Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Aftermarket Cold Air Intake... Why? Which one? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/aftermarket-cold-air-intake-why-which-one-73877.html)

PhillyAnt 04-10-2014 03:01 AM

Aftermarket Cold Air Intake... Why? Which one?

Help a noobie out please :D

I've never really messed with any of my 4 wheeled vehicles and I am itching to have some fun with my Summit. I know what a CAI does but was hoping for some info from the experienced users on this forum. I see so many people throwing the Volant name around. I used the K&N brand on my motorcycles in the past. Which brand CAI do you like the best and why? I know that to get the best upgrade you need to do other things to your vehicle, but what will installing one of these do for me? I read a lot of people love the sound it produces, even without an exhaust. What kind of sound are we talking about here?

Out of all the I takes on this page, which do you like the best? I was leaning towards the Volant. Is it worth spending the extra money for the higher priced Volant on this page. Cold Air Intakes

f1anatic 04-10-2014 06:08 AM

Re: Aftermarket Cold Air Intake... Why? Which one?

Have you asked yourself where s the "cold" in the "cold air intakes" coming from? Because all I see in these aftermarket intakes is either open filters that suck air directly from the freezing engine compartment...or assemblies that basically replace the factory air filter box and are still dependent on a factory snorkel in the same spot.

I think, for most aftermarket cold air intakes, the proven merits of any performance gains come not from the "cold air" but from the increased filtration surface area and reduced turbulence in ducting (removal of the factory air baffles and silencers) - with the caveat that certain aftermarket ducts are made of aluminium and that metal is a better conductor of the freezing cold generated by the engine.

In all seriousness, most of the commercial solutions suck in hot air from the engine bay or they are fancy replacements for the factory air box. A real cold air intake should lower the temperature of the intake air - and for that whatever assembly you are buying should include a snorkel to get cold air from either inside of the car or the fender or inside of the wheel well or something. The colder intake air (which at best will be at ambient air temperature) will still warm up as it travels thru the filter and thru the laminar flow duct (smooth walled, straight sections, no silencers) and will produce some additional power along with whistling noises.

Such a better example of cold air intake would be the Banks Power Super Scoop.
I just made my own.

JohnC 04-10-2014 07:38 AM

True that most are just higher flowing filter and straight tubing to enhance the sound. Sometimes you can work wonders on the factory air box by eliminating some of the restrictive plumbing coming into it, a better air filter and finding a direct route for fresh air. I did this on an Acura TSX that I had. Picked up noticeable power off the line and a couple of MPGs. It also did sound much better. The car went from only being able to chirp the tires a little on take off to being able to spin them about 10 feet. I'm sure the jeep could benefit from some better air. The plumbing between the air box and the throttle body looks restrictive as well on the jeep though. You can always get creative with some tubing yourself for that.

2014RedHemiGC 04-10-2014 09:00 AM

I like the K&N - the intake temp monitored by my ScanGauge2 is usually only a few degrees above ambient as long as the vehicle is moving.

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/...nc/Intake5.jpg

Chunderboy 04-10-2014 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f1anatic (Post 1005943)
Have you asked yourself where s the "cold" in the "cold air intakes" coming from? Because all I see in these aftermarket intakes is either open filters that suck air directly from the freezing engine compartment...or assemblies that basically replace the factory air filter box and are still dependent on a factory snorkel in the same spot.

I think, for most aftermarket cold air intakes, the proven merits of any performance gains come not from the "cold air" but from the increased filtration surface area and reduced turbulence in ducting (removal of the factory air baffles and silencers) - with the caveat that certain aftermarket ducts are made of aluminium and that metal is a better conductor of the freezing cold generated by the engine.

In all seriousness, most of the commercial solutions suck in hot air from the engine bay or they are fancy replacements for the factory air box. A real cold air intake should lower the temperature of the intake air - and for that whatever assembly you are buying should include a snorkel to get cold air from either inside of the car or the fender or inside of the wheel well or something. The colder intake air (which at best will be at ambient air temperature) will still warm up as it travels thru the filter and thru the laminar flow duct (smooth walled, straight sections, no silencers) and will produce some additional power along with whistling noises.

Such a better example of cold air intake would be the Banks Power Super Scoop.
I just made my own.

The banks idea is interesting, but wouldn't you just flood the engine if you hit a deep puddle and bc of the location of the intake, you would just flood the engine?

Jim_in_PA 04-10-2014 10:41 AM

The OEM air intake is not that far afield from the third party CAI when you really look at it's design and construction. Whether there is a true performance increase is something that many folks discuss in that area of the forum. That said, no question, there is a "sound" difference with the third party CAI if you're one who likes that kind of thing.

PhillyAnt 04-10-2014 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunderboy (Post 1006020)
The banks idea is interesting, but wouldn't you just flood the engine if you hit a deep puddle and bc of the location of the intake, you would just flood the engine?

Looks like it has a place for the water to release out the back.

Chunderboy 04-10-2014 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillyAnt (Post 1006029)
Looks like it has a place for the water to release out the back.

Point...counterpoint..

Next question.. What happens if it gets clogged with snow, wouldn't the engine overheat bc of the lack of flow?

DerekH 04-10-2014 11:36 AM

As it has already been mentioned, most of them increase filter area, which increases flow. But many of them just have basic air dams that only somewhat shield it from the engine heat. If you're idling in traffic (towing a trailer?), you're probably getting more cold air with a stock intake.

The Volant does seem to be the superior design.

I had one of those lower plastic scoops on my 5L mustang, and it was surprising how many bugs it scooped up. I eventually removed it and just put a conical in the inner fender.

I'm very skeptical of the mpg claims. If they were really that good, wouldn't all the manufacturers being doing this from the factory?

Kjens2004 04-10-2014 12:52 PM

When I was looking a CAI I found the volant was open towards the bottom (that may have changed or I could be wrong) so someone that has one may know better. But for that reason I went with thr AFE. I've used AFE on my jeep and ram and love them. It still uses air from the stock air scoop/snorkel under the hood and from what ive seen protects the intake better than others like the volant. The AFE is open a little more than I would like towards the fender but ive been able to drive, faster than I should have, through significant standing water and there was no evidence of spray any where near my filter. And the sound is awesome and , it may be a placebo effect, but it feels a little more responsive.

pinetar 04-10-2014 03:51 PM

This video kinda settled the argument over performance gains, for me...

Cold Air Intakes Mythbusted - YouTube

jgc4ever 04-10-2014 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinetar (Post 1006156)
This video kinda settled the argument over performance gains, for me...

Cold Air Intakes Mythbusted - YouTube

That was good. I removed the CAI from my ebay watch list. :thumbsup: