Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   Extended warranty (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/extended-warranty-73878.html)

bob r 04-10-2014 05:12 AM

Extended warranty

Hi all, I finally pick up my vehicle on Monday and dealer has offered extended warranty, 6 years, 175k
This effectively gives me an additional 3 years/ 75000 km
Normal cost is $ 3500 he will do for $2800
Is it worth having this extended warranty and is the cost reasonable?
There are several on offer and depends on km driven each year but this one does not limit me to services at purchasing dealer
Yr thoughts greatly appreciated
Bob

venman 05-22-2014 12:20 PM

Re: Extended warranty

Hi Bob

I am in a similar quandry, I pick my car up in 8 days.

The dealer has offered me a 2 year extended warranty from Alliance Auto Assure which seems reasonably comprehensive (doesn't cover paint/trim/bodywork) and has offered to throw in the window tinting ($800 at dealer pricing) for $1900.

They have also offered the same price if taken with the Jeep extended warranty. Initially I thought this sounded pretty good until I read the Jeep pdf for the warranty, it actually covers way less than the third party one, seems to be just a mechanical/drivetrain warranty......wtf.....

After reading thru the Jeep pdf I'm thinking if thats the manfuctaurers take on extended warranty I may just skip the whole thing and get the tinting done myself and invest in opticoat paint protection.

Oh well, gotta give them an answer tommorrow :(

tomstromie 05-23-2014 07:35 PM

I think those are both great deals - for the dealer. I'm on my 4th Jeep, and not one has cost me that much in 175,000 miles to say nothing about 175,000 km.

SNUKE 05-23-2014 07:56 PM

Allianz offer an extended warranty that is supposed to be a true extension of the original warranty.
Most dealer offered warranties aren't worth a damn thing. They also require you to get your services there.

Prices shown are apparently the recommended and a special price if i had done it within two weeks. I passed, I doubt I will keep it beyond 3 years.

http://i1360.photobucket.com/albums/...psd69ddbb2.jpg

GMWK2 05-24-2014 02:54 AM

Quote:

window tinting ($800 at dealer pricing)
$800 is robbery. I paid $320 at Solartint.

venman 05-25-2014 05:07 AM

Told the dealer no thanks to both the extended warranty and tinting, they were disappointed.

I will get the tinting done myself. Does the solar glass actually need tinting, even if just for UV protection?

ENFORCER 05-25-2014 05:34 AM

Just tint the front windows. It should cost you around $100.

GMWK2 05-25-2014 05:34 AM

The dealer was disappointed??? They should be ashamed!

allypally 05-25-2014 06:13 PM

lol. "disappointed".
What, they could no longer afford the house renovations with the lost commission?

Benn0 05-25-2014 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ENFORCER (Post 1027669)
Just tint the front windows. It should cost you around $100.

I'm getting the tint done this week, I was under the impression that the rear windows with factory 'tint' didn't filter UV. BUT looking a little bit more into it, it seems the rear factory tint is blocking UV and IR. Here is a post of a response from Jeep in the US:

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobkbusch (Post 410395)
I emailed Chrysler Customer Service and asked about the factory tint on the 2011 Jeep GC. Here is the reply I just received:

The tint on the rear side glass (side drop windows and quarter glass) provides a variety of functions. First and foremost it reduces the visible light transmission into the vehicle to approximately 18%.
Second, the entire UV spectrum is reduced such that less than 12% of the UV light passes through. This is 12% of a very small amount and virtually 0% transmission of UV light with wavelength less than 380 nm.
Also, this privacy glass blocks the IR (infrared) portion of the spectrum such that only 16% of the IR light passes through the glass.
This is the portion of the suns energy that contains the majority of the heat.'

SO I'm guessing there is no point in a clear tint on the rear glass......?

fwdjeep 05-25-2014 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by venman (Post 1027666)
Told the dealer no thanks to both the extended warranty and tinting, they were disappointed.

I will get the tinting done myself. Does the solar glass actually need tinting, even if just for UV protection?

The reason they are disappointed is because they make at least 100% profit on these thing for making a simple 20cent phone call.
You just cost them money and their bonus.

Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage

ENFORCER 05-25-2014 10:43 PM

My mate does tinting and detailing for several local car dealers.
He charges $495 for the tint and paint protection, that the dealers sell for $1600 to $2600 per car. The markup is a hell of a lot more than 100%, so I can understand why your dealer is disappointed. It always pays to shop around when it comes to products sold by the Ming Mole.