Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   My Air Filter (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/my-air-filter-7384.html)

White WK Swagga 03-10-2010 02:49 PM

My Air Filter

I'm a little embarrassed to show this but who else would I show it to other than MY JG family. I got my jeep new about 11 months ago with 20 something miles on it I believe. I've done all my oil changes ever 3k miles except the last one. I went 7k but it was mostly highway. I plan on changing the oil again in 2k miles. So far I have 20k miles and I realized I haven't changed the air filter. I was thinking about a K&N and getting the TB ported but at times I feel it's not really a performance vehicle and it's more trouble than its worth since I only plan on keeping it another 2 years tops. But I changed the air filter today and this is what the old filter looked like.

http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/u...E78/001-17.jpg

By the way I now have the basic purolator. Iíve just driven 5 miles or so back to work but I def notice a difference. (I also reset the adaptive throttle control) For $14. I was compromising the performance of my vehicle. Not to mention Iíll prob improve my mileage slightly.

IMO everyone, Change your air filters regularly.

SRTILL8 03-10-2010 02:53 PM

Re: My Air Filter

i have a drop in k&n. never really need to change it after that. others will come in and say oil on the filters blah blah etc etc. to each their own. gl though yo

this is the meantime until i decide on a CAI.

Devilsmed98 03-10-2010 02:55 PM

Damn I can't imagine how much maintenance I should be doing on mine right now. I got mine at 38k miles with no records of any oil changes or any servicing. Now its at 40k with still nothing done to it. I'm pretty afraid to take my air filter or spark plugs out and see how they look.

How did you reset the adaptive throttle control may I ask?

White WK Swagga 03-10-2010 03:08 PM

This is from Peter's post

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjs1965 (Post 124819)
What about re-calibrating the throttle? It's the Drive-by-wire stuff in the 'adaptives' no?

Here's the steps you need to follow:
1. Find an unused section of road with a good spot to pull-off/turn-around.
2. Pull off of the road and shut your car off.
3. Turn your key to the "On" position (but don't start the car), and wait for the 'idiot' lights to go out.
4. Press down on the accelerator, and let it back up.
5. Turn your car off.
6. Re-start your car and cruise up and down the road testing your throttle responsiveness.
Depending on how fast/slow you do the 4th step, your throttle will either become more or less sensitive/responsive.
Repeat steps #1 through #5 as needed until you're satisfied that your throttle response is as good as it's going to get.

Remember these things 'learn' how you drive so if you drive like Grandma for a few days, it's adjusts accordingly.

05quadratrac 03-10-2010 03:43 PM

That looks clean compared to mine, I changed mine after 36k miles when I threw a K&N intake on :o

05quadratrac 03-10-2010 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devilsmed98 (Post 166914)
Damn I can't imagine how much maintenance I should be doing on mine right now. I got mine at 38k miles with no records of any oil changes or any servicing. Now its at 40k with still nothing done to it. I'm pretty afraid to take my air filter or spark plugs out and see how they look.

How did you reset the adaptive throttle control may I ask?

I just did my plugs and changed my oil and threw in some M1 Synthetic its all simple jobs as im sure you know, the plugs took me like an hour and the oil like 20min and it made a difference in performance and im starting to see some better MPG im averaging about 10.3 now vs. 8.3 before. I also switched out the old dirty air filter and threw in a K&N intake which made a huge difference. Next I plan on changing the oil in the transfer case and differentials and I think I should be good for a long time, i'll work on the tranny filter and fluid later.

08Hemi 03-10-2010 03:58 PM

LMFAO Nate...when are you gonna make yourself an intake? I wish I was out by you cause I would def give you a push to get er done! Just a thought...you could prolly make one for $50

White WK Swagga 03-10-2010 04:41 PM

I was going to buy the K&N but IDK. I really done race or anything. Yeah it's nice to beef it up a little but I don't plan on keeping this jeem for more than another 2 years

08Hemi 03-10-2010 04:55 PM

not a matter of racing Nate...I don't race mine :)

it would give you a better sound, potentially better gas mileage, and a little bit of HP for freeway merging or when you wanna smoke Irfy

IDK just a thought...cheap and easy mod that you could enjoy for 2 years

05quadratrac 03-10-2010 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White WK Swagga (Post 166965)
I was going to buy the K&N but IDK. I really done race or anything. Yeah it's nice to beef it up a little but I don't plan on keeping this jeem for more than another 2 years

Its worth it, I think I paid like $260 for my K&N setup, they claim like 12HP and have a dyno paper that comes with it to "prove" it but the best part is the sound, I put it on the day before I installed my muffler and it actually sounded like I had a new exhaust on the car even though I was still running stock and it looks cool in the engine bay and makes working on your engine a lot easier without the bulky stock setup in the way, I didnt even have to move it to change my plugs like I would have had to with the stock intake. You could always sell it when you sell your car since I see them selling used in the 140ish range and make some of the money back. :D

DJ BoNiOmArIo 03-10-2010 06:12 PM

Nate stop being cheap and do the K&N already !!!

White Chocolate 03-10-2010 06:29 PM

Lol NATE brother, I do oil changes every 3500km regularly, with a new air filter every time!

My baby deserves nothin but the best....