Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2014+ Cherokee-KL (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f216/)
-   -   Noise in dash (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f216/noise-in-dash-73631.html)

ragoodsp 04-03-2014 08:32 AM

Noise in dash

Took delivery of my new TH a week'ish ago, abosutely love it and all is going fine with the exception of a weird small rattle in the dash around the drivers side speaker grille/defrost vents. I have done the AC/heater pipe wrap as described in another post and that made no difference, have had my hand everywhere I can reach under the dash and find nothing loose, nothing appears loose on the engine firewall side, i have cut every tag that I can find that might be flickering in the wind. I have pushed down everywhere on the dash thinking there just might be a fastener that is not all the way in but I find nothing and the rattle continues. It is not real loud, kind of like a hollow plasticky sound. I have yet to go to my dealer for I know they will be somewhat reluctant to take the dash apart and I am to. Anyone have any possible suggestions? Again, a super vehicle that comes very close to my wife's 14 GC, so close she likes the size of the TH better and keeps mentioning that perhaps we can trade vehicles!. Thanks

PrimoJeep 04-03-2014 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragoodsp (Post 1002932)
Took delivery of my new TH a week'ish ago, abosutely love it and all is going fine with the exception of a weird small rattle in the dash around the drivers side speaker grille/defrost vents. I have done the AC/heater pipe wrap as described in another post and that made no difference, have had my hand everywhere I can reach under the dash and find nothing loose, nothing appears loose on the engine firewall side, i have cut every tag that I can find that might be flickering in the wind. I have pushed down everywhere on the dash thinking there just might be a fastener that is not all the way in but I find nothing and the rattle continues. It is not real loud, kind of like a hollow plasticky sound. I have yet to go to my dealer for I know they will be somewhat reluctant to take the dash apart and I am to. Anyone have any possible suggestions? Again, a super vehicle that comes very close to my wife's 14 GC, so close she likes the size of the TH better and keeps mentioning that perhaps we can trade vehicles!. Thanks

I have the same type of noise coming from my JGC that I just bought too. It's coming from the passenger side vent/dash. I took it into the dealer yesterday and have yet to get it back. Will update when I get it today.

ragoodsp 04-03-2014 09:08 AM

Re: Noise in dash

Please let us know what they find! Hopefully tere will be a cause that can be fixed. ths.

PrimoJeep 04-03-2014 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragoodsp (Post 1002942)
Please let us know what they find! Hopefully tere will be a cause that can be fixed. ths.

so they didn't fix nothing. They said they couldn't hear it which is BS so I'm going to have to go back, get a mechanic to drive with me to prove it. They obviously didn't even drive it to see. Waste of time!

Dave E 05-26-2014 04:30 PM

Any more information on this rattle I have it to. My sounds like a glass lid rattling on a bowl

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

ragoodsp 05-28-2014 08:32 AM

Folks:

With 3000 miles on mine now the rattle has gone completely. Dealer kept saying to wait a little and see what happens before they ripped into the dash, the noise was not super loud but is was very irritating to the point it influenced the driving expeirence and it did in fact sound like a cap rattling on galss. I did nothing different it has just gone. Watch it come back tonight! Love the car and have had zero issues and that includes perfect transmission operation (Feb. build date). Thanks

MDBones 05-28-2014 09:05 AM

While I haven't had the described rattle, I was dusting off the dash yesterday and wiping around the main speedo/gauge display area. I noticed that the surrounding trim bezel was a little loose and made the typical plastic creaking and popping sounds when I pressed against it.

Check that out on yours and see if that's creating the rattle.

Dave E 06-01-2014 07:56 AM

My dealer keep my jeep for two days called and said they found it an was gone. Pick jeep up, as I was driving out to Main Street and down the rattle was almost constant . This was two appointments a four days. Going back for the third time.

JRSJEEP 06-05-2014 06:32 PM

@Dave E, any updates?

JRSJEEP 06-05-2014 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave E (Post 1030763)
My dealer keep my jeep for two days called and said they found it an was gone. Pick jeep up, as I was driving out to Main Street and down the rattle was almost constant . This was two appointments a four days. Going back for the third time.

Any updates?

PrimoJeep 06-05-2014 10:49 PM

Hey Guys - so my dealer figured out the rattle noise - it's the glove box. There is some internal mechanism in which it closes the glove box to the dashboard that is making the rattle. This is at least for my car. It took a few months to figure out but now they plan to replace the glove box to eliminate the sound. Let you know when that happens and the outcome.

JRSJEEP 06-05-2014 10:56 PM

@Primojeep, what did yours sound like and did it only happen at highway speed?