eyes :)), these things are indistinguishable from a MOVING vehicle at a distance.

I cannot find a semi-technical description anywhere. My google-foo is failing me.

AAAA 03-31-2014 07:42 AM

It works much better than anything similar that I have seen. I am sure it is proprietary software so we will never find out how it discriminates what is in it's field of view. Often when I am driving I assume that it will miss identify a lamp on a post, reflective sign or not detect a taillight, but it does not mess up. It is weirdly accurate. BTW, mine does not ignore street lights. When I drive into an area with street lights it lowers the beam.

jacko15 03-31-2014 08:09 AM

On dark country roads with multiple, very bright reflectors on curves, it dims my high beams, which I don't like. Those are generally the only roads where I use the high beams, so I've disabled that function.

imaz 03-31-2014 10:59 AM

It works well for me too. I just need a new algorithm to flash the high beams when every prick high beams their lights at me... I never get why people do that.

jrog28 03-31-2014 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imaz (Post 1001182)
It works well for me too. I just need a new algorithm to flash the high beams when every prick high beams their lights at me... I never get why people do that.

Its because they think you have your brights on. I actually enjoy then flashing my brights back to show they wasn't on, they thought it was to bright before!

GBJeep 03-31-2014 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markp99 (Post 1000783)
I love these on my 2011 Limited. They are freakishly accurate for me!

These work great on my 2011 X as well. Nice feature. I also have the lights set to come on when the windshield wipers are activated.
Love this feature as well.

imaz 03-31-2014 11:17 AM

I once flashed my high beams at another car only to realise it was another real 4x4 as it was getting closer. He then flashed like 20 spotties and my lord, I thought that was "the" light at the end of the tunnel..

jrog28 03-31-2014 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imaz (Post 1001193)
I once flashed my high beams at another car only to realise it was another real 4x4 as it was getting closer. He then flashed like 20 spotties and my lord, I thought that was "the" light at the end of the tunnel..

Now thats funny! :lol:

SW03ES 04-01-2014 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GBJeep (Post 1001192)
These work great on my 2011 X as well. Nice feature. I also have the lights set to come on when the windshield wipers are activated.
Love this feature as well.

How do you have auto high beams on a Laredo X?

Dan JGC 04-01-2014 05:00 PM

My dad's Cadillac which would have been mid to early 1980's had the auto-high beam feature back then.....worked pretty well then too but as I recall large signs on a dark road would trigger it to dim.

I just figured it was some simple photo sensors.