Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Platform style hitch bike rack (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/platform-style-hitch-bike-rack-73522.html)

beebo401 04-01-2014 08:27 AM

Platform style hitch bike rack

Hello all, I know there are multiple threads on this but most have been inactive for a while. As the nice weather is finally approaching in New England, I picked up the Saris freedom superclamp...it may not be as awesome as a 1upUsa rack but it has independent ratcheting arms that secure the bike by both wheels, retractable cable lock and integrated hitch lock, along with a lifetime warranty all while being built in the USA. Autoanything had a 15% off coupon which put the whole rack at just shy of $300 w free shipping. If anyone has been thinking about making a similar purchase I will take pics and a review when it arrives. Also if anyone is local to RI and has any good mountain bike trails they'd like to share, feel free!

khooker24 04-01-2014 09:29 PM

Re: Platform style hitch bike rack

Would definitely be interested in pics and your review when you have a chance.

beebo401 04-01-2014 09:33 PM

Will do, should be in within the next few days.

beebo401 04-04-2014 02:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hitch is awesome, I like the built in hitch and rack locks, doesn't not wobble like some other 1.25-2" systems, keeps bike secure without frame contact. Great deal for the price and lighter than most Thule/Yakima racks

goonie1 04-04-2014 03:47 PM

Nice rack! And 29er :-)

Does that rack fold up? I have a Thule T2 and I fold it up whenever it's not in use to make maneuvering in a parking lot easier. I had to buy a hitch extender though, otherwise I couldn't open the lift gate with it folded up. Whenever I have bikes on it I can't open the gate so I just go through the window.

jacko15 04-04-2014 03:52 PM

This one folds up when not in use, and tips back for liftgate access. Also made of aluminum (in the U.S.A), so it's light. Been using it for a year and love it.
Products » Sherpa | Küat
Got a good deal at rackattack.com.

beebo401 04-04-2014 04:07 PM

This one is pretty slim, but doesn't fold up or tilt...I use it mostly just to and from trails so that wasnt a huge priority. The big thing for me was quality, warranty, and price...under 300 shipped for this is not a bad grab

goonie1 04-04-2014 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beebo401 (Post 1003583)
This one is pretty slim, but doesn't fold up or tilt...I use it mostly just to and from trails so that wasnt a huge priority. The big thing for me was quality, warranty, and price...under 300 shipped for this is not a bad grab

I agree, these racks can get stupid expensive! It's good you found a made in the USA rack that fits your needs....Although I have been drooling over the vagabond x for a while now hoping for a sale :-D

khooker24 04-05-2014 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beebo401 (Post 1003525)
Hitch is awesome, I like the built in hitch and rack locks, doesn't not wobble like some other 1.25-2" systems, keeps bike secure without frame contact. Great deal for the price and lighter than most Thule/Yakima racks

Thanks for the update!

aboyce85 06-05-2014 06:35 PM

I've been trying to narrow my search for a new bike rack, I'm leaning towards the Kuat Sherpa but also like the Saris Superclamp. I can't find much info. on the Saris, perhaps it's still pretty new?

How is the Superclamp with 2 bikes, are they too close together? Also, does it stick out too far if you want to leave the rack on for a few days since it doesn't fold against the vehicle?

Any other lightweight racks I should consider?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

Ricko 06-05-2014 07:58 PM

I went purchased a similar bike rack by the name of swagman. It is also a platform bike rack which is what I love. I bought it off etrailers for alittle over 200 bucks.

Swagman XTC-2 - 2 Bike Platform Carrier for 1-1/4" and 2" Trailer Hitches Swagman Hitch Bike Racks S64670

So far love the rack the bike isn't going anywhere. I will try and post some pics tomorrow of the rack.

aboyce85 06-05-2014 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricko (Post 1033029)
I went purchased a similar bike rack by the name of swagman. It is also a platform bike rack which is what I love. I bought it off etrailers for alittle over 200 bucks.

Swagman XTC-2 - 2 Bike Platform Carrier for 1-1/4" and 2" Trailer Hitches Swagman Hitch Bike Racks S64670

So far love the rack the bike isn't going anywhere. I will try and post some pics tomorrow of the rack.

I'll check that out, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage