Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Modifications on a Leased GC (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/modifications-on-a-leased-gc-73763.html)

AquaForester 04-07-2014 01:18 PM

Modifications on a Leased GC

I know most of you probably purchased your WK2, but I think there is a fair amount of leased vehicles as well. I know heavy modifications are tough to do since you'll probably be returning the jeep in a few years, but I'm curious what mods you have done or planning to do.

I leased a 2014 GC Limited with 20"/NAV/Tow Package. The only modification I'v done (actually had dealer do it as part of the lease) was to install tow hooks in the front. I'm planning on going to a larger or different tire and possibly having the RRO level kit install in the front.

Jim_in_PA 04-07-2014 02:39 PM

Re: Modifications on a Leased GC

I think I would urge caution about doing any kind of "material" mods. Changing wheels/tires is no biggie because you can flip them back. Tow hooks are somewhat inconsequential and you can just leave them on. Personally, I don't know that I would do anything with the suspension. I wouldn't remove badging, either.

The bottom line is that with a lease, we don't own the vehicle so care is needed.

AquaForester 04-07-2014 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim_in_PA (Post 1004655)
I think I would urge caution about doing any kind of "material" mods. Changing wheels/tires is no biggie because you can flip them back. Tow hooks are somewhat inconsequential and you can just leave them on. Personally, I don't know that I would do anything with the suspension. I wouldn't remove badging, either.

The bottom line is that with a lease, we don't own the vehicle so care is needed.

Don't disagree, but some of the mods (like RRO Level, spacers, etc.) can be taken out I believe and either resold or used on next jeep, etc.

Jim_in_PA 04-07-2014 04:35 PM

If you feel the mod can be easily removed and don't feel uncomfortable that something will materially alter the long-term performance of the vehicle in any way, go for it! You just don't want to get dinged at turn-in time for "perceived damage", as it were. ;)

AquaForester 04-07-2014 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim_in_PA (Post 1004705)
If you feel the mod can be easily removed and don't feel uncomfortable that something will materially alter the long-term performance of the vehicle in any way, go for it! You just don't want to get dinged at turn-in time for "perceived damage", as it were. ;)

Yep, thanks. I'll probably check with the dealer before I do anything. For example, I know the guy at RRO told me that about half of the leveling kits go right to dealers, so I'm thinking it might not affect the warranty or lease end. Part of the reason for this thread is to see what others have done and if there was any ill-effects when they turned the Jeep in.

zhenya 04-07-2014 05:02 PM

So far I installed the tow hooks and skid plates. Tinted the front windows and the brow on the windshield and plastidipped a bunch of parts, on my '14 Limited Lease.

Might as well enjoy the car for 3 years, even though its a lease.

Plastidip can always be removed, tow hooks and skid plates as well, and none of the banks that I've dealt with care about window tint

AquaForester 04-07-2014 05:44 PM

Sounds good Zhenya. Your a few steps ahead of me, I'll probably do the skid plates next. Still deciding on what do with tires. I lean a different way everyday between going to 275/55/20 AT or just getting a second set of 18" rims and maybe 265/65/18. This way I don't have to do any mods on the jeep and I could sell the rims and tires if I can't use them on the next jeep. I also thought about getting stock 20" size AT tires and I'm wondering if Jeep would be good with that when I turn it in and I could sell the stock Goodyears, but they might get me on the AT vs All Season.

2014GC 04-07-2014 09:54 PM

One thing to remember, a lease has a buyout just like a vehicle that is financed. Take reasonable care and think twice about the mods you install and towards the end of the lease you can either sell it outright or trade it in.
I have never turned back in a leased vehicle and came out alright on each.
Even with higher mileage than the lease permitted. I've always leased with nothing down and made sure they use the discounted price in the lease equation.

AquaForester 04-07-2014 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2014GC (Post 1004860)
..towards the end of the lease you can either sell it outright or trade it in.

You mean buy it outright or am I missing something.

Yep I've pretty much done the same thing. No money down, just the first payment and tags, no cc, no tax no loan fees, etc. My 2014 is my third Jeep lease, I ha a '97 GC that I bought at lease end. It was financed by jeep (or whoever owned jeep in back then and they were very negotiable.

denis4x4 04-08-2014 09:20 AM

On several occasions, I took a list of modifications along with the parts and labor costs and had them built into the cost of the lease. The lease agent handled the actual installation and figured the residual. There were always a couple of items that were rejected from time to time. In my experience, working with a lease agent is sometimes easier than working with a dealer.

makris0000 04-08-2014 09:34 PM

I am currently leasing my GC Laredo and i have not done any modifications because I will most likely end up giving the car in at the end of the lease. I know getting new wheels, speakers, radio, etc are easy to do because the can be swapped at the end of the lease but I am not doing any mods on mine because after 3 years ill have the equipment and I will have no use for them. That just my opinion.

AquaForester 04-10-2014 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makris0000 (Post 1005319)
I am currently leasing my GC Laredo and i have not done any modifications because I will most likely end up giving the car in at the end of the lease. I know getting new wheels, speakers, radio, etc are easy to do because the can be swapped at the end of the lease but I am not doing any mods on mine because after 3 years ill have the equipment and I will have no use for them. That just my opinion.

Actually you can probably use the some of that stuff again, especially if you get another jeep. You can also buy/sell on the secondary market to recoup costs.