Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   Does the gear stick stop you from going into reverse while moving ? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/does-the-gear-stick-stop-you-from-going-into-reverse-while-moving-73469.html)

DarkHue 03-31-2014 06:46 AM

Does the gear stick stop you from going into reverse while moving ?

This may sound like a strange question but it's quite serious.

If I shifted to neutral but slipped into reverse while driving (due to transmission stick design), would I kill the transmission box ? Or is there a safety mechanism that stops the gear from going into reverse ?

I was slowing down to a stop the other day and slipped into reverse instead of neutral at around 10km/h, but the car slowed down to a full stop and reverse lights illuminated. This got me worried, what if I was travelling at 80km/h ?!! I don't want to test it (nor should anyone) but maybe an expert here already knows something about this ?

Strongjeff 03-31-2014 06:50 AM

Re: Does the gear stick stop you from going into reverse while moving ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkHue (Post 1001091)
This may sound like a strange question but it's quite serious.

If I shifted to neutral but slipped into reverse while driving (due to transmission stick design), would I kill the transmission box ? Or is there a safety mechanism that stops the gear from going into reverse ?

I was slowing down to a stop the other day and slipped into reverse instead of neutral at around 10km/h, but the car slowed down to a full stop and reverse lights illuminated. This got me worried, what if I was travelling at 80km/h ?!! I don't want to test it (nor should anyone) but maybe an expert here already knows something about this ?

There should be a reverse lock out to prevent this. Although in the electronically controlled transmissions today the shift modual prevents going into reverse until you stop. This would explain why the reverse light's didn't come on until then.

DarkHue 03-31-2014 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongjeff (Post 1001092)
There should be a reverse lock out to prevent this. Although in the electronically controlled transmissions today the shift modual prevents going into reverse until you stop. This would explain why the reverse light's didn't come on until then.

The gear stick actually tipped to the front and didn't lock, but I didn't really check if the gear changed to R before stopping. I would expect it to tip slightly to Neutral, but it went all the way to Reverse.

So If, for example, I was travelling at 80km/h and tip the gear stick forward, would it go to N then LOCK itself from tipping all the way to the front ? Or would it go forward all the way but display N as the current gear ?

Strongjeff 03-31-2014 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkHue (Post 1001093)
The gear stick actually tipped to the front and didn't lock, but I didn't really check if the gear changed to R before stopping. I would expect it to tip slightly to Neutral, but it went all the way to Reverse.

So If, for example, I was travelling at 80km/h and tip the gear stick forward, would it go to N then LOCK itself from tipping all the way to the front ? Or would it go forward all the way but display N as the current gear ?

I would suspect that the software in the shift modual would prevent it from happening even if the stick did move. But to be honest I really couldnt answer that as I dont have the same transmission. But I do know in my 08 I have the same trans as the srt and it locks out reverse at speed. I can however go from reverse to drive while moving at a slow enough speed. It woild give a shudder but thats all it does. ( did it by accident)

DarkHue 03-31-2014 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongjeff (Post 1001100)
I would suspect that the software in the shift modual would prevent it from happening even if the stick did move. But to be honest I really couldnt answer that as I dont have the same transmission. But I do know in my 08 I have the same trans as the srt and it locks out reverse at speed. I can however go from reverse to drive while moving at a slow enough speed. It woild give a shudder but thats all it does. ( did it by accident)

Appreciate your answer anyway :)
Yeah I want to avoid having any kind of shudders due to a mis-shift in the tranny !! I'm not sure how it behaves, as what happened to me was by accident as well.

Anyone with the new 8-speed transmission can shed some light on this topic ?

Schleprock 03-31-2014 10:23 AM

^^ Thinks DarkHue needs his own sticky thread to keep a rolling conversation of all his questions and worries.

vvM1LESvv 03-31-2014 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schleprock (Post 1001171)
^^ Thinks DarkHue needs his own sticky thread to keep a rolling conversation of all his questions and worries.

DarkHues's Random Question Corner..
Tomorrow's random question, What is a motor and does my car need it too move? Or, Gas is getting expensive, is there any harm with filling my tank up with water instead, without voiding warranty of course?

bill_de 03-31-2014 01:22 PM

According to the owners manual you can shift into reverse while stopped or going slow, as long as your foot is on the brake.

I didn't see anything about a high speed lockout.

---

Scottina06 03-31-2014 02:39 PM

please...if you don't have anything constructive to add...please don't add anything

DarkHue 03-31-2014 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 1001247)
According to the owners manual you can shift into reverse while stopped or going slow, as long as your foot is on the brake.

I didn't see anything about a high speed lockout.

---

Thanks for replying and providing that tip !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 1001282)
please...if you don't have anything constructive to add...please don't add anything

Thank you.